mysky

Question about distance from airports for skydiving

My friend is taking his test for a B license and had borrowed my 2006 SIM. However he cannot find an answer to one of the questions asked and I just don't remember and I am a little embarrassed I don't know the answer as a skydiver and a pilot. So if anyone knows this please respond. The question is, what is the furthest distance a skydiver can be dropped from the dropzone? It is a multiple choice questions with the answers ranging from certain distances to unlimited mileage with seats and seatbelts. Please help. Thanks.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those that know how to count, and those who don't.

Actual answer would be great. I probably could find it in my FAR/AIM's but am just to lazy. Typical skydiver I know but just this once would be great. Thanks.B|

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those that know how to count, and those who don't.

Thanks very much. Is it really on the screen and I can't see it? Or am I just the victim of one of many skydiving pranks I've been blinded by over the years.

25 miles

And I'm just as lazy as the next guy. Where is this written?

took me all of 60 seconds to find this... http://www.uspa.org/publications/SIM/2006SIM/section9part119.htm :D

and for those really lazy people.... it's the last line ;)

Sec. 119.1 Applicability

(a) This part applies to each person operating or intending to operate civil aircraft--

(1) As an air carrier or commercial operator, or both, in air commerce; or

(2) When common carriage is not involved, in operations of U.S.-registered civil airplanes with a seat configuration of 20 or more passengers, or a maximum payload capacity of 6,000 pounds or more.

(b) This part prescribes--

(1) The types of air operator certificates issued by the Federal Aviation Administration, including air carrier certificates and operating certificates;

(e) Except for operations when common carriage is not involved conducted with airplanes having a passenger-seat configuration of 20 seats or more, excluding any required crewmember seat, or a payload capacity of 6,000 pounds or more, this part does not apply to--

(6) Nonstop flights conducted within a 25-statute-mile radius of the airport of takeoff carrying persons or objects for the purpose of conducting intentional parachute operations.

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I'm on a Mac and that does nothing. Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp!:S

I'm on a Mac too. Just 'highlight' the area below his visable text and it'll flush out the white text.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

But aren't you exempt from Part 119 if your aircraft has a seat configuration less than 20 seats or payload capacity less than 6000 lbs?

The way I read this is that you can drop any distance as long as you don't have 20 seats (etc). I could be missing something since this is only a portion of part 119.

But aren't you exempt from Part 119 if your aircraft has a seat configuration less than 20 seats or payload capacity less than 6000 lbs?

The way I read this is that you can drop any distance as long as you don't have 20 seats (etc). I could be missing something since this is only a portion of part 119.

The word "seat" in this case would be interpreted to include any passenger berthing station that has a "safety belt", including the floor of the aircraft.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

As I read the regulations…

Part 119 deals with Air Carriers and Commercial Operators, and prescribes the specific regulations that cover those operations (i.e. parts 121, 135). Skydiving operations hold out to the public, that is they serve a large number of unrelated individuals, and they charge a fee for those services. Skydiving SHOULD be considered a commercial operation and covered under part 135 EXCEPT that we have a very cool exclusion under part 119.

Part 119(e)(b) excludes: “…Nonstop flights conducted within a 25-statute-mile radius of the airport of takeoff carrying persons or objects for the purpose of conducting intentional parachute operations….”

If we fly further than 25 miles, we will no longer be covered by the exclusion, and would thus be regulated under part 135, a very stringent regulation for commercial operators.

For the complete regulation see http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14tab_02.tpl.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

The word "seat" in this case would be interpreted to include any passenger berthing station that has a "safety belt", including the floor of the aircraft.

That is exactly my point. I have never jumped out of a cessna but have from a porter. I'm pretty sure that both of these aircraft have a seat configuration less than 20. I for one won't be the 20th person to squeeze into either of these aircraft.;)

I'm sure with these smaller aircraft jumping from them is covered some other place (maybe part 135). I'm too lazy to go searching for the real answer anyway - as I personally don't care. This is one of the reasons why I personally don't like the way the USPA license exams are organized. For the average skydiver, does knowing this fact make you a better skydiver? How about hot loading (or whatever it's called) fuel on a plane? Now I know I have not been involved in skydiving that long. But not once has the DZO pointed to me (or any skydiver getting ready to board) and told me to fuel the jump plane.

I don't expect or desire anybody to respond to these issues. I really don't want to hijack this thread. I bring these points up as just something to think about.

It's important to know the rules of skydiving. If you're ever offered the chance to jump at a dropzone more than 25 NM from the departure point (in an otter for example), you should know you'd be breaking the law. It's the pilot that really needs to make that call, but skydivers should be aware.

Dave