Frenchy68

Reserve smaller than main

I'm trying to figure out why is it that most (if not all) of the systems I have demo-ed have a reserve that is about 20 sqft smaller than the main. My best friend had a reserve ride a couple of weeks ago, jumping a 170 sqft Sabre II (he weights about 135 lbs), and found himself under a 150 sqft reserve. In other words, piloting a canopy for the first time, and this canopy has a higher W/L than his main. I am sure there is a logic behind it, and would love to hear it (I forgot to ask last time at the DZ!)

Nick

Some of my rigs:

Main - 99 /reserve - 175

Main -99/reserve - 218

Main - 175/reserve - 200

Main - 220/reserve - 202

Main - 250/reserve - 240

Main - 282/reserve -294

I don't ALWAYS have a larger reserve than main, simply as a matter of mixing and matching what I have available. The 175, FWIW, is my first square reserve, and I have landed it successfully more than once. so I haven't traded up with that one.

Regardless of what I'm jumping for a main, I try to have a reserve that gives me a chance of survival if I get a collarbone or arm broken during a violent exit or whatever, and have to land with a minimum of steering and no flare. I also want something I can sink into someone's back yard without having to eat a fence.

That's just me. YMMV.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I'm with ya! I'm getting ready to downsize in the next couple of months and decided to keep my container...which has a saber 2 170 and a 218 sqft reserve...it's gonna take some modification to reduce the volume of the main tray but worth the money for me. I look at my reserve as my worst case scenario (survivable). I don't want to be under an elliptical 150 injured or unconscious. Well shit I don't want anything bad to happen but am planning on it before it does. With a max pack volume for a 150 sqft ZP the largest reserve I could get into a new container is 180 sqft which is unacceptable to me, so it looks like I'll be spending money on extra rigging for the foreseeable future.

P.S. I don't give a shit what my container looks like as long as It's safe. If fashion is more important then safety to some folks...damn I'm speechless!;)
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Nick:

It's basically a difference in measurement there are two types:

Planform Area: Defined as the product of the finished chord times the finished span of
the canopy.

Projected Area: The area of the inflated canopy as view from above, perpendicular to
the chord line at the centerline of the parachute. Due to canopy curvature and cell
inflation bulging the projected area is always smaller than the planform area.

I think PD reserves are measured in projected area whereas mains are measured in planform area. Since you are probably jumping a rig with a 176 and a 190 main they are really close to the same measurement.

I agree I am used to a big rig, I dont think a small rig will make anyone cool, I think they do it for the shock value. I will have a sport rig that fits a reserve that is bigger than my main, or I will not buy it. I know canopy type and material makes a big difference in similar sizes also.

Could be because people don't want to fly the size canopies that fit properly in the containers with the larger reserves, or they don't like the fit of the larger containers when they are smaller people, yet still want to jump a larger canopy which they will go ahead and cram in any rig they can.

I happen to know a bit about the demo fleet at SQ1 and I'll tell ya all the containers are sized for matching main and reserve sizes. All the containers have apropriately sized reserves in them as well. If the combination end's up being a larger main than the reserve it's probably being over stuffed to accomodate someone. I said overstuffed, not unsafe.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I definately do NOT have this issue...

Main Stilleto 150

Reserve DashM 218......

if and when I am under a reserve I want to be under my skybarge....
low and out are not fun under a 150 or smaller 7 cell loaded the way I would load it...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

My thought process is that when I see a reserve over my head the shit has hit the fan. And in that situation I would want all the nylon the manufacturer could give me. I know that it rarely happens, but what if you were unconscious and a cypres saved your rear? Would you want to come burining in under a 100 sq ft hankie or something that provides a pretty survivable landing without diver input. Maybe my thoughts are wrong, but I don't mind having a bulkier container if it keeps me out of the ambulance.

S
=
=
-some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain,
that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

...something that provides a pretty survivable landing without diver input.

Can anyone say "Round" ;)

May not be pretty but it is pretty survivable... :P

Sweep

----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..