loudtom

Skydiving Magazine, How much does it cost to become Skydiver of the Year?

This skydiving award is for Skydiver of the Year. It refers to the previous 12 months

that's a great point - most of the better counter discussions are really more applicable arguments that would pertain to a "Lifetime Achievement" type of award

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

First I want to say to Loud Tom is "Your Fired!" I have instructed and been on the 10way team with him. It is great that you have found a dz that works at the pace you can handle. Have a great season!

Now as an AFFI, Tandem Master, Organizer, part time cook, two time big way sequential record holder and bronze metal winner. I find it extremely rewarding when those I have taught achieve their goals. I wish I was Natasha's original instructors just to be able to say 'I had a small influence in her achievement.' That is what I find this sport is all about. There are many in the sport that I have taught or helped in some way that have past me on many levels. There are also the ones that other instructors have given up on. It is a great feeling to help them just stay in the sport. Now at the start of my 10 season I would love to list many of those names, but it would be well over 100 and I would fear I left someone out. The best rewards are when a "younger" skydiver comes up to you and says something like "you are one of the their top 5 skydivers they know." or when one of your students with 222 jumps is the star at a 80 way camp or the team that hires a player coach to do 300 jumps and HOURS of tunnel (Go TEAM) or the when one of the all girl teams you encouraged to do 4way wins Bronze at USPA Nationals or how about the truck driver others thought should quit the sport is still jumping after three season because you gave them the advice to fix their problem so they could do the sport that both of us fell in love with. These are just a few examples of my REWARDS in the sport so far. These people are why I am doing what I do to help the sport grow and to have self fulfillment in the sport. Not a piece of paper or metal. Now I want also want thank all those who influenced me in the sport, but the list is again long. Help our sport grow again… THINK POSTIVE!

Four things I have learned in this sport. Ambition is what gets us started, Attitude gives us direction and Ability is our goal. I am still learning and always will in this sport as well as life. The fourth is NEVER GIVE UP! This has many meanings.

Congratulations NATASHA... You earned your achievements!

Eric Bickel

...just to be able to say 'I had a small influence in her achievement.' That is what I find this sport is all about.

I think the issue the OP is making, it's people like YOU that should actually be up for S-D-O-Y! :)

There is a big difference between 'personal' achievement and overall contribution. :$

Good on YOU, we as a sport need more like ya! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thank you for thinking so, but there are many examples of people in life that are the front people and they have tons of support people who do not get the awards. Natasha is a great choice for S.D.O.T.Y.! The problem in the sport right now is being "seen" If the USPA can show the general public the achievements’ of someone like Natasha's. Then just maybe more will join the sport. ESPN will not cover our US Nationals in full, but will show repeat after repeat of the world series of poker. (I love the game) The military days of the sport are over. We all need to market our sport better, if you love it. My attitude is 'make it happen'

4) So maybe a Tunnel award, IMO I'll always be more impressed by the jumper who learned their skills whilst diving thru the sky, hence the name of the award "Skydiver" of the year.

Completely agree. Tunnel flying is flying in a tunnel. Skydiving is jumping out of an aircraft.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

3)replying to PeterB who wrote< ...getting there in three yrs....practically unheard of in modern skydiving..>
Ah, you forget tunnels.

I still can't think of someone that got that far in that short amount of time, tunnel or not. Maybe that Russian camerawoman who films the skysurfer.

Might want to look at some other disciplines... its been done.. and faster...

As of this point in time I am penning the first edition of my own skydiving rag. since this great accomplishment has me totally exillerated I have also decxided that I am going to award myself my rags first Skydiver of the Year Award. It is going to be printed on a giant rolling paped so I use it for a worthwhile purpose afterwards. You know I have come up with a million great ideas for the skydiving population, and I have been giving to the sport for years. Now since I am not rich I think this helps to level the playing field out, of course I also understand that life is what it is and at least I can be happy for what skydiving has given to me, if not for what I have given to skydiving.;)

By the way there is a lesson in there somewhere:):):P

edited cause I'm also a great speller, er, penmen, er, writer...
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

End result: She had cash, she used that cash to advance her abilities in the sport. (more cash=more jumps available to make = ability to fund her team.)

More power to her. Sounds like a lot of the bitching here is more petty jealousy than anything else. You want more cash? Work harder to get it.

Go, Natasha. Well done.

Notice also that every SotY previous wasn't a multi-millionaire, or whatever. How come we're picking on her specifically?

What she won for is not what our sport is all about.

You made a lot of assumptions about the person you have never met. What Natasha won for is ALL our sport is all about. What you seem to fail to understand, is that Natasha’s accomplishments would not be possible if she did not have that talent and fantastic drive. Apart from that Natasha is a cool, cheerful and easy-going person. She is a queen of 4-way and a world champion who set the new standards and inspired many. She is skydiver of the year.

End result: She had cash, she used that cash to advance her abilities in the sport. (more cash=more jumps available to make = ability to fund her team.)

More power to her. Sounds like a lot of the bitching here is more petty jealousy than anything else. You want more cash? Work harder to get it.

Go, Natasha. Well done.

Here Here,

I spent $16000.00 in my 1st year skydiving, the reason I spent 16K is that I ran out of money. If I had $16 million, you can sure as shit bet I would have spent a WHOLE LOT more than 16K in that 1st year.
All you whingers look petty and green and jealous, you sorry sorry people:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You're right. I am sorry to have started something so negative...I didn't mean to get down on anyone, really. I learned a good lesson if that means anything. Thanks RainbowB|
What that team has done is great and should be applauded to the highest degree. This isn't at all what I had planned.
Sorry to Natasha and everyone else who has to put up with me. This is me keeping my fingers quiet...
tom
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

the reason I spent 16K is that I ran out of money...

Wow Squeak!

You mean you PAY to skydive?! :o:S

MY motto has always been~

Make a skydive, Get a check! :P

I'm working on it:D I do a little coaching now and I'm endevouring to do my AFFI in July :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?