Andy_Copland

Baglock (video)

That's a great video example of what happens when one has an out-of-sequence deployment with a BOC. If someone has it as a downloadable file, let me know. If I can download it from YouTube, clue me in please.

I have alway used Firefox with VideoDownloader to grab the FLV file. Then run the FLV through iSquint to convert it to MP4.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

LOL Glad you said that. I was just shaking my head. I don't even take my main down to 2K anymore unless there is 8 or more on the jump.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Since we seem to be working our way back to discussing the event on the video, would someone please answer my question -

What do you think is the root cause of this malfunction?

(I don't really care about what the guy is trying to accomplish - I was taught to cut that shit away immediately. Your ass is more important than your main.)

I was thinking of possible causes:

- Brushing a door frame or other surface on or in the plane, dislodging the pin.
- Broken closing loop.
- Improperly stowed or overly exposed bridle.
- A bad/bent/broken closing pin. (????)

I'm just trying to keep something like this from happening to me.
T.I.N.S.

All of those are possible, it is impossible to say. :P

Check your closing loop every pack job, and replace at the first sign of fuzz. Have a rigger check that the length is correct.

Don't fidget in the plane. If your leaning against the wall of the plane and are moving around you can work either of your pins loose.

Replace worn out BOC spandex.

Ask for pinchecks, he is lucky he didn't have the bag fall out while setting up in the door!!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

What do you think is the root cause of this malfunction?

More info. could be used to help determine the actual cause. Rig size, make and year, main size, and other items.

(

I don't really care about what the guy is trying to accomplish - I was taught to cut that shit away immediately. Your ass is more important than your main.)

Good attitude!

I'm just trying to keep something like this from happening to me.

All of your possibilities are real.

Equipment within manufacturers spec's, proper maintenance, and good gear checks will help prevent this.

I have been thru something similar, and my guess is that the pin was out or close to, prior to exit.

Thanks guys!

Seeing footage like this and being able to discuss it is invaluable to me. What is amazing to me is how far skydiving has evolved, but the fundamentals always apply, i.e. pin checks, spotting (even though you have a GPS), and avoiding catch-hazards, not to mention the fact that the Earth is always waiting to swallow us.

I feel very fortunate to have gotten into this sport at this time, with video so accessible, tunnels to train in, and these forums. I think I have a pretty good shot at not just surviving, I may be able to actually get good at it. We'll see....

Thanks for your insights!

Gato
T.I.N.S.

Some serious follow up questions:

I sent this to my skydiving friends immediately and I think our dialog ended up in a question.

If you had an RSL in this situation, given the height would you want to disconnect it (provided you remembered)?

The theory goes: does that bag the way it is, provide enough drag to pull the pin on the reserve (we assumed yes given the fact it stood the guy up out of belly).

If the RSL didn't extract the pin would you potentially fire the reserve into the bag lock mal? If so would this cause a significant hazard or even if that all did happen would the reserve most likely be ok?

Curious to hear some thoughts.

-Patrick

Some serious follow up questions:

I sent this to my skydiving friends immediately and I think our dialog ended up in a question.

If you had an RSL in this situation, given the height would you want to disconnect it (provided you remembered)?

no

The theory goes: does that bag the way it is, provide enough drag to pull the pin on the reserve (we assumed yes given the fact it stood the guy up out of belly).

The bag itself isn't whats causing the drag to stand the jumper up, it is the pilot chute. The pilot chute will not collapse until after the canopy is out of the bag. Since the pilot chute has enough drag to pull the main pin out, and the reserve pin is generally easier to pull out than the main, I would have to assume that it would pull the reserve pin.

If the RSL didn't extract the pin would you potentially fire the reserve into the bag lock mal? If so would this cause a significant hazard or even if that all did happen would the reserve most likely be ok?

If the RSL didn't extract the pin, as soon as you pull the reserve ripcord, the RSL ring will be free to go on its way with the rest of the main canopy assembly, just the same as if the RSL had done the pulling.