Scoop

First skydiving trip

Recently got back from 10 day trip to Empuriabrava after getting licenced in UK. Unfortunately with the weather they had over there only got 3 days of jumping.

Due to the dry but windy weather the yellow aircraft of the 'Bombers' were flying constantly (At one count 12 planes and 3 helicopters) putting out forest fires which were getting worryingly regular during the initial part of the trip.

I was nervous at first, travelling alone and not knowing what to expect, but as soon as I arrived I was welcomed by other skydivers and we all went out for dinner then off to the local pubs. If we couldn't spend our money on jump tickets this was an ideal way to get rid of some B|

Great bunch of people, cheap food, cheap beer, cheap jumps. Weather was still awesome if windy.

Cue beer... got to do first 2 way, first climb out exit from an aircraft, highest exit altitude so far (15k), first horny gorilla, first dock, first real videoed jump, first major off landing :$, first time using own gear.

In short a great time to be had in Spain, I'll be going back for sure. Stunning scenery, next to the mountains and the coast. The town is full of canals and looks gorgeous.

Awesome jumpship, so fast and nice sized door. Great handles.

To anyone else thinking about going away to do some jumping. DO IT! :| Seriously, so much fun to be had going away. Made some great contacts with people from all over world. I guess Ryanair going to be seeing more from my credit card B|

By the way, I don't work for the dropzone, just really enjoyed my time there despite the limited jumps. I feel like a skydiver now, not just someone who happens to also fall from aircraft :)

You suck. Now I have to plan a trip there RIGHT NOW!

Great photos. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Haha, yeah! I think your right. But when jumping started it was so active, with 3 aircraft rotating constantly. The beer levels amongst the jumpers levelled themselves out with all the cool new stuff we were enjoying doing B|

EDIT: Shamlessly stole a pic from the website so you can see the aerial view

Due to the dry but windy weather the yellow aircraft of the 'Bombers' were flying constantly (At one count 12 planes and 3 helicopters) putting out forest fires which were getting worryingly regular during the initial part of the trip.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That reminds me of skydiving in Southern California (Elsinore, Hemet and Perris Valley). The red and white water/slurry/borate bombers - based at Hemet - got so thick one afternoon that Perris suspended jumping after a close call scared a jump pilot.It was awesome watching Firecats diving down a steep hillside - overlooking Lake Elsinore - to drop red fire retardant on steep ridges.
I only got scared when they called in DC-4 water-bombers to suppress brush fires on the hills (Box Springs Mountain) overlooking my apartment in Moreno Valley.
Now that we live in British Columbia, we get to watch beautiful, art deco, Martin Mars water bombers flying through on their way to fight forest fires in the interior. The coolest visual last summer was watching - from the jump plane - a Convair drop red slurry on a 3,000' ridge over-looking Port Moody.

superb pics ScoopB|

well why not do something closer to home as well Scoop Me and AndyCopland are going to The Langer 2 Boogie dude I believe Tony and Billy are going as well, there are a number of UKskydiver.co.uk people turning up as well. Jan's beech is there as well so great jumps and well who knows what trouble we will get into :D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Welcome back Scoop... glad you had a good time. Pity about the weather. How was your new kit?

Billy - Hi... I plan to be at Langar for the 2nd weekend.... so I hope to meet you all then.

Bye,

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I'll be there for both weekends with andy....and I'll bring the party. See everyone there and scoop, if you didnt hit 50 on your trip, we can do it at the boogie.

Nice pics and hopefully a few of us (wink wink) get over to spain in a few months.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Hey, I really want to go to the Langar boogie but I'm gonna stioll be recovering financially from this trip. Not so much the jumping but the nights out. Still, I shall see what I can do. Remind me of the dates :)

Tony, the rig was sweet. So comfortable. Great in the aircraft, great in freefall (I actually had to double check I was wearing a rig for a second) and even better under canopy. THe canopy flies great, very responisve compared to what I was on but docile enough to be safe. The landings are good when I get the flare right! But still getting used to these controlled landings, I'm used to flaring like a loon at the last possible second as I had to on the student Mantas. :)

I'm already planning my next trip to Empuriabrava. If any other people fancy going as a bit of a gang, looking at January 10th-17th. Just e-mailed them for conformation that the dropzone will be active at these dates. Currently you can get return flights including tax and all airport charges for £25 with Ryanair and the bunkhouse is only 12 euros a night if you don't mind slumming it.... just means more money for jumps and beer! B|

Sounds good for your trip to emp. Let me check my work schedule and I may be attending. I'll PM you tomorrow and let you know.

I'm also planning a trip to emp a little earlier...hope some of you can make it then too.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Definately. I hear the X-mas boogie is good but maybe targetted at more experienced skydivers with big ways and stuff so thought I'd skip that and just go for some fun jumps with people in January instead :)

Scoop, X-Mas boogie in Empuria always is an event - just add New Year's eve, and your're done! I did it 3 times and don't like to miss one single day.

To my surprise, it was NOT a thing of only most experienced skydivers: In the contrary, I was a bloody beginner, with a freshly printed license, knowing nothing at all - especially US jumpers with hundreds of jumps were there asking me to jump with them, to do a simple nice funny linked exit - just for fun. This is my best memory, don't be shy, go there and you will see how open everybody is.

Just be avid enough to be as quick as possible at the manifest - and don't forget to talk to everybody around you!! They answer and all is good. :)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Empuria rocks.. and so does the x-mas boogie there. not the time to do shorts-and-t-shirt-jumps, tho. but defo a bunch of good jumps and great parties.

I always went there alone and always had lots of fun. plenty people to jump with and even some cute ladies in town at night. I was usually busy enough jumping, so I haven't seen the Dali museum in Figueres, yet (great artist, imho) and never seen the beach at daytime, either.

As far as i know, the weather is a lot better (less windy "tramontana" days) from april-november., but even the winter might be a lot better than on most other dzs in europe.

too bad that ryanair doesn't fly from zuerich to barcelona. I wouldn't mind getting a flight as cheap as you brits do..

however, sometimes i really hate the fact that i'm thousands of miles away from that great dz, now. guess i won't have a chance to jump from the catalanian sky before next summer. :(

but well.. maybe they have the wind tunnel ready by then..

bluest damn skies..

btw.. has anyone been to the "el bulli", the world-famous restaurant in Roses?

"He tried to kill me! He tried to f***ing kill me!"

btw.. has anyone been to the "el bulli", the world-famous restaurant in Roses?

I'm only just over 2 & an half hours from there, every time we do a W/E in empuria my other half drages me to Roses.

Why is it world-famous, is it that good.
it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

Why is it world-famous, is it that good.

don't know how good it is. last summer, a friend of mine (runs a restaurant in my town) heard that i'm going to empuria and meant that it's a must to have a meal in that place. saw some images on the web. the food quite freaky..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilumb/sets/339010/

but then again, you were there.. so tell me: is it as a 'must' to go there?

"He tried to kill me! He tried to f***ing kill me!"

Believe it or not...
There is a company...Evergreen I believe, that is using a 747 as a retardent drop plane. Gotta love flying that! Diving a 747 into a forest fire...BASE isn't dangerous. Ariel firefighting...Thats dangerous;)

Here it is:
http://www.evergreenaviation.com/supertanker/index.html
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos