Gretsch

Nervous Husband - Wife jumping, please read

dont worry about your wife dying. I would worry about the sky gods taking her on a safety meeting then dirt diving her.

Damn. Beat me to it!:P
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

dont worry about your wife dying. I would worry about the sky gods taking her on a safety meeting then dirt diving her.

What does "the sky gods taking her on a safety meeting" mean? (newbie, sorry)
-Gretsch
...like fetch with a GR. :)

Safety meeting = round the back of the hangar for consumption of less than legal substances. Apparently it was big in the 70's:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Suport her brother. You don't want her to resent you for not allowing her to do something she loves. I say to people the worst thing that can happen to you doing a tandem is you might just fall in love with skydiving.

Do a jump see what it is all about. It is all risk vs rewards.

I have done several things that most other people would see as an accomplishment, but the thing that I felt like was the biggest accomplishment of my life was graduating from my student progression AFF jumps.

I became an EMT, Fire Fighter, and a Haz-Mat Tech, but the feeling of accomplishment when you graduate AFF is unbelievable.

Just have a serious discussion with her about paying for skydiving. Tell her that she needs to save the money for her jumps, and do not go into debt for skydiving.

Good luck bro.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Congratulations, Gretsch & Dragonlady!

You've crossed a big divide that can exist between a wife and husband - no small feat!

I became obsessed with jumping a few months ago, and I have to say that my wife is a very very patient person. For awhile, I couldn't talk about anything else, much less think about mundane issues. Then, about 3 months ago, she scored a dream job (after working sporadically as a freelance writer for a few years). All of a sudden, the pressure on me to make most of the money was lifted, and she bought me my First Jump Course.

God, I love that woman.:)
She rode along in the plane when her best friend did a Tandem about 10 yrs. ago, so she has an idea of the gear, methodology, and professionalism these people have. Jen may never jump, but she's met my instructors and the owner, as well as some cool-as-shit experienced jumpers at my home DZ. Exposure to how this sport works and the safety consciousness of its participants gave us both an added peace of mind.

I'm glad to hear you went to the DZ together - Big Ups to you both.

Blue skies,

El Gato
T.I.N.S.

Safety meeting = round the back of the hangar for consumption of less than legal substances. Apparently it was big in the 70's:P

I wouldn't be worried about her taking them up on their offer. She's an adult and a mommy. Those days are long gone. I would worry however if I knew that people she were diving with were stoned. I think I'd go from supportive husband to raving jerk in about 2 seconds.
-Gretsch

Suport her brother. You don't want her to resent you for not allowing her to do something she loves. I say to people the worst thing that can happen to you doing a tandem is you might just fall in love with skydiving.

Good luck bro.

Thanks. I will / am. She's really excited about the spring.
-Gretsch

Congratulations, Gretsch & Dragonlady!

You've crossed a big divide that can exist between a wife and husband - no small feat!

I became obsessed with jumping a few months ago, and I have to say that my wife is a very very patient person. For awhile, I couldn't talk about anything else, much less think about mundane issues. Then, about 3 months ago, she scored a dream job (after working sporadically as a freelance writer for a few years). All of a sudden, the pressure on me to make most of the money was lifted, and she bought me my First Jump Course.

God, I love that woman.:)
She rode along in the plane when her best friend did a Tandem about 10 yrs. ago, so she has an idea of the gear, methodology, and professionalism these people have. Jen may never jump, but she's met my instructors and the owner, as well as some cool-as-shit experienced jumpers at my home DZ. Exposure to how this sport works and the safety consciousness of its participants gave us both an added peace of mind.

I'm glad to hear you went to the DZ together - Big Ups to you both.

Blue skies,

El Gato

Thank you! You have all been very instrumental in my being able to be on board with this. My idea of skydiving was way off.
-Gretsch

Scared about your wife jumping? This is coming from a husband that doesn't jump although my wife would love me too jump. My view on this is that I love her dearly but she could be killed walking across the street or in one of the car wrecks that I see every day on the California highways. Guess what she loves to jump and spent so much time in the tunnel the last few days she couldn't raise her arms.
Just like i told my mom when I was 18 and driving open wheel racecars, if something happens to me please understand this is what I wanted to do. I feel the same way for my wife. I make sure she has the best equipment and the best coaches and as long she wants to do this sport I will figure out a way to fund so she can jump.....Then again our son starting racing karts at 5.....guess we are just a adventurous family.
Just support her and embrace it. she'll love you for it. Be strong. Long live whuffos!!!!!

she could be killed walking across the street or in one of the car wrecks that I see every day on the California highways

Oh please. I'm guessing you haven't read this thread:S

Please don't live in a dream world. Your wife can do everything right and still die!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Scared about your wife jumping? Just support her and embrace it. she'll love you for it. Be strong.

I am and I will.

Long live whuffos!!!!!

I really don't think I am a whuffo. I get why people want to do it. I'm not clueless. My concern was/is with her safety (and now the people around her - thanks for planting that seed in my mind, recovercrachead haha).
-Gretsch

According to the definition on dropzone.com, a wuffo is simply someone who doesn't jump, and upon further reading of the forums, there seems to be some confusion as to the correct spelling of the word. I wonder what it would take to get this added to the Oxford English Dictionary? Until that day, I guess dropzone.com will have to be the official repository of skydiving vernacular. There's also an entry on Wiktionary.

I don't think whuffo or wuffo or however you spell it is a dirty word. Most of my friends are still whuffos. Some people are jumpers and some people are whuffos, just like some people are boys and other people are girls. It's perfectly acceptable to be either and don't let anyone ever tell you any different.

Back on topic... kudos to you for supporting your wife. I don't have a wife to worry about just yet, but my mum worries about me jumping. We're all generally smart people and know the risks. If something happened to me while jumping, it'll be happening while I'm doing something I love. I'm going to go ahead and guess that the same would apply to your wife.

I agree with the advice already given to you several times, so I won't restate it again here.

Blue skies.

According to the definition on dropzone.com, a wuffo is simply someone who doesn't jump, and upon further reading of the forums, there seems to be some confusion as to the correct spelling of the word. I wonder what it would take to get this added to the Oxford English Dictionary? Until that day, I guess dropzone.com will have to be the official repository of skydiving vernacular. There's also an entry on Wiktionary.

Back on topic... kudos to you for supporting your wife. I don't have a wife to worry about just yet, but my mum worries about me jumping. We're all generally smart people and know the risks. If something happened to me while jumping, it'll be happening while I'm doing something I love. I'm going to go ahead and guess that the same would apply to your wife.

I agree with the advice already given to you several times, so I won't restate it again here.

Blue skies.

Thanks man, I feel better. I searched it here and it seemed to be an insult, but I guess it's not.
-Gretsch