niolosoiale

Planning for AFF

Ok I was sending this to a couple of people I spoke with in PM but I figured I ought as well throw this out in a thread.

Direct copy paste of what I sent them.
--------------------------------------------
Ok so... I'm thinking for the future and how it pertains to going through AFF.

I have a couple ways of doing it and I'm trying to weight out which would be best.

Regardless of the path chosen, I want to go through AFF in a week which I will take off of work.

So here are the ways I'm looking at doing this, in no particular order.

#1 - Do AFF either at OSC or Airtight. Spend no money on tunnel time, have increased chances of retakes.

#2 - Take a 1-2 day trip to Skyventure CO or the tunnel in TN. Do AFF either at OSC or Airtight.

#3 - Take a full out trip to a place like Deland, FL and take their AFF package which includes 20 minutes of tunnel training.

Option 3 is $2k minimum with no retakes when you factor in travel, (600ish according to hotwire)

Option 2 is the cost of AFF at either OK DZ ($1,200/1,300) plus cost of travel to tunnel and tunnel time. So I estimate again, around $2000.

Option 1 is the cost of AFF at either DZ, and additional to whatever I spend in retakes.

Florida has year round better weather than Oklahoma.

Keeping it in oklahoma would allow me to build repertoire with the respective DZ and regulars.

I'm planning on taking out up to a $3,000 loan.

What do you think?
-------------------------------------------

Take your AFF at SDA. Spend the extra money on gear once you graduate AFF.

A far as weather, OK is hot but very good (low winds) in Summer. FL isn't exactly cool. ;) SDA is open 7 days a week all year around and yes, we jump most every week -- Also, you'll learn to spot at SDA. If you are going to be jumping C-182 in OK - that is a good skill to have.

Let me know if you decide to jump at SDA. I look forward to meeting you.

steveOrino

Doh.... I heard nothing mentioned about gear! What's your thoughts on that? :S

... and I'm not going to go anywhere near the 'why go into debt for training when you'll have more than enough opportunities to go into debt later for gear, boogies, camps, & beer'.:P

Hey,

i took my first level of AFF and I did not get to go to level 2. During freefall, i was not touching my hackey so when it came to 4500 to pull, i reached back and felt that my instructor had pulled it and I grabbed the bridle for the pilot chute. His reasoning for pulling was that he thought when it came time to pull, I wouldn't pull, similar to my practice pulls. I can't say whether or not I would have, but I gain the experience of the freefall, I know what to expect, and I feel much more comfortable now.

Tunnel time is not an option for me as I'm up in the great north (Canada), and it's just not economical for anyone to build one around here since the population density is so low.

Either way, I'm happy for the experience and need to get rid of this rain, it's been 2 weeks since my first PFF and I can't jump due to weather.

One thing I'd like to say is this: It's a personal choice, if you are will ing to spend more and travel to make sure everything is done right on the first run, do it. If you're looking to keep costs down, weigh your options, and make a choice. But whatever you do...get in the air!

Blue Skies!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Doh.... I heard nothing mentioned about gear! What's your thoughts on that? :S

... and I'm not going to go anywhere near the 'why go into debt for training when you'll have more than enough opportunities to go into debt later for gear, boogies, camps, & beer'.:P

I didn't want to bring up the gear deal though I have been thinking about it. :D

I plan on paying this "vacation" off in one year and in between then I'll be staying current and making it through the phase II jumps.

After the loan is paid off, I'll probably take out another one to get started with gear.

Who knows I may fall into some money and be able to get gear sooner. (I am anticipating a stout raise by the end of this year)

Gear is definitely on my mind. Spent a lot of time recently designing "dream gear" :D

damn all you salary people! i live off £3000 a year in student loans and spend £10 a week on food so i can afford to jump, gear is an impossible dream! i reckon you should make a holiday out of it, get in the tunnel (not only good for reducing the chance of retakes but a good experience in itself) and have a good time. whats 'phase II' jumping?

Personally I would get gear as soon as you can, I have almost 100 jumps and am kicking myself for not getting gear sooner. To get through AFF i did a jump every other week. Eat ramen noodles... work more .... and only drink free beer.

There are alot of good used complete rigs on this site.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

"Dream Gear"? I wouldn’t entertain the thought of spending "Dream Gear" money just yet, buy some cheap used gear that will get you to the Dream Gear point. Your ideas on gear will change 3,4 or 500 jumps from now.

Option #3 stands out for me just cuz I like trips to DeLand but if it were me I would take the advice here about breezing through AFF and saving all the $$$ I can for gear.

Worried about having to repeat dives? There is a simple way to avoid this, don’t fail any dives. Relaxation is the key to performing well during the student progression. Knowledge will dispel the fear enough so you can relax, so learn all you can especially about how to use the gear properly and land it safely…

And oh yeah, have fun...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Eat ramen noodles... work more .... and only drink free beer.

There are alot of good used complete rigs on this site.

I've been transitioning into working longer days. :D

I work from about 7:45 - 6 with an hour lunch, and I work 4 hours on saturday. So it ends up being about 14 hours of overtime per week. Comes out to around $280 per month extra. Even if the overtime goes away, by that point, I'll have received my raise...and things will be even better.

"Dream Gear"? I wouldn’t entertain the thought of spending "Dream Gear" money just yet, buy some cheap used gear that will get you to the Dream Gear point. Your ideas on gear will change 3,4 or 500 jumps from now.

Option #3 stands out for me just cuz I like trips to DeLand but if it were me I would take the advice here about breezing through AFF and saving all the $$$ I can for gear.

Worried about having to repeat dives? There is a simple way to avoid this, don’t fail any dives. Relaxation is the key to performing well during the student progression. Knowledge will dispel the fear enough so you can relax, so learn all you can especially about how to use the gear properly and land it safely…

And oh yeah, have fun...

I'm not really focusing on specifics related to gear since obviously I know almost nothing about the dynamics. Really I've just been browsing manufacturer websites and reading reviews, playing with color design blah blah. Nothing serious, just passing time more than anything. More than anything, it's just something I do to keep my goals in mind ;)

Plus when you're on dial-up at home... there isn't much else better you can do on the computer :D

I'm not really focusing on specifics related to gear since obviously I know almost nothing about the dynamics. Really I've just been browsing manufacturer websites and reading reviews, playing with color design blah blah. Nothing serious, just passing time more than anything. More than anything, it's just something I do to keep my goals in mind.
Plus when you're on dial-up at home... there isn't much else better you can do on the computer

Sent you a Private Message...

Plus when you're on dial-up at home... there isn't much else better you can do on the computer

You could work more, perhaps at the DZ as a packer or manifest. That's how I paid for my training and gear, and jumping.

God I wish I lived closer to a DZ. Essentially 1.5 - two hours a way which is only a problem due to working Mon-Sat. Otherwise I would definitely be spending time out there.

You could work more, perhaps at the DZ as a packer or manifest. That's how I paid for my training and gear, and jumping.

God I wish I lived closer to a DZ. Essentially 1.5 - two hours a way which is only a problem due to working Mon-Sat. Otherwise I would definitely be spending time out there.

My wife and I live 2.5 hour drive each way so we go out on Friday after work and come home Sundays. Pitch a tent, stay in bunk room or rent a camper - in the last home DZ I went to I used to sleep on the hangar floor and had 1.5 hour drive...

Pretty soon, after the bug bites you harder you will probably be more willing to go to further lengths...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

My wife and I live 2.5 hour drive each way so we go out on Friday after work and come home Sundays. Pitch a tent, stay in bunk room or rent a camper - in the last home DZ I went to I used to sleep on the hangar floor and had 1.5 hour drive...

Pretty soon, after the bug bites you harder you will probably be more willing to go to further lengths...

Once I get off of working Saturdays, things will be a lot more conducive to doing that kind of thing. I look forward to it. :D I mean, who wants to work when you can play?

>God I wish I lived closer to a DZ. Essentially 1.5 - two hours a way . . .

That's it? We live a little over an hour from Perris and we're one of the closer ones. Good thing we have a car that gets 45mpg. For camps and long training weekends we have an old van that we sleep in.

Sav up the money to go. Don't get into debt for skydiving. Then durring the winter go to Skydive City Pitch your tnet up, and live on the DZ untill you graduate. hey even have packages to take you all the way to your A
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Sav up the money to go. Don't get into debt for skydiving. Then durring the winter go to Skydive City Pitch your tnet up, and live on the DZ untill you graduate. hey even have packages to take you all the way to your A

Chances are I wont even have to take out a loan. Money is coming in pretty well right now. Quite a bit of time between now and then to continue saving up.

#1 - Do AFF either at OSC or Airtight.

I vote for OSC, but I'm biased, as that's where I've been jumping. :) OSC and Airtight both have 182s, so you WILL learn to spot (among many other things) at either place. If you plan to do this in a week off of work, make sure either DZ understands this ahead of time. I don't think either of them are normally open during the week, but they will work with you if you ask.

#2 - Take a 1-2 day trip to Skyventure CO or the tunnel in TN.

I had 30 minutes in the NC tunnel (AAC) when I had about 20 jumps and 30 minutes in the Eloy tunnel (SVAZ) when I had about 40 jumps. In my opinion, for first-time tunnel flyers, the SkyVenture tunnels are better because of the walls. You will spend a little time trying to figure out how to stay in the center of the tunnel, and if you have walls to bounce off of, you get back on center quicker. Once you know how to stay in the center, I think AAC is a lot better, mostly because of the much improved scenery.

There is also Flyaway in Pigeon Forge TN, a few miles north of AAC in NC, but Flyaway is a relatively old design and I am told it is not nearly as good for skydiving practice as the SkyVenture tunnels or AAC.

I drove from Tulsa to AAC (two days each way; hotel outbound and camping return) and stayed at a good campground somewhat near the wind tunnel since I had my car. If you fly into NC, you'll have to figure out how to get yourself from the airport to AAC (about 40 miles I think). In Eloy, you can stay at the dropzone bunkhouse rather inexpensively, but you do have to figure out how to get yourself from Phoenix to Eloy and back. I don't know what lodging options are like near SVCO.

If you decide on one of the OK DZs and the tunnel, make sure the DZ knows about it; they may suggest a good point in your training to go to the tunnel. I think that the DZs near tunnels that have the tunnel in their training don't always do the tunnel first - you might do a couple of jumps before going to the tunnel.

#3 - Take a full out trip to a place like Deland, FL and take their AFF package which includes 20 minutes of tunnel training.

A big DZ can have the advantage of faster planes and lots of experience with the "zero to solo in one week" progression. On the other hand, you may be able to get more attention at a smaller DZ.

Florida has year round better weather than Oklahoma.

Last summer, I was weathered out less than one weekend a month in Oklahoma. In the spring and fall it's not so good, though. Parts of Florida actually get more thunderstorms than all of Oklahoma, but the ones we do have here tend to be more exciting.

Keeping it in oklahoma would allow me to build repertoire with the respective DZ and regulars.

True. Also, Oklahoma needs the money more than Florida does. :)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.