NottsTom

Mailing a Rig US to UK

Did a search but couldn't find the answer.

I need to ship a used rig that I just purchased from the States to the UK. It is currently at my parent's house in the US and they were planning on mailing it to me as a gift. With regards to customs, what is the best way to send it so that I don't have to pay VAT/tax here in the UK when it arrives. Also, any recommendations on the best company to ship with?

Thanks

I bought a rig from the US and had it shipped over. I think I just got lucky and it slipped the net because I never got any import duty applied even despite customs holding the item until I explained what it was.

You could try getting your parents to repackage it in a discrete box and labelling it creatively I suppose. I dunno.. 'lifesaving equipment - do not tamper' or 'sporting goods from repair'. :P

I don't know whether any of that would work but beter than just mailing it as is.

Alternatively you could probably find a travelling skydiver or friend to bring it back for you as hand luggage.

theres a couple of brits leaving deland in 2 weeks. maybe ask them to bring it back. May be cheaper to get acheap flight. With sending your rig it will need insurance. Come over on a flight get a few jumps in and back home
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I just bought a used Cypres from the U.S. and had it posted to me in Malta. Even though it's E.U. origin, manufactured in Germany, I got nailed 128.00EUR on VAT and Duty. Besides that it spent a week in customs as they were so confused as to what it was. I had to provide all kinds of paperwork, etc..

if it's from the folks why cant it just get shipped as gear you already own, being posted to you from mum
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Did you get this figured out. If not, I have another option for you. PM me if you need a hand still.

Oh, and where in the UK are you needed this rig?
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Even if your 'mother' was to post you something that was bought in another country you are still liable to be paying VAT on it in the UK and same in New Zealand.

If you were to have a 'gift' posted to you in the uk i think the magic number is like 35 pounds. If it is over the magic number you will be liable to paying VAT on it.

The best way to ever have skydiving goods bought into the UK is to have it posted as 'demo products to be returned in 90 days'.

second hand goods, well that is a class inits own. Customs are not stupid and if they open your goods up to check them and see paperwork you are stuffed. Something like a cypres comes with paperwork and you will pay VAT. Something like a canopy (without paperwor) you will still be stuffed cause even if it does not have the manufacturers address or a business 'from' address you will be stuffed because of the part whyere you have insured it for the brand new RRP.

I experience all these things when importing skydiving equipment for my customers and have also experienced it with taking a brand new rig that i bought in new zealand that was sent straight to me in the uk then get the third degree by custom officials while taking it back to new zealand.

If anyone wants to know the low down here in australia i can find out and post back as my girlfriends sister is a customs officier at sydney airport.

Have it sent as a demonstration product to be returned within 90 days. No paperwork in the parcel, send that sepratley. I usually go with USPS for my customers as it usually arrives within 4 working days. Be waned though, even as demo gear you may be taxed but mate, that is just the way it goes.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

think for my rig it works out cheaper to go to florida for a few days (i live south UK), do a few jumps then fly it back than to get it shipped with all the taxes and what-not. im hopin to see if theres anyone coming over to uk that can take it as hand luggage though, making sure to mail the docs separately

I think if you pick it p in the states it is made then you may have to pay that states taxes. Pretty sure that this is what is meant to be done but not sure if the manufacturer will not worry about about it. A dealer however, may.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

'return from repair' doesnt always work. i sent a sold rig (no main) to FR that way & insured and they wanted like something like 20% of the declared value from the person who received it. I dont know how it ended up in the end. I know they were going to contest it.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?