angrypeppers

Student stories

Do you like reading student stories? I've been writing up my AFF jumps and posting them here (though I skipped posting the Level 3 and 4 stories for now). I like writing/reading them for a couple of reasons:
1. Writing them up helps me remember the jumps better.
2. Some day when I'm old and jaded, I can re-read my stories and maybe get some of the old skydiving mojo back.
3. I like reading other students stories, so hopefully someone will like mine.

Vote and discuss...

Chris
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

***Do you like reading student stories? ***

I enjoy reading them because it wasn't such a long time ago that I was a student. AFF wasn't something that came natural to me - I had to redo 3 jumps so if students post about struggling with something or having door fear or anything like that, I can totally identify with that.
When I did AFF I seemed to think that someday I would reach a stage where I thought I "knew enough" ... but it seems that the more jumps I do, the less I feel I know and the more there is to learn. Also, you can learn things from all kinds of skydivers, regardless of experience levels. If you jump with a novice, you can learn things about your own abilities that you wouldn't with more experienced jumpers.

So what I'm saying is: post your stories! I enjoy reading them. :)

-Chanti-

I like to help students progress but dont really enjoy reading students stories. We have all been there done that got the t-shirt.
To me student stories are like old drug stories, everyone has them and thinks theirs are better and it is just boring.

Saying that though, each person on this world is different. You may be a person who likes to write about your stories, i might be a person who will not read them, but there are people out there who will read them and enjoy reading them. To me things we do in life, it does not matter what other people think, you do what you enjoy.

Fair play to you, if you enjoy writing your memories down, do that. dont let haters stop you from doing anything you enjoy.... Nobody has stopped 'Stiffler' from reading bedtime stories to his cockroaches.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Reading student stories and watching student videos on skydivingmovies.com were fantastic when I was a student. Hearing somebody else's story and seeing somebody else with my abilities do their thing was great.

Am I likely to watch an AFF video or read every student story here now? Not really. But there are a lot of students who will.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

That depends, will you also post pictures of boobies? Also, will the storyline involve how the boobies got there but still be extremely short? Otherwise I'm just going to click on the pictures of the boobies.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Do you like reading student stories? I've been writing up my AFF jumps and posting them here (though I skipped posting the Level 3 and 4 stories for now). I like writing/reading them for a couple of reasons:
1. Writing them up helps me remember the jumps better.
2. Some day when I'm old and jaded, I can re-read my stories and maybe get some of the old skydiving mojo back.
3. I like reading other students stories, so hopefully someone will like mine.

Vote and discuss...

Chris

I enjoy reading them, but only because I'm a student as well, just off AFF. So I just experienced many of the same things, it's interesting to hear stories from other students.

But I can understand how an experienced jumper would be bored :-)

I agree - other students will like them, so post them!

And sometimes they're cool and well-written, and I like them anyway.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Personally, I think that's something better suited for a personal blog. I write about my skydiving experiences and just about everything else in mine - the purpose being to share my experience as I travel this world with family and friends.

Sometimes I like reading them because they can sometimes bring back exhilarating memories of when I first started to skydive - the fear, anticipation,excitement, fun. Other times, they're just boring.

If all students start doing this, I wonder how full the forum will get with student stories. If they do become really popular, maybe they'll need a separate forum just for the students.

Thanks for the comments! I'll keep posting here. Those of you who hate them/don't care, just scroll past them. I put the AFF Level in the title so they are easy to spot.

I thought about the blog thing, but I can't even find the energy to update my website, so I don't think that will work for me.

Thx!
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.