Misternatural

rules for demo's

My local sport flying club is having a fly in this Summer. I suggested at the last meeting that I could get some local skydivers to maybe do a demo. This is a nice rural airport with a big grassy landing area and lots of outs. What are the rules & who should I get in touch with? I think it would be really cool to show these pilots what skydivers can do. (besides drink, wize guy)

"hey, they have the internet on computers now" H.S.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

It sounds like a local pilot get together, probably near your home drop zone in Vermont. There aren't many jumpers in that (umm, this) region, so unless you want to import a team from the Boston or New York areas, you will be somewhat limited.

Since it is on an airport with lots of outs, it probably isn't a very tough jump technically, but there are some big stress issues for jumpers, so experience is important. I'd suggest you check in with the folks at Vermont Skydiving (listed as your home DZ on the profile) and let them know where and when the demo is. They should be able to tell you what kind of airspace is involved, and what authorizations or notifications are required. They should also be able to hook you up with willing and qualified jumpers, and probably an airplane.

You should do some research first. The SIM, mentioned in an earlier post, is a good place to begin. Check the section on exhibition jumping, and also the FAR's and AC's in the back of the SIM.

The other thing to think about is that your local sport flying club is made up of pilots who fly...sometimes directly over active drop zones. It would be super good if you could put together a seminar or evening program for them about drop zones and how to both identify and avoid DZ's when flying (hint: they are not included in GPS). It's an interesting seminar topic, and if you are in or near the Southern Vermont area I'll be happy to assist.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Thanks y'all,
Very helpful, The club has a small expense account,but I'll ask how much they are willing to spend. Anyway I'm thinking that it will be a small uncomplicated demo with qualified local jumpers doing average DZ manuvers, That will be plenty exciting. As for a seminar on DZ flyovers Tom, Thats a great idea since this is a fly in and hopefully lots of pilots will be there, They need educating for sure, I'd be glad to do the talking with the right info provided, but if you want to, it would be an honor.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

... a small uncomplicated demo with qualified local jumpers doing average DZ manuvers ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Try to remember that what impresses skydivers may not impress a non-jumping audience.

For example, a 500 foot turf surf may result it comments like: "Dude didn't land on the target."

3.5 Rules for demo jumps:

1: Stay alive

2: Land in the promised landing area

3: Stand up your landings

3.5: Keep the FAA happy

HELL YEAH! Oh wait...HEY, we do freebies once ina a while, don't we?!?!?!?

Every once and awhile you have to do a pay back. Those are the ones we ask you on.;)

Sparky

If ya charge 'em NOTHING....

Then that's what they think you're worth!;):ph34r:

Make a Skydive...Get a Check!>:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The purpose of demos is to promote the sport.

You can get a group of sub-100 square foot canopies, from deployment to landing takes ~30 seconds, if the spectators can find them in the sky, then it's a 30 seconds show. Long surf, the spectators think 'impressive but scary, i don't think i could do this'.

Or you can get a bunch of accuracy canopies, it takes them 3 minutes from two thousand feet, they are big and slow so people can find them in the sky. They land as if they had jumped from a chair and people think 'this is so soft, i think even i could do this'.

Ps. i have 5 mains, i chose the big ones for demos, not of necessity!

It's been my experience that demos don't really sell people on making a skydive. They don't seem to connect seeing expert skydivers, with them being able to do a tandem, or solo first jump.

Most skydivers think it's against USPA rules to do a tandem into a demo. Has to be both Pro rated to do anything small, but I've taken a tandem into a couple of open field demos. People can more easily connect themselves doing a jump, when they see the elementary school principal doing it into the play (very large open) ground!

Look at the SIM before you tell me that I'm breaking rules!!

Martin

The purpose of demos is to promote the sport.

You can get a group of sub-100 square foot canopies, from deployment to landing takes ~30 seconds, if the spectators can find them in the sky, then it's a 30 seconds show. Long surf, the spectators think 'impressive but scary, i don't think i could do this'.

Or you can get a bunch of accuracy canopies, it takes them 3 minutes from two thousand feet, they are big and slow so people can find them in the sky. They land as if they had jumped from a chair and people think 'this is so soft, i think even i could do this'.

Ps. i have 5 mains, i chose the big ones for demos, not of necessity!

Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

but I've taken a tandem into a couple of open field demos.

Open field is described as:

Open Field

1. A minimum-sized area that will accommodate a landing area no less than 500,000 square feet (e.g., 750 x 750 feet, or an area with the sum total that equals 500,000 square feet)2. Allows a jumper to drift over the spectators with sufficient altitude (250 feet) so as not to create a hazard to persons or property on the ground3. Will accommodate landing no closer than 100 feet from the spectators

2006 SIM

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals