ryan_d_sucks

Winter Closings and AFF

Hey--

I did my first jump as a tandem in August. I have really really been wanting to start an AFF program, but it has recently dawned on me that I might be about to run into a problem.. I have no money.

I'm a broke-ass college student. I am getting a job, but it only pays $7.25/hour and I can't work many hours a week. So, its going to take me a while to save up the initial $300 to pay for AFF level 1. However, I just realized that once the weather gets cold some (if not all) dropzones around me (in Bloomington, IN) will close. I have only been able to get in touch with a few dropzones around here, and they said that they will close for the winter. I don't see myself having enough money for AFF 1 until early november-- which by what some of the people at the dropzones said is just before they close for the winter (second week of november they close). Would it be worth it for me to save up the initial 300, do AFF 1, and then take a break until spring comes and the DZ re-opens? Is it probable that I would I forget what I learned over the break and be out-of-practice? Or, does anyone know of DZ's that stay open year-round in the mid-west?

Thanks,

Ryan

My advise would be to save up as much money as you can all winter so you can just do you AFF flat out in the spring. That way you don't have to worry about running out of money and then retaking levels because you fall out of the current status.

Thats what i'm doing anyway
As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

I am on level 4 and fighting the clock. My DZ closes at the end of the month. The weather has not matched well with my free time. This has put me about 2 weeks between each of my jumps. I think it works out much better if you can keep your jumps close. If you take AFF1 now and wait all winter to go up it will be like the first jump. I also believe that there is a maximum of 30 days between jumps for the AFF levels.
Every time I look up, I wish I was on my way down.

You'll be much better off (skills and money) if you save up over the winter and start hard in April. Do as many jumps close together as you can. This will help you not repeat levels or go uncurrent if you get a few weeks of shitty weather. As for $300 for AFF 1, I hope the first jump course is included for that price. Look around at the nearby DZs and compare prices, the DZ i started at charged 175 per AFF jump, the DZ i moved to the next spring charged 136 per AFF jump, so there are differences. Also, if a DZ has turbine aircraft you'll probably find that you can jump more and have to wait (non weather related) less.
Just remember to save your money, it will be torture, but worth it. Oh, one warning: you will want to buy your own gear once you're licensed. Once you start renting gear after you get your A you'll see what I mean.
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete

the only reason to do a jump now is if you're not sure of your intent. It might be that you're content to do AFF-1 or a tandem and that satisfies your itch. In which case, why wait?

But if you want to do the full AFF sequence, at least up to the point of being able to self supervise, better to save up and wait. Aside from the shutdowns, poorer weather means more days where you can't get 9500ft and suitable winds to do a student jump.

As for $300 for AFF 1, I hope the first jump course is included for that price. Look around at the nearby DZs and compare prices

I can't imagine a $300 Level 1 (Cat A) not including the FJC.

While comparing prices is an idea, going with the lowest price for your training may not be the best idea.

Also, if a DZ has turbine aircraft you'll probably find that you can jump more and have to wait (non weather related) less.

OTOH, sometimes waiting more (i.e. at a Cessna dz as opposed to a turbine dz) can mean more learning time, and it certainly can mean that you'll get to know other jumpers better, sooner. Getting to know other jumpers is a good thing when you get off student status and want to jump with other people - more experienced jumpers are more likely to ask you to join them if they've hung out with you a few times.

Just remember to save your money, it will be torture, but worth it. Oh, one warning: you will want to buy your own gear once you're licensed.

Definitely! And this is where saving up over the winter will be totally worth it - instead of spending all you have on your student jumps and then discovering that you can't afford your own rig, you'll be in a better financial position to pick up gear if you already have at least part of what it will cost put away.

If you do level 1 AFF in the fall, you'll likely have to repeat it again come May, so just save up for the entire thing and do it in the spring. Also, do you live around Bloomington or in another part of the state?

When I was jumping in NE Indiana back in 2000 everyone was doing SL which was much cheaper. You might consider saving up all your cash then shop around DZs for the summer. There may be a DZ closer to home that can get you in the air cheaper.