mrsvb78

Tandem Skydiving Experience - really nervous!!

Hello All

My hubby bought a tandem skydiving experience for the 2 of us for our 7 year anniversary :S from www.redletterdays.co.uk/Experience/Ref/SKVKW

We are due to do this in January and I am really nervous as this is a first for me and I don't want to bottle out at the last minute. Does anyone have any advice for me to help me calm down a bit and get the most out of the jump????

Any and ALL advice is WELCOME [:/]

Ta
Shereen

On the way to altitude I tell all the passengers that come and do tandems with us the same thing:

"There are two very important things to remember when going skydiving, 1) you must deploy a parachute and 2) remember to breathe."

Do some breathing exercises on the way to the top, breathe slowly and deeply right down into the pit of your stomach all the way in the plane. That shoukld help to keep you calm.

Other than that, feel free to ask questions, get your TI - tandem instructor - to explain about the gear, ask him to tell you about Automatic Activation Devices and how strong the tandem harness really is. That should also help to put your mind at ease.

Otherwise, just enjoy the ride! ;)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Welcome!

You will be very securely attached to an expert. An expert who is well trained. Someone who makes their living taking people out of the plane for one of the most exciting experiences of their lives. If anything were to happen to you, it would happen to them also.

I have the good fortune to be on the same plane as tandems quite often. It seems that the majority, if they get apprehensive, do it on the ride to altitude.

Whenever I feel apprehension, I breath deep, and relax. It works everytime!

Get excited. You and your husband are going to have an amazing experience!

Post and tell us what it was like after you jump.

Just a quick question, is the price on the website per person or for both of you ?

If it's per person, please contact the closest DZ to where you live, you'll certainly get a much more decent price.

If it's for both, well... enjoy the experience.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Shereen

Your fears are rational and just like most people who come to do a tandem skydive anywhere in the world. Just remember that your tandem master will have been certified by their association in getting their rating.

I've only done about 600 or so tandems, both in America and South Africa, and the thing that strikes me the most is when the customer and the Instructor have a good repour the skydives seem to be benificial to both.

I always try the mood fun and festive, but professional, much like you will experience while out doing your tandem. There will be the usual jokes and banter about your fears, the dive tc, take it all with a pinch of salt ;)

On the ride in the aircraft, look around, breath, chat, listen, smile and keep your eyes open.

Have fun in January and post back with your experience.

We are due to do this in January and I am really nervous as this is a first for me and I don't want to bottle out at the last minute. Does anyone have any advice for me to help me calm down a bit and get the most out of the jump????

The fear is a huge part of the experience. Without it, the sensations of exit, falling, opening, and landing wouldn't be nearly so intense. Just roll with it.

(I'm not sure about booking it 2 months in advance - that's a lot of anticipation!)

I think everyone pretty much said everything, but I'd just like to add that if you are doing it in January, wrap up warm! and I don't mean a couple of bulky jumpers, but several relatively thin technical fleece or thermal layers. I think they have an Airvan aircraft at Redlands (Swindon where it looks like you are going). i've never been in an Airvan but it is a pretty modern airplane so I'm guessing it will be heated and have a decent door to keep the draft out but you will be out and about before and after the jump, not to mention the 30 seconds or so in freefall and the 5 minutes flying the canopy around so make sure you are warm, but not at the expense of your movement and flexibility. It gets colder the higher up you go and cold exagerates your fear so do what you can to counter it.

Have you been asked to take your own gloves? if so, make sure they are wind stopping and thermal. The extremities are the first to get it and in January the cold can lead to pain when warming the fingers up. Even if the dropzone do provide gloves it is worth taking your own as the ones provided aren't always ther best and as you can imagine with everyone using them they don't get looked after very well and can wear out quickly. also a snood or a neck warmer will be a good idea. Alternatively, you could book for a warmer time, although predicting that day in July can be tricky :D.

As a Tandem Instructor I would say, listen to the important things that the instructor tells you to do and do them! Don't worry about fogetting anything as you will be reminded. Trust your instructor. Keep smiling and breathing (you'd be surprised how many people forget!) and enjoy it! If in doubt, ask!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Welcome to rip off britain!

Almost everything costs more here - cars, food, movies, CD's ... Its just the way it is :(

Ross

I agree and disagree...

I think that the prices are inflated in this instance because of Red Letter Days putting their mark-up on top of the DZ's prices.

I couldn't find Redlands DZ in the "dropzones" link here on DZ.com but Black Knights Skydiving have a tandem priced at 195 pounds on their website, Skydive Hinton has the tandem at 140 pounds + 95 for video and Headcorn has a weekend tandem mared at 235 pounds.

If it is Redlands it may be me taking you :)
We have an Airvan which takes 2 tandems and camera men plus 1 other jumper, The plane is nice and roomy with a good heater so you wont be cold on the way up, but I agree with Craig about wrapping up warm for the trip down.

Just remember head back, legs back and arch as long as you do that the ride should be a smooth one.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

+ 95 for video

wonder how much goes to the videoman :S that's 180USD for the video.. I had my 1st tandem for 200USD in Miami... :|

Videos at my place are in the average Swiss price (and Switz IS expensive), 96 USD, 51GBP
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I think that the prices are inflated in this instance because of Red Letter Days putting their mark-up on top of the DZ's prices.

True, but "marginally"

I couldn't find Redlands DZ in the "dropzones" link here on DZ.com

It's a relatively new DZ, also known as Skydive London ! They don't list their tandem price but video is £95

Skydive Hinton has the tandem at 140 pounds + 95 for video

That's a midweek price which doesn't include BPA membership (including third party membership) which is £25.50 at the moment. Weekend price including membership looks like £220
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Thanks for clearing that up Craig :)
I guess you guys are right, the UK is just freaking expensive! Now when my mates complian about our tandem prices here i can say that they can be thankful we're not over there :D

Now when my mates complian about our tandem prices here i can say that they can be thankful we're not over there :D

and for half the price they can even have good weather :D

Too true! Bahahahahahahaha :ph34r:

the best thing I overheard when my fiance jumped was this....

tandem instructor:

how many jumps you got?

my fiance:

zero

ti:
well, is that harness strapped on you real good?

mf:
yes

ti:
ok, see this conector? there are four of them....you will be strapped to me, and you cant fallout/getaway/wiggle free...right?

mf:

oh...ok.....

ti:

how many jumps you got?

mf:

zero, I just told you that....

ti:

well, I have have over 6000 tandem jumps...(tandem instructor at the Ranch..)
so, when I connect YOU to ME....now YOU HAVE 6000 JUMPS.....any questions....?

mf:

uh....no!.....lets go!

yup, and she loved it....

it is natural to feel nervous....another jumper told me he still fells nervous before every jump.....he has over 3000 skydives....

if you are not nervous, you are crazy...you are jumping outta a plane, for chrisssakes!

what I did, is I pretended I was going out the door, all wek!

after that, you cant come back, right?

that way , when I went to the door, I would not stop....I didn't, and jimped 80 times after that!

you are going to love it.....enjoy!

big al

I did my first tandem back on Sept 10 and loved it. However, it was my second tandem a month later that made me realize WOW, this is amazing! I was not nervous/scared going into the first one, but did have a bit of sensory overload because I did not know what to expect. Be prepared for it to be "noisy" as the wind rushes by in freefall, a lot cooler in the air then on the ground. At one point I felt like I could not get a good breath in the air but then I realized to close my mouth- the wind was flapping my cheeks around etc, looks funny on the video. Know that there is no reason for you not to be able to breathe- if you feel strange just relax, take a deep breath, and know you are OK! My advice is concentrate on breathing through your nose and dont open your mouth much, it made for a much better experience for me on my jumps after. Before you know it, you are under canopy and enjoy the floating experience, like you are a leaf in the wind. It is totally different then the radical experience of freefall.

And as others have written, the tandem instructor must have at least 500 jumps to even be there, and the majority have several thousand. You are in good hands!

I love to watch the people go up for their first time, it is so exciting to see the joy in their faces even if they are strangers! I have yet to see anyone walking back in that is not totally amazed and thrilled about what they did!