If a jump went bad and you ended up paralysed from the waist down, would you think it had been worth it?

What a great post...

Inspiring - thanks dude...

Mykel,

I read your post in the "what if you had to give up skydiving" thread and it got me thinking...

Skydiving, among other things, is exactly what makes life so precious. I realized that if I were in a wheelchair, some of the things I would miss the most (like skydiving, skiing, climbing, driving...) are exactly the sort of things that could put me in that wheelchair. So if I choose not to do those things and thus avoid the risks, then how much have I gained?

The Buddhist concept of Yin and Yang states (among other things) that you cannot define anything without its opposite. Skydiving makes my life experience more rich in part because were I paralyzed I could never experience skydiving again. If I do not skydive, and am later redered unable to skydive, then in that small way, I have lost nothing... because I never had anything in the first place.

Upon this reflection, I have changed my mind... I say that yes, if I were paralyzed jumping, the experience of jumping, and all the other things that could hurt me, were worth it. Of course, I will still make every effort to not let it happen.

My best of luck to you in your upcoming surgery. I truly hope you are back in the air very soon!
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Yup. I kinda thought we covered all this back before jump #1 when we all had to decide for ourselves if living THAT brightly was worth the chance of dying that quickly. I think pretty much all bad shit that can happen is a subset of or covered by the term "dying." Could be a crater tomorrow, so I'll be a bird, today.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Skydiving, among other things, is exactly what makes life so precious. I realized that if I were in a wheelchair, some of the things I would miss the most (like skydiving, skiing, climbing, driving...) are exactly the sort of things that could put me in that wheelchair. So if I choose not to do those things and thus avoid the risks, then how much have I gained?

As I have followed this thread and thought about it, this statement pretty much sums it up for me. That, and what billvon said. My life is completely different than it was before I began to skydive: I met my life partner, who enriches my life daily; my students who became lifelong friends who also enrich me. I don't know who I would have been had not skydiving entered into my life.

As the years pass, and the jumps add up, the passion I had for jumping itself begins to fade into something else. But still, when I open up under canopy after a wonderful jump and feel the moment, I cannot imagine life without having had the experience.

I had a terrible accident that could have paralyzed me, but more than a thousand jumps later, and the wrestling with whether to return to skydiving and possibly get hurt again, I'm sure glad I did. But what was right for me is not right for everyone.

DJan

Well, considering that we're force-fed the consequences and the risks of jumping from Day 1 in the FJC, I think we've all had to make that personal choice. But it's easy when you believe nothing can happen to you. I fractured my spine on one of my early jumps. I was scared to death that I might never walk again as I was carried to the ambulance. But even after that incident, I missed the feeling because I couldn't get it anywhere else. I think another big part of it was conquering my fear after that jump. But I did jump again, and I'll never regret it. I guess some people may not feel that way, based on their experiences. But I wouldn't trade anything for the things I've learned from jumping.

Blue Skies,

Skydude
PULL!! or DIE!!

Thanks for sharing your real experience. You obviously have a good attitude and a love for life.

I'll bet you had that before the accident, but your new future made you decide whether to stand by it or give up. I hope that I would be strong enough to see all that life has to offer like you do.

I love UDSkyJunkie's post:

That makes so much sense to me and although my thoughts weren't as eloquent when I began skydiving, that sentiment is what continually allows me to justify the risk for the reward. My Mom said to me a long time ago when I was very young, "anything good and worth having/doing is probably bad for you, but you have to decide if it's worth it." My Grandma also made the speech about "regretting what you have done, is always better than regretting what you haven't."

There is so much more to life than skydiving, as you have stated. Skydiving is one way to live it to the fullest. If that ever goes away, don't regret any of it, there are plenty of other reasons to keep being a stubborn-ass! ;)

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

I've never met anyone who wanted to be seriously injured...

I believe that not living our lives is a kind of paralysis or death anyway. Routine...get up, shower, go to work at the same time, talk to the same people, listen to the same talk show on the way home, pet the dog, eat, watch your favorite mindless show, go to bed and do it all again the next day. To me, this is already being dead. I did it for years and the things that I look back with fondness on are the times when I stepped out of the routine and did something different.

Life rushes into me right before I jump out that door, or lean my head back on a warm day riding down a country road, on my Harley. I yell as loud as I can "THANK YOU GOD"!!! I am truly alive.

If I end up in a bad way, at least I'll know what it felt like to live.

I know a lot of people, and so very few carry the aura of "being alive" like those I jump with.

Edited to add: I wonder if it would be possible to "sit-fly" and land in a backless wheelchair?

Dont really know how to comment on this question but at work I see people that have thier lives changed very sudden and unexpected. People driving to work, shopping at Wal-Mart, walking up the stairs, the list is endless. Things happen both medical and traumatic that nobody expects. Im definately a cautious jumper and I dont think too hard on what "might" happen. I do everything I can to avoid injury. I broke my leg in 2 places landing once, and it totaly sucked, but not gonna stop me from jumping. I dont know, I think I just look at it as sure, this sport may cost me my ability to walk, or even breathe, but so might painting my ceiling.

Hope I dont sound non-chalante(sp?) about the whole thing, but if I think nothing but fearful thoughts about things I do, there's no pleasure in life.

ed
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Things happen both medical and traumatic that nobody expects.

Yup, for me it was getting hit by a car as a pedestrian. I ended up being fine after several months of healing/recovery, but an experience like that made me realize that shit happens even when you're living a "low risk" life... so yeah, the risk of skydiving is "worth it" for me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am still very much a newbie, but after I finished AFF and realized that this addiction wasn't going to go away, I spent an entire night up reading the fatality and incidents board. I wanted to make sure I WAS aware of the risks and wasn't kidding myself. It was a long and somewhat depressing night of insomnia for me, but didn't change my mind at all.

I can't say if it would be "worth it". Even more so than dying, I fear not being able to live a full life. My hobby is sky diving, my career and passion is training horses for show jumping....if I couldn't use my legs, what would I do??? But while both these sports are extremely dangerous, I agree that you can get injured doing anything, anywhere. You can't not do things just because of what might happen. And thats why I don't let the risk stop me from getting on a horse every work day, or climbing out the door on my days off.
~Dottie

“Everything looks perfect from far away.”
Postal Service, Such Great Heights