Chris-Ottawa

Helicopter at The Ranch this weekend.....You decide...

Hey Guys,

I'm going for a road trip to the Ranch this weekend. I was really excited to jump the helicopter, but I called and was told that it was busy building a new hanger? I sent an email a day before I called and just got a response back. I was told that they could possibly bring the helicopter in if there was enough interest. This is where you guys come in....

I need anyone interested in jumping the helicopter to call or email the ranch so they know there is interest. I'm coming from Canada so I'm not sure which day is your holiday but I think it's a long weekend for you which means lots of jumping!

Please feel free to post here as well if you're interested.

Thanks everyone!

Chris

See you this weekend!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Call me crazy, or wrong, but I thought that A license jumpers must initiate container openings by 3k feet. This isn't to say that I sometimes pitch **ever so slightly** lower than that, but it seems weird if I am exiting where I am supposed to be pitching. :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Well I'm not sure the USPA guidelines but i Know in Canada it goes like this:

Solo License: 2500ft min altitude

A: 2200ft Min

There is another factor too, you have zero airspeed so to get to 2500 or 2200 you can still do a good 7-10 second delay if you want. Deploying at 2500 would be close to deploying at 3k from terminal.

Either way...check your PIM.

And on another note, I got a PM stating that I may need a B license or at least 100 jumps to jump a heli. I checked into this and I you do not need any other qualifications if you have a license.

Bring on the heli.

Here's a copy of the email from today:

________

Hi Chris,

I can't promise the helicopter for the 25th. We have a Porter, Otter
and Cessna that will be available. If we have enough interest, we
could possibly talk the owner, Bill Richards, in flying the
helicopter. We have been charging about $30 to 3,000 feet.

Hope to see you over the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday.

Kay Hoiby
Blue Sky Ranch

________

Good enough? Like I said, not confirmed, but possible with enough interest.

Chris

Hi Chris,
Hope to see you at the Ranch this weekend. I think the helo is an aerostar, but I have not seen anyone jump it this year (that I remember, but I'm mostly a weekend jumper). Either way, the otter is usually flying on weekends and the weather looks nice at the moment. If you see a hack circle feel free to hack in!
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete

Call me crazy, or wrong, but I thought that A license jumpers must initiate container openings by 3k feet. This isn't to say that I sometimes pitch **ever so slightly** lower than that, but it seems weird if I am exiting where I am supposed to be pitching. :D

I think it's different for hop and pops, Doug. Would a helicopter be considered a hop and pop, seeing is that you get, what, a couple of seconds at most of freefall?

Hey

A hack circle...I assume that means a gathering that i might otherwise feel awkward jumping into?

Just kidding, I'll try to be pretty social, and I'll see if I can bring some good/real beer down for you guys at the campfire.

And as for the helicopter, I also thought it was an Aerostar but was proven wrong when the website called it a Bell. Thhat's why I'm very curious. I also read in another thread that it was "reconditioned" and is bigger than a 212. I'm not sure what other medium lift helicopters Bell made that was bigger than a 212. I can only think of a 412 but that has 4 blades...

Thanks

out of curiosity...does anyone know what the model of the helicopter is the Billy flies? It looks like a jet ranger but the picture also shows what looks like 3 blades? This is throwing me off...

Looks like a Eurocopter AS350 Ecureuil (or Squirrel, for the non-Europeans).

From the SIM:

1. Tandem jumps--4,500 feet AGL
2. All students and A-license holders--3,000 feet AGL
3. B-license holders--2,500 feet AGL
4. C- and D-license holders--2,000 feet AGL

Those are container opening altitudes, meaning you should pitch before then. Also, pitching at 3k is much different than exiting at 3k since your downward velocity at a 3k exit is zero.

From the SIM:

1. Tandem jumps--4,500 feet AGL
2. All students and A-license holders--3,000 feet AGL
3. B-license holders--2,500 feet AGL
4. C- and D-license holders--2,000 feet AGL

Those are container opening altitudes, meaning you should pitch before then. Also, pitching at 3k is much different than exiting at 3k since your downward velocity at a 3k exit is zero.

That is crazy...
Here in Canada, Students and solo licenses must activate main by 2500'. All licenses A and above must be activated by 2200'. You guys should head on up to Canada for a few jumps. That and our 180 day repack cycle..I'd say someone is getting things "skimmed" off the bottom. Not a big deal but just odd that there is that much of a difference.

As an A license holder I can open just above what a D license holder can in the states, odd.

Now this brings up another question, as a member of CSPA, do I have to follow USPA rules while on a US DZ, or do I stick to CSPA? I assume CSPA but never know...

Thanks everyone!

out of curiosity...does anyone know what the model of the helicopter is the Billy flies? It looks like a jet ranger but the picture also shows what looks like 3 blades? This is throwing me off...

Check the registration search function at FAA.gov. and enter Freefall Express to see all the aircraft they own. Be cautious in reading the database as there are several companies called Freefall Express. See http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/nnumsql.asp?NNumbertxt=355AG

It's listed as an AEROSPATIALE AS355F TWINSTAR.

There have been several different helicopters over the years, so different parts of the web site might be out of date.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Yeah, I used to be obsessed with heli's and my sister's B/F flew for a small company in northern Ontario. They had 2 Bell 205's and 3 long rangers. I could have sworn it was a Eurocopter and it is, but the website said it was a Bell. I guess I assumed they would know.

The firefighters up here use EC130's to drop crews and transport officials and whatnot. Eurocopter makes a nice looking chopper. I've attached a few pictures of the Eurocopter that was at our home fire base when I flew fire patrols from a Cessna 337 a couple summers ago.

The last 2 Pics are of the water bombers and one of the 337's we flew in, with a Griffon (412) taking off in the background. The army also does survival training as we are basically surrounded by forest.

Well I'm not sure the USPA guidelines but i Know in Canada it goes like this:

Solo License: 2500ft min altitude

A: 2200ft Min

There is another factor too, you have zero airspeed so to get to 2500 or 2200 you can still do a good 7-10 second delay if you want. Deploying at 2500 would be close to deploying at 3k from terminal.

Either way...check your PIM.

And on another note, I got a PM stating that I may need a B license or at least 100 jumps to jump a heli. I checked into this and I you do not need any other qualifications if you have a license.

Bring on the heli.

To my understanding as a visiting international skydiver the only “rules” from your home country that apply here are related to your gear, e.g., repack cycles, etc. You would be subject to USPA BSR’s while jumping in the US. Additionally, many DZ’s and aircraft owners add additional requirements such as a minimum license for special jumps.

As an interesting side discussion, I was shocked to see a 2,200 foot container opening altitude opening altitude for A license holders in Canada. It strikes me as bizarrely low.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Came directly from my PIM last night. I thought it was normal and fairly uniform across the board. I honestly thought CSPA and USPA were almost identical in rules, but obviously that is untrue.

http://www.cspa.ca/forms/PIM1.pdf

I just looked at this one and it may be different than the one I have at home. You are correct, A's are 2500ft. Mine is from 2004, and I'm sure it says 2200, but I could be wrong. It's on page 7, section 2.5 in the above link. Sorry bout the confusion.

Chris

As an interesting side discussion, I was shocked to see a 2,200 foot container opening altitude opening altitude for A license holders in Canada. It strikes me as bizarrely low.

And I was shocked to see 3000 ft for US A licenses - bizarrely high! OK, I understand the ideas behind it, but it must be a relatively recent change?

Through the 1990s in the USA it was 3000 student (or 3000/2800 for freefall vs static line), 2500 A & B, 2000 C & D. So historically, the Canadian heights weren't that much different from those in the US.

Edit: The "fine print" in Canada is that listed altitudes are "at which the main parachute must be activated", which is a little different than the "container open" altitude someone mentioned for the US, although usually those fine distinctions are ignored.

Hi Chris,

Billy's (the owner's) helicopter is a really cool black Twinstar, which is the dual engine version of an A-star. His primary use for the ship is ariel photography, so jumping from it isn't usually an option. Regardless, as the weather forecast for this weekend is 54 degrees F, clear skies and light wind it will be HAPPY TIMES !!!!!! If you've never jumped at The Ranch you're in for a treat, so please come jump with us. If you're looking for someone to jump with I'll be the one wearing the goofy white and red striped freefly suit -- let's jump!

Cheers,
Dean
www.wci.nyc