Zeppo

What's Your Minimum Exit Altitude?

A CYPRES will not arm until 1500 feet. To fire a CYPRES you need to exceed the speed threshold and altitude, not just the altitude.

I know the Cypres arms at 1500, but if you're exiting at 1500, wouldn't that mean it's armed give or take a few feet?
I've had a couple dumps below 1500 and found myself concerned that my Cypress would fire, because my second canopy (PD 9cell) would snivel forever, so I was ready to chop in the event of a 2-out scenario.

I think there might be some confusion here. The manual for a Cypres:
http://www.cypres-usa.com/english_users.pdf

The aircraft must climb above 1,500 feet AGL for the Cypres to work on that jump. In freefall, for an expert Cypres, >= 78 mph must be exceeded between about 750 and 130 feet AGL for the Cypres to fire.

http://www.cypres-usa.com/cyp13.htm
That is assuming the jumper is belly to earth and the Cypres is installed on the jumpers back inside the burble. If the jumper is not belly to earth or the Cypres is placed in a pressure chamber, it will fire at 1,050 feet AGL.

I haven't seen AIRTEC state that there is any significant delay between the moment the Cypres decides to fire and when it actually does, although I've listened to a lot of people that seem to believe this. As a computer engineer, I'm inclined to believe that the whole firing process initiates within a few microseconds of the parameters being met. I haven't seen the proprietary Cypres code or all the internal technical details though.

As for the thread topic, I would probably get out of an airplane at 2,050 feet with my current skydiving rig. In an emergency, I would probably exit on my reserve at 1,000 feet. If I had my BASE rig on, I might exit at 300 feet.

haven't read all the replies, but my answer is.... it depends. if we were at 1500 and the pilot said he was having a problem and gave us a choice, i'd stay. if i was at 800 feet and the plane caught fire or a wing fell off, i'm outa there.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

haven't read all the replies, but my answer is.... it depends. if we were at 1500 and the pilot said he was having a problem and gave us a choice, i'd stay. if i was at 800 feet and the plane caught fire or a wing fell off, i'm outa there.

That's my sort of thinking. If the plane was having serious problems (and/or the pilot bails) then I'm out of there...regardless of altitude

But for a regular skydive, I'm still only comfortable at 3.5k. I have plans to work that down. Hopefully this weekend I'll have a better understanding of my canopy opening dynamics and be better able to intuit what sort of altitude I need for it to open safely.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

What makes you think you even could get out at 800 feet if there was a catastrophic failure?? Most drop zones have you belt up until 1.5k. I doubt you are going to make it out, more likely you are going to undo your belt and become a human missile in the event of a crash.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

What makes you think you even could get out at 800 feet if there was a catastrophic failure?? Most drop zones have you belt up until 1.5k. I doubt you are going to make it out, more likely you are going to undo your belt and become a human missile in the event of a crash.

Ya know, I probably couldn't, but if I saw the pilot bail at 800...then i'm pretty sure I'd panic and try to leave too...although likely not make it out in time. But I think it's always good to get a refresher in emergency aircraft procedures.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

Depends on what kind of main I'm jumping. I jump a small (107) eliptical (Katana), 2500 on that one, but on my CRW rig PD218 with a mesh slider, 1800.

That high on a Lightning? I mean really - exit at 1800 with a Lightning canopy and you're open at 2000!

I do know Steve Morrell once jumped his Lightning from a plane at somewhere around 250 feet - they definitely open faster than reserves!

W

Depends on what kind of main I'm jumping. I jump a small (107) eliptical (Katana), 2500 on that one, but on my CRW rig PD218 with a mesh slider, 1800.

That high on a Lightning? I mean really - exit at 1800 with a Lightning canopy and you're open at 2000!

I do know Steve Morrell once jumped his Lightning from a plane at somewhere around 250 feet - they definitely open faster than reserves!

W

Yup! I wouldn't take my spider-slider, no-D-bag Lightning 126 to terminal!

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

Depends on gear, aircraft etc.

On a BASE jump I've gone as low as 300 feet. Outside the US, with the right gear, I'd exit that low - an aircraft exit at 300 feet is safer than a BASE exit at 300 feet.

In the US I don't get out much lower than 2000 feet for the usual reasons.

W

Sooooo that must be why they're called Lightnings?

On a BASE jump I've gone as low as 300 feet. Outside the US, with the right gear, I'd exit that low - an aircraft exit at 300 feet is safer than a BASE exit at 300 feet.

Exactly. It's doable low and with the right canopy and packjob, really low. If the plane's goin down you don't have a choice. If you can choose, then it's all about your comfort level. But unless you're flying something really rad, you don't need to go reserve at 2k

I've exited at 2000' while half the load turned it down. I also took a solid 5 second delay on my back watching others bail out and deploy. Why? Because I knew my canopy opens in 400 - 500ft from terminal, you fall almost 400ft from 5 seconds, and I don't own a cypress.

I'm pro choice. If you want to smoke it low, go for it.

That said, follow the rules in your country, ones set by your dzo, and don't put a pilot at risk if you haven't discussed it with them 1st!

cya

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

>I have gotten out at 1400 and deployed my main...do I ever want to
>do it again...not really...

Hmm. I once jumped a rig specifically configured to open rapidly - a 38" PC with a long bridle, a Mojo 240 main, and a mesh slider. I exited with the PC in my hand, threw as soon as I was clear of the tail, and WHAM! - I was open and flying within a second. I remember looking up at the plane and seeing it there about 50 feet away and 20 feet above me, two faces looking back at me.

I did this from 2500 feet, but it was good to know that under ideal conditions you can be open very, very quickly if you need to be (and your gear supports it.) What's a safe altitude, with the right gear? (say, a BASE-configured main with a skyhook and a large reserve.) Probably lower than 2000 feet. Might be an interesting experiment outside the US someday.

If you want to open low, and the country allows it (or you don't care about breaking the law), you'd be better off ditching the reserve. You'll also get more tolerable, but still brisk openings using a 36" F111 or 32" ZP P/C and direct control with a fine mesh slider. Then you might as well push it below 500 feet.

As low as the pilot orders me out at .... or 2000 feet.

that is an extremely good rule. as long as skydiver remember that below 1000', a reserve is the first thing that should be touched.

I am a jump pilot, and i am sure other pilots have already posted this in this thread, but if your being ordered out by the pilot, and as long as your not a unhooked tandem, you would be much better off getting out. for your life, and more importantly, the pilots.

(the 1000' thing is my 'rule')