katseyes

Lake Wales and Collegiate Nationals

I had heard only good stuff about Lake Wales and the Collegiates but when I visited recently I found total chaos with a staff that think nothing of arguing loudly in public in front of student. Manifest doesn't seem to have a clue (25 on a King Air - please!) And more to the point no one seems to care.
I come from a small DZ and was already concerned about jumping at a big DZ now I'm just plain terrified!
Can anybody who has competed before let me know if this is the norm or does it get better during the competition? Is it safe? Any advice?
Please I was so looking forward to my first Collegiates.

I was at collegates there a couple of years ago (the last sememster I was in college and the last time I would ever be elgible for collegates). It was a fun time, they worked really hard to get the collegate loads in the air.

I will give this advice to you, though. They are working very hard to get a competition completed. If you do not feel comfortable due to winds or clouds or any other factor, speak up and speak up loudly. If still nothing, back off that load. I know there will be a lot of pressure on you from your peers as well as from the competition staff to go ahead and jump in less then good conditions, but don't worry about that and put your foot down.

The best part about collegates is getting to hang out (aka party) with other college jumpers.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thank you for that, advice much appreciated and will be followed.

Do you know where I can get information on the competition? No one at Lake Wales either knows or (seems) to care about it. (One staff member told me that he hates the competition because us ******* kids get in the way of usual operations).
I really want to compete but another concern is that if the staff don't care now are they going to care in December and is it going to be safe if they don't?
In the hope that someone can tell me it gets better as the competition gets closer where can I find out about registration dates and prices?

Maybe I'm over reacting (and I'm sorry if I am) but a) I am desperate for information (we need funding) and b) If they don't care about the competition do we really want to give them our money (I've been warned that it's not cheap), I don't expect to be treated in a special way (I'm not special)but if they're not busy (and they weren't) is it too much trouble to give a DZ brief, give competition/local lodging information instead of being told that "we don't like the competition"?

The competition's manual on USPA's website has all the rules and comp info from an overall stand point. The nitty-gritty money thing is up to the DZ. There'll be USPA BOD types and similar there running the comp with help from the DZ, so don't worry too much about the staff.

Its disappointing to hear that from the DZ staff, though. I wonder if they are annoyed when they have swoop comps or other competitions at the DZ or if its just collegiates? I didn't talk much to the staff there when I was there, I hung out with the visiting DZ.commers that were there and met some other really neat folks as well.

If they don't care about the competition do we really want to give them our money (I've been warned that it's not cheap), I don't expect to be treated in a special way (I'm not special)but if they're not busy (and they weren't) is it too much trouble to give a DZ brief, give competition/local lodging information instead of being told that "we don't like the competition"?

They "won" the privlage of hosting the competition through a bidding process with the USPA. The first collegiates I went to was in Eloy and that was a GREAT time with a great staff and facilities. When I went to Lake Wales they were in temp buildings and had basically nothing due to that pesky hurricane destroying everything they had. The few times I talked to the staff (about some problems with the showers and similar things) they were accomidating and nice. Atleast they seemed to be.

As for lodging, just bring a tent, camp out with the rest of the collegiate competitors (except for the army and airforce guys, our tax dollars put them up at a hotel for the competition). You'll have the most fun hanging out in the tent city with the rest of the collegiate jumpers. That's better then the competition, really.

Thanks so much for your help. I've heard Eloy is a great place, one of my team mates is going to visit Lake Wales in a few weeks, if he finds it the same as I did, we are going to skip this year and go to Eloy next year.

Are there any of this years competitors out there? As I said I've only jumped at a small DZ and it would be great to 'know' other jumpers going before we get there.

Sounds like they need to do it again.

I have done video for the last two years a collegiate nationals and also the nationals the year before they lost all of there shit to the hurricane.What I experienced was nothing like what you have described.If someone really said that they hated it because it got in the way they should be fired.It really suxs to spend money somewhere and not be appreciated.I'm going to make a call to someone I know.

Lets not sugar coat this.... The staff "restructing" was Fayard (who bought out Betty Hills 1/2 of the dz) firing pretty much everyone. After that, they ran off pretty much everyone else who was still around, instructors, staff, residents, packers ohhh and customers (including myself). I walked, took my money and my business with me, off to Sebastian, best move ever, so for that, thanks Eric (*sic*). I hear they are dieing a slow miserable death. On the non drama, factual side, they still do not have the new hanger, it was supposed to go up a long time ago. I invite everyone who shows up at Lake Wales looking for the glory that used to be to, to hop onto Highway 60 East to Sebastian. As for collegiates, itll be interesting, Betty did a good job of managing events, but as far as I know, she isnt around much anymore.

As much as skydiving is my family and my life, it is still a business, and it is my power as a customer to take my business elsewhere. Have no doubt Ill do my best to take others with me, and I did.

blue ones
Derek

Although it is a pretty callous thing to say, I think everyone has there right to speak there minds. That being said, there are a few pretty well document cases of the staff there being rather callous. Well I left Lake Wales, the state it was in, this kind of comment would be of little shock to me.

Lakes Wales recently went through a total staff restructuring, so the chaos may have been a result of that.

Their websight looks a little outdated[:/]

Maybe the new management may be focusing their efforts at the tandem & AFF market. :|

Damn nice landing area:)

R.I.P.

The city of Lake Wales is to build their hanger using the insurance money and word is that it is to be the last hanger built after the rebuild all the T-Hangers for the General Aviation planes. The papers were saying hopefully construction will start on it by spring of '07.

It is a shame to hear that Lake Wales is having staff issues, it used to be a very warm and friendly DZ.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I jumped at collegiates last year and had the best time of my life! I will be back again this year with all of my friends. If the staff suck, who cares in my opinion. I'm there to skydive and have fun. Anyway, for the person thinking about nationals, come, it's a really good time and you'll have a blast. We go to Z-hills after the comp for the new years party and boogie. hope this helpped.

Thank you everyone for your comments and PMs, I'm realizing that there are great people in skydiving beyond my home dz!
Revillusion, you mentioned Debbie, I have been hearing a lot about her who is she? I know she isn't at LW any more but comments like, 'that would never have happened if Debbie was there', 'Debbie would have taken care of that in an instant', 'Debbie ran amazing events' and 'Debbie always made us feel at home' obviously show that she is missed and makes her sound like Wonderwoman!

One of my team mates is going to visit LW in a few weeks and we will make a decision whether to compete there this year or wait until next years at Eloy.

The city of Lake Wales is to build their hanger using the insurance money and word is that it is to be the last hanger built after the rebuild all the T-Hangers for the General Aviation planes. The papers were saying hopefully construction will start on it by spring of '07.

It is a shame to hear that Lake Wales is having staff issues, it used to be a very warm and friendly DZ.

I went to Lake Wales in december 2002/january 2003, and had a blast. To me, Lake Wales was the perfect DZ. A large landing area, a large hangar, large packing area, friendly staff and relaxed ambiance... It's sad to hear things have changed... For sure that damn hurricane didn't help...

Betty Kabeller surely was the driving force of the DZ...

Yves.

I was fun jumping at Lake Wales in July this year. I was treated very well and was patiently given directions to the DZ twice by an overworked DZ manager.

I got the impression they were still trying to rebuild after the storm and some other issues.

I had the longest swoop of my life there. I have never jumped where there seemed to be less than no wind.

Hope to go back and jump all over FLA soon...but not in July.;)
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

This is a shame. I visited Lake Wales once in the mid 90's. I've said ever since that it was the friendliest DZ of all the ones I have visited. The staff and local jumpers bent over backwards and were extremely friendly.

Don't think Lake Wales is done. It is not, it is just rebuilding!

The folks who have been there for years and have visited will come back and make it as good if not better than it was.

I will even say that it's recovery will drag my very frugal butt out of TN to make a visit to see friends and even offer to help out in any way my schedule will allow.

I say go to Collegiates and say hey to Jim and Lee as well as the other members of the Lake Wales Family!
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!