kosanke

DENIED ACCESS

Today, Friday, at SKYDIVE MONTEREY BAY I was denied access. Tandems were being loaded and I was informed of a NEW POLICY. Up Jumpers are not allowed to jump during the weekdays. Come back on the Weekend. WEEKENDS ONLY for up jumpers. That's right. go through their AFF, spend thousands there to get your license, buy an eclipse rig, then you are not welcomed during the week. TANDEMS ONLY

Well at least they're clear on where they stand, unlike the DZOs that pay lip service to upjumpers then bump them off loads all weekend. [:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Well, I suspected that would happen. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and sure enough, he's the reason some people are bitter against skydiving.

Go to Hollister. It's less busy during the week but you will never get that treatment.

Also, take a trip to Bryon, or Skydance, or Lodi. You won't get that type of treatment there either.

If you're traveling up from Paso, then it's certainly a hike to get denied. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.

Change your profile so Monterey isn't your home DZ because it isn't. If you are not staff, it's not your home.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Today, Friday, at SKYDIVE MONTEREY BAY I was denied access. Tandems were being loaded and I was informed of a NEW POLICY. Up Jumpers are not allowed to jump during the weekdays. Come back on the Weekend. WEEKENDS ONLY for up jumpers. That's right. go through their AFF, spend thousands there to get your license, buy an eclipse rig, then you are not welcomed during the week. TANDEMS ONLY

If I were you, I wouldn't jump there on weekends either.

Phil

Correct. I felt like it was my home. Just disappointed with the new policy. USPA should not be concerned about having government officials deny airport access, our fellow skydivers are doing that to us in the name of business. Famous words from the GODFATHER. TELL MICHAEL, IT WAS JUST BUSINESS.

That whole getting kicked of the airport thing has been stirring since day 1. I don't really believe there is an issue on that airport otherwise they'd have been kicked off long ago. It’s a fact that people will land off, get hurt and even killed. All those things have occurred and nothing came of it.

There are way too many stories and I’m not going to tell them here.

Good luck.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I hope that I'm not misunderstood. Monterey bay is a great DZ. Safe, fun and great views. It's just that the new owners have made a business decision to support tandems and to turn their backs on upjumpers. at least during the week. something that is happening too often. just disappointed.

They've got a fancy new website now too. I like the part about the view during the ride to altitude included at no extra charge :D. Of course if they're flying Greg's King Air, there's less than 6 minutes to enjoy that view while ascending to 15k. You probably have more time to admire the bay after you exit the plane.

www.skydivemontereybay.com

Experienced flyers: Coming events:
There are no planned events at this time

I guess like any DZ, I should call before the next time I head out there again.

I hope that I'm not misunderstood. Monterey bay is a great DZ. Safe, fun and great views. It's just that the new owners have made a business decision to support tandems and to turn their backs on upjumpers. at least during the week. something that is happening too often. just disappointed.

Well, it was already leaning way in that direction before the recent owner change. Now it's just been formalized. Guess it saves me the trouble of stopping in.

I didn't take issue with the AFF instruction I got there, but I would have driven far fewer miles, and taken less time, had I done it at Hollister. (I had only intended to do one AFF as part of a tandem party, and I had already been to Holilster, so we picked SMB. )

If they have so many jumpers that they are turning them away, they should buy another friggen plane. I know DZO's don't make a whole lot on experienced jumpers, but they aren't losing money either. Or they wouldn't be in business at all.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Well at least they're clear on where they stand, unlike the DZOs that pay lip service to upjumpers then bump them off loads all weekend.

OMG.. do you mean tht actually happens to some people... WOW...

I remember one DZO who told me he did not give a shit about upjumpers because he could not make any money off of them, unless they were working for him.

Greed is such an ugly thing.

there was a slot available. I was told by greg that it cost 25 bucks to take an upjumper to 10 grand. I indicated i was willing to do a hop and pop. no deal. tandems only. the aircraft left with space available. end of story. he said come back tomorrow. weekends only