Monkeyb

My first reserve ride

Yesterday I rented gear from the gear shop at my DZ for the first time. My first 50 jumps had been done on student rigs (Navigator 220). I rented a Spectre 190 (i think thats what it was) 7-cell, and there were some minor differences in packing the gear that I had forgotten about. Namely, cocking the pilot chute.

My friend and I decide since it's our first time with new canopies to pull high so we can have some time to feel them out. I deploy main at 4k, wait about 5 seconds, and am still dropping. I cut away real quick and a split second later the reserve opens.

Great relief. So I look to my side and theres a pilot chute wrapped in my risers, and beneath it is my main container (edit: bag) dangling with just one rubber band fastening it. I contemplate landing with it for a minute, but as soon as I unstow the reserve breaks and pick up speed the bag starts drifting up slowly. I thought it would be best to just drop it. After other canopies below me clear out, I unwrap the pilot chute from the reserve risers and let it drop.

Standup landing, and the freebag and main were both found. I did lose the reserve handle though, bummer :(

During my search for the main, my friend and I found a dropped helmet with protrack in it, which was return to it's owner, so something good did come out of the incident :)

Shoutout to the champion (I believe his name is Bobby) who was able to find my freebag!

I deploy main at 4k, wait about 5 seconds, and am still dropping. I cut away real quick and a split second later the reserve opens.

Did you have the main out of the container before cutting away? Did you pull the reserve, or was it the RSL, or was it an SOS system?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

pilot chute wrapped in my risers, and beneath it is my main container (edit: bag) dangling with just one rubber band fastening it. I contemplate landing with it for a minute, but as soon as I unstow the reserve breaks and pick up speed the bag starts drifting up slowly.

Suggest you wear a knife if you don't already.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Kinda sounds like he forgot to cock the pilot chute during packing, realalized it, cocked with the canopy in the bag, had a slow deployment, or a burble, so he cutwawy and the main started deploying, RSL got his reserve out. ......... I would speculate

Oops, I'm sorry, it was a spectre 210 :P

sundevil, when I looked up to check all I saw was the pilot chute, so the minute I cut away I think the main may still have been in the container, but at some point the main made it out of the container, because after the reserve came out my main was hanging off the reserve risers (but still in it's bag).

I'm pretty sure the cypres handled the reserve opening for me after cutaway, but I was told to pull reserve handle always just in case, so I did.

Dubbayab, I never cocked the pilot chute. Since my packing class I had forgotten all about cocking pilot chutes. I was jumping student gear for about a month after the course and the navigators don't need to be cocked, so I forgot all about it on the rental gear. I'm pretty sure that not having a cocked PC is the reason for my problem. In retrospect maybe it might even have opened if I waited longer, who knows. I'm just happy the cutaway didn't result in some other complication.

Oops, I'm sorry, it was a spectre 210 :P

I'm pretty sure the cypres handled the reserve opening for me after cutaway, but I was told to pull reserve handle always just in case, so I did.

I think you meant to say the RSL handled the reserve opening..not the Cypres...at least I hope so.

The other good thing is that you realized pretty quickly that you had a problem (too many people suck it low waiting for a "snivel" to clear or something like that). Then you dealt with the problem.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)