b_dog

AFF level 1--what to expect?

I'm singing up to do AFF level 1 this Tuesday.

So, what can I expect for the first jump? I've read it's about a 6 hour ground course before the jump is done--what's covered during those 6 hours? What will likely be expected of me for that first jump? Any suggestion on how to best prepare or handle myself?

So, what can I expect for the first jump? I've read it's about a 6 hour ground course before the jump is done--what's covered during those 6 hours? What will likely be expected of me for that first jump? Any suggestion on how to best prepare or handle myself?

It will probably be more like 4-5 hours for the ground course, not counting practicing on the mockup and your jump. :)
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

The course will teach you everything you need to know to skydive once. :)
Prepare by getting a good nights sleep the night before, and plenty of food and water for breakfast. Bring some water and healthy snacks as (good) sugar and water in your blood helps.

I have taught the FJC a lot during the summer. The people who did the best showed up on time, took the course seriously, laughed a lot, smiled a lot, asked a lot of questions, took all the training in the mockups (simulators) seriously, and were well rested. The ones who had a hangover, were yawning the entire time, or were nervous as hell because they could not focus because of lack of food, goofed off in the training because they felt silly pretending to freefall, and their girlfriend dragged them along - well, they struggled (but lived uninjured).

If you want - you can download the SIM from www.uspa.org and read up - but that might put you to bed. Honestly, except for the two out pictures in the SIM - we never open it in my class - even though my FJC outline is basically the SIM (I just rather teach using training aids and discussion instead of reading out of a book.:P)

Caution: I don't have many jumps and am not an instructor. Always ask your instructors if you are unclear about anything.

So, what can I expect for the first jump?

This article gives a brief description of an AFF jump.

Some people "overload" during their first few seconds out of the door - I know I did. I had a list of things to do but all I could think of was "OH SH-T I JUMPED OUT OF A PLANE." :) If this happens, your instructors will eventually get your attention. My AFF 1 jump was the first jump I ever did - I think you said you've done a tandem already, so it may be less likely that you'll "overload" since you've experienced it before.

I've read it's about a 6 hour ground course before the jump is done--what's covered during those 6 hours?

They will cover everything you need to know to skydive twice. The way one of my instructors put it was something like "We're going to spend about 30 minutes talking about what happens when everything goes right and about four hours talking about what to do if something goes wrong." Again, ask your instructors if there is anything you're not clear on.

What will likely be expected of me for that first jump?

Beer, at least once you're safely on the ground from that first jump.

Any suggestion on how to best prepare or handle myself?

If you like book learnin', you might take a look at the SIM if you haven't already. Note that it talks about "Category A-H" dives; your dropzone may use those same names, or call them "AFF 1-7", or various other things.

Get a good night's sleep and eat breakfast, even if you're nervous. This probably isn't the time to go for the full bacon, eggs, hash browns, waffle, and toast breakfast, but it needs to be more than just a glass of orange juice. There will probably be a break for lunch and you should eat something then, too.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I am afraid of sensory overload. Yes, I've done a couple of tandems and know what it's like, but those jumps were basically ride-alongs; the TI took care of everything, and I hardly had to think about anything. But on an AFF jump, you actually have to focus and think about stuff and pay more attention to different factors. In the tandem jump, if anything went wrong I had my TI to deal with it, but this time it's all on my shoulders--a major responsibility that brings with it anxiety. I don't know if my thinking process would go smoothly. But it's something I wouldn't know how well I'd handle until I actually did it, for sure.

To me, the first AFF jump felt completely differnt than the tandem I did a few weeks earlier. Better in pretty much every single way. You are in more control of your body, and obviously your canopy once you open it. Just relax and pay attention during the course and be able to summarize the important parts to yourself. After my course I couldnt tell you what the names of every malfunction were, but I knew what to look for over my head, and to get rid of something that didnt look like I wanted it to. There will be a lot going through your head, but just make sure to try to have some fun too! Good luck!!!

If you are anything like me you'll never want to do a tandem again.It is that much more incredible.
And if your DZ is anything like mine, your instructor will go over everything again and again if need be.Until you feel comfortable and he feels comfortable with taking you.I sat in the door my first time thinking whatever happens I have been taught how to handle it.Everyone has different fears. Mine wasn't exit or malfunction it was canopy flight. Whatever yours may be, you will have been given the knowledge to deal with it.Good luck and most important have fun!
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

But on an AFF jump, you actually have to focus and think about stuff and pay more attention to different factors. In the tandem jump, if anything went wrong I had my TI to deal with it, but this time it's all on my shoulders--a major responsibility that brings with it anxiety. I don't know if my thinking process would go smoothly.

You'll be fine. There's many an AFF first jump student without the benefit of any tandems. You'll have an Instructor with you.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

During your canopy ride remember that you are the pilot. If the ground person gives you instructions that just don't sound right fly your pattern like you discussed with your instructors before the jump.

On my first jump the ground person almost flew me into the only tree around way out in the middle of a field. The winds had picked up a bit after we took off and with my weight and canopy loading I ended up with no forward momentum when heading into the wind. When I first started my pattern I could tell that I wasn't moving forward much and went to adjust my pattern (decrease the lenght of my downwind leg) but the ground person told me to keep on my downwind and they ended up having to send the golf cart out to get me because when they did finally tell me to turn into the wind I went straight down like an elevator.

I am afraid of sensory overload.

Stop worrying and stop asking too many questions before the course (I.E. this website:PB|:$:P)

You will get information overload, which might be worse than sensory overload.;)

What I mean by that... If you make this experience bigger than it really is, your mind could set you up for failure. "I can't do that", "That sounds difficult", etc...

The truth is, AFF is set up so anyone, even mortal everyday humans, can do great. So far I have not taught a superhero how to skydive, all the students have been everyday people. (Duh - superman already knows how to fly, he does not need us - so there would be no reason to design the class for his level of skills.)

It is all a mind game... You have to believe you can do it, and be confident. That is easy once you start working with your instructors and realize they are humans too working with you to succeed. This is not a military boot camp trying to test you or break you - but a fun experience.

If you over think it, or over research it, or over anything it - it will seem "bigger" or "more overwhelming" or "more complex" than it really is.

So don't worry and go jump.

AFF 1, or CAT A (same thing) is the easiest jump you will make, your instructors will ensure you have a stable freefall and that you pull on time. Just remember to do everything they tell you, like arching, altitude awareness, remember your landing pattern, etc. They will also have you on radio and tell you when to flare. It was for me the easiest jump I ever made except for my two tandems of course. And they wont let you jump if you aren't ready. I saw a guy get ready to board the plane and they asked him to touch his first handle(handle 1 main pc) and he grabbed handle two the cutaway, so they told him he couldn't jump until he remembered the correct sequence. I think he had to come back another day. Just remember to listen to your instructors and you will be fine. Have fun and smile! B|
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

Odds are you might do something and think "crap, I just screwed up". Usually it's no big deal. Just relax. Go over the dive over and over in your head before the jump and on the plane. Imagine it really happening in your head so you can remember everything better when it's time. On my first couple of jumps I lost a lot of time trying to think what I was supposed to be doing next. It's natural. :P
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

First of all - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! B|

I recently did the AFF training. The advice I have read in this thread is pretty much right on. I went into it with no advice - just desire, common sense, and a determination to please my instructor on every jump and then to learn what I could from the result of each of the jumps.

Pay attention to the instructors.
Be serious about it.
Have some fun.
Stay hydrated and eat as needed.
Know the procedures.
Ask questions if you need to.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear all about it!
Kneepuff
Girls just wanna have fuh hun!