noblesmelissa

Only 5 minutes to talk about skydiving?!?

Okay, so I have to give a presentation at work and of course I picked...SKYDIVING!!! (Like there is really anything else to talk about...:)
I have five minutes to talk and I can't decide which direction I want to take this presentation.

Why people skydive?

Common equiptment?

Common misconceptions?

A day in the life at the dropzone?

Five minutes just doesn't seem like much time to me. I will be wearing full gear and I am a charismatic speaker so I was wondering if it would be distracting to play a slideshow of skydiving pics?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! HELP!! :o

I say do the misconceptions thing combined with why people do it. When people find out I skydive they always ask dumb ass questions like "what does it feel to look at earth from 30,000 feet? Can I do a tandem with you as my instructor? Does the chute ever just not open?

You cant really blame whuffos though, im sure I said stupid questions too when i first started taking an interest in jumping.The more you can educate people the better.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

The slides in the background will distract people, and take away from the presentation.

Maybe you could draw a connection between sucess in skydiving, and sucess in life. There are a lot of connections that can be drawn.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I say do the misconceptions thing combined with why people do it. When people find out I skydive they always ask dumb ass questions like "what does it feel to look at earth from 30,000 feet? Can I do a tandem with you as my instructor? Does the chute ever just not open?

That's what I was leaning towards...I think both of those are really important...

Now that I got my A license everyone keeps asking if they can jump strapped to me...I try to tell them that 37 jumps really is not enough...:P

The slides in the background will distract people, and take away from the presentation.

Maybe you could draw a connection between sucess in skydiving, and sucess in life. There are a lot of connections that can be drawn.

I mentioned to my boss the other day about how it has given me confidence that I never even knew I could have and he said I should work that into the presentation...

My former 4-way team member worked at a big media company and did a 15-minute presentation.

It was the correlation between skydiving and work.
Planning, experience, execution, post-jump review.
That type of stuff.

You may want to do a 10-minute explanation and let them ask the questions for another 10.

Nobody can do it in 5.

Unfortunatly I am only allowed 5 minutes...:(

Tell your boss that you need your hard drive backed up each Friday, in case you die. ;)

(I worked in a place where my boss did that)

Tell your boss that you need 10. Do a presentation in 5, then open the floor to questions in the remaining 5.

Let him try to tell everyone to stop asking questions.
:D

-intro and history

Alone takes about 5 minutes... :)

BTW Alot of people I coach for presentations, don't set up their intro properly. I ussually explain them INTRO (see below) fill it in and you already have an outline for your presentation

INTRO

Index (when are you gonna talk about what)
Name (what is your name (and function))
Time (how long is it gonna take (The next 5 minutes...)
Reason (Why should you listen to me?)
Object (what am I gonna talk about)

Use them in random order, and space them accordingly to your time (if you have a 1,5 hour presentation, make a proper index on a sheet (or something else), if you have a 5 minute presentation jus say it "I'll talk about this first and then this...".

Reason is by far most the important and also the most forgotten. Tell the audience why they should listen, if you can't find a reason, don't give the presentation.

The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Go through a normal skydive from exit to landing. Tell them what you are doing, thinking, and looking for on the dive. Have a mal and explain the procedure.

Break the dive into 3 sections. Exit, freefall, and landing. Make each section take about a 1:30 to give.

Do the chalk board scene from Fandango for the last 15 seconds (to review)and then say " Any questions?":D

Show a 4 minute video and allow a minute for questions. It will explain far more than you ever could in 5 minutes of speaking.

(I give presentations for a living, and that's what I'd do in this case. I'd show clips of a 100+ way building to completion, some Rob Harris skysurfing, birdmen, and some pond swoops).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A post by mattaman in a thread in the safety and training forum could be an interesting basis for your talk (something like 'little things add up')...there are lots of great correlations that can be made alongside a work environment...strategies, disaster recovery, sales, HR, etc.

Before you jump you need to realize something, its not like other sports where its ok til something goes wrong, when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundency. Cause you can't afford to get caught without options or outs, which is what you clearly did, and your so right, its usually multiple faliures that create fatalities, and its cause you have people not having a system redundent mindset.

When you leave the airplane, practice what your gonna do when it goes right, and also go through your head all the scenarios of it going wrong, you'll be a safer skydiver, and you won't get caught with your ass so far out in the wind. Also, you need to understand that rear risers at night in a lighted landing area is a hell of alot safer than a reserve deployment and landing into a dark unknown, you hit powerlines, your probably gonna die, I make mistakes all the time, the smart skydivers admit them, laugh, and learn, the stupid ones try to cover them up, look like their all together, and never learn, doomed to repeat bad judgment, good luck, your partner in mistakes, matt

Talk about how you feel when you skydive. Tell them the difference between what you expected your first dive to be like and how it really was. Most people expect a dropping sensation or the rollercoaster feeling that we as skydivers know is not the case at all. Focus on how great it feels to be flying through the air for 60 seconds with the spectacular, unobstructed views of the sky and landscape all around you.
Give the stats on the risk and do not candy coat them. The types of folks who are drawn to activities like skydiving are looking for the exotic experiences and adventures that are far off the beaten path.
You should expect the average joe to think you are nuts and nothing you say or do will change that.

Only 5 minutes? That's 5 times the amount of freefall time you get in a skydive... Make the time feel like longer - one thing you might do i start the presentation by asking everyone to remember *this* moment - then introduce yourself and the fact that you skydive and a few short points, then exactly 60 seconds into your presentation, identify that that's exactly how long everyone would have had to fly around weightless with their friends.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

Go through a normal skydive from exit to landing. Tell them what you are doing, thinking, and looking for on the dive. Have a mal and explain the procedure.

Break the dive into 3 sections. Exit, freefall, and landing. Make each section take about a 1:30 to give.

Do the chalk board scene from Fandango for the last 15 seconds (to review)and then say " Any questions?":D

I thought about that. But I have not seen Fandango...:$

I thought about that. But I have not seen Fandango...:$

:o:o

Do I get my license taken away if I have not seen it? :P

The FJC in Fandango is truly one of the best moments in film (concerning skydiving).

"You exit the plane in the Modified Frog Position."

"Orch... Orch..." :D

There are a few funny moments later when Truman is flying IFR (I Follow Roads). He lands on the road, reads the map, then sticks out his arm to signal the turn. :D

Rent the film and fast-forward past anything up to their arrival at the airport.

Hmm...well, any ideas on a great 4 minute video?

[repeat mode]I'd show clips of a 100+ way building to completion, some Rob Harris skysurfing, birdmen, and some pond swoops[/repeat mode]

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I presume you have to present something so your boss can judge your presentations skills? Showing a video will not do that in any way.

Also watching a 4 minute video without context is boring.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...