MotherGoose

PACKING REVISITED

Kapowsin, now at Shelton Field, charges $7 for a sport main, $10 for a tandem, and $5 for student mains. The sport charge seems a bit high, but I pack my own anyway. I sometimes hire a tandem packer (we're supposed to pack our own) when I'm in a hurry or had a long day.:)

Back when F-111 fabric was fashionable for tandem mains, we flat-packed all of them and suffered painful openings that tore canopies far too often.
When we switched to PRO-packing Strong 425 and 520 canopies, openings changed from painful to hard.
Now that Strong's manual recommends PRO-packing SET-400s, that is all we do. This century, we have averaged one malfunction per thousand tandem jumps.
Most of our student mains are PRO-packed as well.

I've pro-packed thousands of tandems with no lineovers.

I can pack a tandem in about 9 minutes if I need to.

$5 for sport rigs and student rigs and $10 for tandems is fairly standard around the country. Some places pay a bit more, some places pay a bit less.

Not only are you a proficient skydiver and an excellent packer, but I couldn't help but notice that one of your interests is cooking ?? My interests include eating among other things, we should definitely join forces . . .
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

Good thing, her husband's a pretty strong guy. :S

If Karen was single, she'd have a line of stalkers stretching around the block.:P

I know I haven't been around Seattle much lately, but if Karen and Jeff ran off and got married I'm gonna have to yell at them for not inviting me to the wedding. :D:D

I'll still pick her in a packing contest any day. Girl is FAST.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yes . . . but what is it that makes a packer fast? I look forward to 10-12 minute tandem packs but not at the expense of safety. Any tips ??

Karen taught me to pack, but she didn't teach me to pack fast. I'm still working on that part... I think it has to be learned, not taught. :D

(I should also mention that she's a damn *good* packer ... I believe she's got a perfect or near-perfect record on mals. You should have seen the look on her face when I got a malfunction on student gear that she thought she'd packed. She was so relieved when I reminded her someone else had packed it ).:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I guess you're right . . . it comes with experience. As for mal's, even with a perfect pack job, the gear itself could malfunction or the student could "malfunction". There's plenty to investigate with a mal. I'll keep slugging away for the time being and I suppose I'll get better and faster at my own pace. This weekend is supposed to be a balmy 105F with the Humidex and we're booked up for our busiest tandem schedule of the year so far . . . wish me luck !:o:o

(and you all thought we skydive with igloos and dogsleds up in Canada ??)
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

MOTHERGOOSE.....if you want to learn how to pack under ten minutes and without and problems...come to SDLI one weekend..i will show you the light...haha

it is an awesome place to jump anyway...so a day trip or so would be a good idea...

CASA boogie in august
"the sky is not the limit....the ground is"

you know . . . its only 5 or 6 hundred miles . . . I might just take you up on that offer . . . I have heard good things about Skydive Long Island. I'll bring the beer . . . but it's that strong Canadian stuff, none of that American "light" beer . . .

Only 105!! Shit, its going to be 113 here, befor humidity. That makes it 120 in the hanger. Suck it up and come pack in the desert. You'll learn to pack fast, then go outside to cool off:S And don't even think about packing a mal, you'll have to find somebody willing to hike though the desert to find missing parts;)
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

I definitely want to come out to AZ for some skydiving . . . but I assure you it will be for a vacation . . . not to pack in that heat !!! I personally commend you for doing that on a regular basis, I only get about 2 really bad humid months a year, so I can't really complain. I would love to see you up here in February though . . . this year I jumped from 10,500 feet in -16F . . .

Now there's a good way to separate the skydivers from the Sally's . . . and let me tell you . . . packing a chute when you can't feel your fingers . . . good times.

You will not see me up there in Feb! Why do you think I live here. In Jan & Feb it might get as cold as 0 @ 14000. Thats cold enough.
You know skydivers, we bitch when its hot, whene its cold, when the loads not full, when the load is full, when theres no beer, when the beers warm, when the pack job opens too fast, too slow, ect;)
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

Careful what you ask for . . .

I was replying to the person who challenged me to a packing competition.

Fast packing comes from learning precision of movement. When I need to pack fast all of my movements are efficient.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Fast packing comes from learning precision of movement. When I need to pack fast all of my movements are efficient.

Exactly. I can ususally get myself and Valinda packed in less time than most use to pack for themselves. It's all in making every move count, just like my day job.

that is for sure it does get hott bill but youre the lucky one when you have a class when youre in the AIR CONDITIONING. jk anywayz if you worry bout a mal youll pack a mal. so my advice is dont worry bout a mal shit happens but if its intentional thats when people get pissed. as for speed dont worry bout that it comes with time. ive learned that the hard way
death before dishonor