rasmack

Rapelling from jump plane

I recently saw a video where someone put on a climbing harness and rapelled from a jump plane. My DZ has a C-206, and I was considering what kind of precautions would need to be taken to do the same from our airplane.

I would guess a cutaway system would be needed in the airplane so they could get rid of me in the event of too much drag. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to make this, I am all ears. Of course it would be a good thing to do this at altitude with plenty of time to get rid of the rope if I was cut away.

The tail of our plane is not dangerously low so I do not think the risk of jamming something back there would be very big, but this is where I should probably listen to the advice of more experienced people than myself.

Has anyone tried this? Successfully? Unsuccessfully? B|
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

>I would guess a cutaway system would be needed in the airplane
>so they could get rid of me in the event of too much drag.

I recommend you attach the rope to another person in the door and not the airplane itself. That way a failure of the release mechanism does not result in loss of the aircraft.

I've done this, except I rapelled off another jumper after doing a Mr. Bill. I used a large (harness) ring as a rap ring, then connected that to a riser; the riser was then attached to the other guy's chest strap. (Note that chest straps cannot take opening shock, so you can't exit that way.)

If you want to do it out of a C-206 with a standard door, I'd attach the rope to a rap ring/riser combo and attach it to someone else's harness who is sitting in the door. Exit, rap to the end and drop off. Then have the other jumper reel in the rope. If you get stuck, jumper cuts away the riser and you fall away with the rope (with perhaps a potential ding in the door from the ring flying away.) If that fails, the jumper cuts the riser with a hookknife. If that fails he exits with you.

If you deploy prematurely, he must either cutaway or exit _instantly_ or you risk serious injury or death. Thus, he must always be able to see you.

I like the idea of a standard three-ring cutaway system. Any skydiver will know how to handle it. Might it not also make sense to have the same option on my end if for some reason the rope tangles and I'm stuck in the middle?

One thing I can't quite visualize, though. Are you saying that I should have a person in the door holding my entire bodyweight plus air-resistance? That sounds pretty hard, although I agree with you that a premature deployment would be disastrous if there was no way of releasing me.

Just trying to consider all the what-ifs here. ;)

You should first ask your DZO what he thinks of what your planning to do with his plane. I think that will answer all your questions and end it there;) but if by some chance he has the "Here hold my beer and watch this" attitude then make sure you get lots and lots of Video:ph34r:

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

You should first ask your DZO what he thinks of what your planning to do with his plane. I think that will answer all your questions and end it there;) but if by some chance he has the "Here hold my beer and watch this" attitude then make sure you get lots and lots of Video:ph34r:

He he... I intend to discuss it thoroughly with everybody. DZOs don't exist in Denmark, though. Everything is clubs. I am thus a co-owner of the plane. ;)

OK, keep in mind that a jumper or aircraft trailing a rope or person, or just about anything isn't going to work the way it's supposed to.

Just jump out, and leave it at that. Really.

What if - something gets stuck in the figure 8, something happens to the plane with you halfway down the rope, something happens to your rig with you halfway down the rope, the rope releases from the plane with you halfway down the rope.

I could think or more, but isn't that enough?

Maybe do this from a balloon instead? It seems that there would be less things that could go wrong and kill everybody......

But what do I know anyway?;)

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Maybe do this from a balloon instead? It seems that there would be less things that could go wrong and kill everybody......

But what do I know anyway?;)

Zipp0

one of the coolest rides to altitude was hanging at the end of a rope under a balloon. We tossed ropes over at 1k and rapelled down and rode up to an exit of about 6500'. Everyone else in the basket left and went flying by (make sure they know to launch away from the basket). in the end, just rappelled off into freefall. Attached picture is from another balloon rapell.
------
Michael

I honestly don't even know why this would be cool to try.

Anyone able to enlighten my on why this is worth all the risk? I mean I can see what billvon was talking about, that might be cool. Hell, it even sounds like a decent way to land a Mr. Bill but I guess I don't see what would be cool about hanging from a plane.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

well, I'm one of the people rasmack's discussing this with, and I feel kinda stuck in the middle.
In one way, this could be fun - hanging from the plane. But on the other hand, I have the same thought - why on earth (no pun intended) should we try this, it ain't that much different from just jumping off the plane, but there's a lot of extra things that could go wrong :o
Anyway, I'd rather try a lot of different things before this, there's no rush...

imagination, me boy..imagination.

Where's yours?
:D:D:P;)

Hey I am not saying I can't picture it going on... just can't see how it would be cool. I mean, I have done all kinds of shit including Mr. Bills and cross country, and revserse cross country, and (probally stupidly) jumped all different kinds of inflatable shit out of the side of a plane, want to try bridman, jump a camera (and a camera jacket), and done lots of other odd fuck around jumps...

Just don't know what would make this specific thing any better than just goin skydiving. Well,.. Ok i can see some intrinsic fun... just not enough to take all the risks this would involve.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Just don't know what would make this specific thing any better than just goin skydiving. Well,.. Ok i can see some intrinsic fun... just not enough to take all the risks this would involve.

Especially at 133 jumps.

Like you, I can think of a lot of other things to get good at first!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I honestly don't even know why this would be cool to try.

Anyone able to enlighten my on why this is worth all the risk? I mean I can see what billvon was talking about, that might be cool. Hell, it even sounds like a decent way to land a Mr. Bill but I guess I don't see what would be cool about hanging from a plane.

Most of the planet can't see the point of jumping out of an airplane in the first place...

In all the climbing and rapelling that I have done, I've never been able to just hit the end of my rope and just rapel off the end without getting dead. Hopfully there was alwayys dirt at the end. But it sure would be cool to rapel off the end and go into freefall. But the maybe thats why I barely climb anymore, I took up skydiving to be even higher and not be restricted to a rope.

In all the climbing and rapelling that I have done, I've never been able to just hit the end of my rope and just rapel off the end without getting dead. Hopfully there was alwayys dirt at the end. But it sure would be cool to rapel off the end and go into freefall. But the maybe thats why I barely climb anymore, I took up skydiving to be even higher and not be restricted to a rope.

I think that would be cool too! But not from a plane, a balloon/helicopter seems like a much better platform for this.

As for comparing this to wuffos not understanding skydiving,.. really I just don't see the analogy. I am pretty open minded too! I'm looking at this from a logical standpoint and the only thing that comes to mind is trying to "ski/board" behind the plane al la tailspin. I also don't know many pilots that would put up with that but hey it could be fun!

I am not ragging on anyone in here just trying to understand the desire to be dragged through the sky behind a plane some. :)

hey, if you can find a safe way to do it then more power to ya, I would suggest getting some skydivers / pilots involved that have some experience with these kinds of stunts though. :D
~D

OK, so noone has any experience with this particular scenario. Fair enough. Guess I will try to find the people I saw in the video and hear their considerations. They can't be too hard to find. Denmark is not that big. :)
Two things, though:

Why do this? Well, that is a question that could validly be raised about CRW, FF and a number of other skydiving activities. Anything other than simply jumping solo is adding complications to a skydive. It might turn out not to be fun at all. It might also turn out that to have an unblocked view in all directions without the time constraint of free fall would be fantastic.

Am I going to? Not now of course. What I can do now is research the necessary prerequisites in terms of skills and gear. This I intend to do.

Why do this? Well, that is a question that could validly be raised about CRW, FF and a number of other skydiving activities. Anything other than simply jumping solo is adding complications to a skydive.

While the second half of this statement is true, I don't think you can compare this to doing crew, freeflying, turning points, or anything like that. Maybe you can. dunno. If you want to compare this to something comparing it to Greg Gasson type stunts is probally your best bet.

GL with this, get great video, and try to not die :)
~D

Joe Jennings did a similar stunt years ago. Try to contact him.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes,
... and I vaguely remember something on TV about Jim Wallace assisting with a similar stunt that involved two sky-boarders trailing behind a jump plane.
They were not really "flying" their boards. It was more like dragging.

Balloon sounds the safest, with helicopter being the most dangerous.
I worry about the rope rebounding and tangling with all those expensive moving parts.
As for rapelling from an airplane, I worry about the rope tangling with the tail surfaces. In a "worst case" scenario, the rope jams the tail, rendering the airplane uncontrollable.
But if you are half-owner of the airplane, go for it!
Just remember to take lots of video footage.

Many years ago back in the day I did out of a C-182. I took 100' feet of climbing rope and put 3 wraps around the strut with the short end being held by a jumper in the plane. I wore a climbing harness with an 8 plate under my parachute harness. While still in the plane I hooked the rope to the 8 plate and trailed the remainder out of the plane. I climbed out on the wheel and leaned back until I took up the slack then slowly repelled back past the plane. Caution, it is much harder to control you rate than you would think. At about 75/80 feet I locked off on the 8 plate and played Superman for a short while.

Now the bad part. As we approached the DZ, I unlocked and when over target did a fast repel off the end of the road. As the rope came out of the plate the end beat the crap out of me. It must have hit me 15 times in the face. Well it seemed like 15 times. I had a split lip and a bloody nose. It was not one of my smartest stunts. Exciting but not very smart.[:/]

If you plan on doing this, have someone with climbing experience there to help you.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals