craig_b

Back Loop, Front Loop, Barrel Roll A License

I'm heading for my A License and can't quite seem to get one vital part down. In the requirement for doing a Back Loop, Front Loop and Barrel Roll I seem to always get 2 out of 3 and then go unstable. I know the Proficiency Card doesn't say "Jump #" it says "Date" but I still think it is supposed to be done in one jump. Does anyone have a suggestion on the progression thru these 3 manuevers that would make it work for me? Timing, speed, technique, etc?

All 3 manuevers do not have to be completed on 1 jump.

Try doing just the backloops with regaining good stability, and then have it signed off before moving on to the other manuevers.

Don't overload yourself on the jumps, relax and enjoy them, but most of all maintain atlitude awareness and be safe. :)
-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

As Im sure other will state, the whole idea is to get you "unstable" to see if you can get stable. I still have problems with each, but, I can sure exit "unstable" just fine ;) and recover just fine.

Just relax....and most of all have FUN B|

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

the whole idea is to get you "unstable" to see if you can get stable.

Correct ;)

Just relax....and most of all have FUN

How about this.... :)
Just relax, have fun.....and most of all be safe B|

It may keep you skydiving longer my friend. ;)

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

How about this.... :)
Just relax, have fun.....and most of all be safe B|

It may keep you skydiving longer my friend. ;)

-

Yes, My BAD, in this day and age, we can not assume anything....BE SAFE!! B|

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Heya Craig!

Have you tried them yet?
I did them a few jumps ago from 12,5 while I had a coach with me video taping it all.

Back Loop (easiest for me)
went by really quick, I did a pause,
Then, tucked up my knees, threw my head and arms forward for a front loop.
Returned to Belly to earth stable...
Make a motion to roll out a bed,
switch arms to continue the roll
when youre on your back and then
your belly to earth again.

I was nervous about, it too. But start to end was only a handful of seconds. Period. FAST!

You'll like it!
Have a coach with ya could help a lot, maybe?

Check it out, they are really awesome fun!

:)

All 3 manuevers do not have to be completed on 1 jump.

Try doing just the backloops with regaining good stability, and then have it signed off before moving on to the other manuevers.

Don't overload yourself on the jumps, relax and enjoy them, but most of all maintain atlitude awareness and be safe. :)
-

Thank you so very much. I wasn't sure on the regulations as to completing on 1 jump. I can get them signed off now because between jump 16 and jump 18 I did all three beautifully.

And thank you to everyone for the support. I do relax well, have fun...... and getting unstable in itself can be fun and then a nice arch, breath and it's belly to earth! :)

My diving exits work great out of an Otter.... stable all the way!

So for all......
BLUE SKIES!!!!

"Make a motion to roll out a bed,
switch arms to continue the roll
when youre on your back and then
your belly to earth again."

I love that description..... I will try that one. My last roll was perfect but I need more! thank you

I had video done for every one of my AFF dives. Great learning tool.

Stable DIVING EXITS...!

You're way head of me my friend! I gotta get those down yet. Plan on gettin at that this weekend....

It's all good!

Blues!
-LiLa.

I never really did them till this weekend, and I've gotta say I wish I had been sooner because I think it's the easiest exit for me, I can dive out and be stable the whole exit no problem, and it's just an awsome way out :) I think I found which exit I will use for my Hop-and-Pop that I STILL need to do :S

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

......Timing, speed, technique, etc?

Hey, Craig,

You've got hundeds of very experienced people who can give you advice at Perris. But since you're asking, here's my $0.02:

If you want to do all three maneuvers in one skydive, think of them as three separate skydives. Do one maneuver, then take your time getting stable. Second maneuver.....get stable. Then last. Be sure you're stable before you go on to the next maneuver. You should have plenty of time to do this from 13,000'.

The most difficult of these IMO is the barrel roll, so you might be better off doing that one first.

Practice this several times before you go up with S&TA to do the dive. Concentrate on not moving on to the next maneuver until you're completely stable.

After each maneuver, while you're getting stable check your altimeter to be sure you have plenty of time to move on. Never lose altitude awareness.

I'm sure you'll get this down without any problem. Have fun! Keep safe!

Dave
WEB SITE: www.newconthenet.com

Thank you Dave. That was one approach I was thinking of and to somewhat clear my mind inbetween each one also. I always was able to laugh when I tried the rapid succession as the third one always sent me tumbling or into turtle.

Perris is such a great place with so many experience jumpers willing to help the new jumpers. I am very fortunate as my jumpmaster/instructor for almost all my jump school lessons was Jim Wallace. I have about 3 true mentors that are watching and helping.

So, one at a time, calm and stable inbetween, three SEPARATE manuevers.

Thanks Again!
Blue Skies
Craig

Are diving exits really smooth?

I didn't really care for the poised exit, like the hanging better, but still wuffle about some side to side.

SO- out of a Cessna, can you just kinda, step out and LAUNCH yourself off the plateform over the wheel?

I figure the least amount of time I spend getting ready to do the exit itself, the faster and easier it'll be. At least for me anyways!

Blues-
LiLa.

I'm an Otter Baby but have also jumped out of the Sky Van so I can't really comment on the Cesna.

But I love the diving exit out of the otter, it is so easy for me.... first one was all over the place, head down, sideways, spinning. But once I figured it out it is my best exit. I just approach the door, put feet and body 45 degrees to the door... chest forward, grab the bar and check DZ location in a relaxed lean out, then I just let go, lean out with a bit of force, chest to the props, body out 45 degrees to long plane axis, arms out, feet out and away it takes me right into the stream. I actually feel stable right on exit but hang with it until I feel what I call the "soft" air, maybe 3 seconds at the most. My description is just what I feel now, have an instructor go over it with you and adjust for YOU.

I'm an Otter Baby but have also jumped out of the Sky Van so I can't really comment on the Cesna.

But I love the diving exit out of the otter, it is so easy for me.... first one was all over the place, head down, sideways, spinning. But once I figured it out it is my best exit. I just approach the door, put feet and body 45 degrees to the door... chest forward, grab the bar and check DZ location in a relaxed lean out, then I just let go, lean out with a bit of force, chest to the props, body out 45 degrees to long plane axis, arms out, feet out and away it takes me right into the stream. I actually feel stable right on exit but hang with it until I feel what I call the "soft" air, maybe 3 seconds at the most. My description is just what I feel now, have an instructor go over it with you and adjust for YOU.

The diving exit I think I like best (out of the otter) is facing the rear of the plane and diving almost head down, feet back arms out.. I seem to be stable immediately on this exit. The exits that I'm facing the wind stream seem to be less stable to me.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

SO- out of a Cessna, can you just kinda, step out and LAUNCH yourself off the plateform over the wheel?

On a Cessna, if the pilot will let you, climb out with feet on the wheel platform, move out as far as you can hang onto the strut, let you feet go and give a big wave and smile to the pilot and let go!!!!

Caution: Talk to the pilot BEFORE doing this, if you dont, you may get a "shake" off the strut :)

Are diving exits really smooth?

I didn't really care for the poised exit, like the hanging better, but still wuffle about some side to side.

If you launch yourself out the back of the cessna, you'll probably do a forward flip on the first time. Sounds like a leaping pushoff. But you can do the exit in a hurry. If you poise on the platform on your left foot, right foot on the front door edge, facing back and just release over that left foot, you may get the calmest diving exit. You do still need to focus on a target or you could end up with the side to side.

to not flip on (forward) diving exit, put arms out and put your feet on your butt

Definitely. But if you "launch" yourself out, to me that implies a pretty strong impulse and a stiffening of the legs that can contribute to a forward roll. Didn't want Lila to be too surprised by it.

So VERY important.... don't LAUNCH..... I did that 2 times and it is head over heels!! You would really laugh at my video coming out of the skyvan with a "launched" dive exit! Good entertainment for all and I never realized I could do aerobatics!! Sure does teach you to breath and arch though!

out of an otter mine comes from bending over and out while hanging on to the bar to see DZ position and then just falling into it at 45 degrees, chest to props. It is the most natural for me, really just like falling out! LOL

So VERY important.... don't LAUNCH..... I did that 2 times and it is head over heels!! You would really laugh at my video coming out of the skyvan with a "launched" dive exit! Good entertainment for all and I never realized I could do aerobatics!! Sure does teach you to breath and arch though!

You can exit faster that way though, esp out of the more awkward 182/206 doors. In time we get better at not flipping unless we want to.

I think it does make for better video, though. Just not for RW work.

WHY/HOW would "launching" make me flip?
Could I dive off, like a swan dive, without tumbling?
Ya know, with body arched, arms to side,
BUT with keeping my feet on butt.
Would THAT keep me stable in a diving exit???

Winds have kept me grounded lately!
But continue to visualize this diving exit...

Ah Autumn and the "joys" of the impending COLD!
NOT!
Gonna HAVE TO get in aWEEKDAY JUMP!
b/c somebody must be "ordering"up
these blustery weekend winds!
Whoever's doing:( that KNOCK IT OFF;)!

Blues!
:)

My experience is only out of an Otter and a SkyVan. This is what my instructor told me, and after reviewing my videos found it to be true. For the Otter.... If you "launch" as a student you tend to bend down and jump up (at least you think you are) but you actually launch more in a head down and most likely miss the part of "chest to wind" so your momentum and then prop wash on your feet just toss you on over. For the SkyVan, similiar things happen because you tend to launch using bent knees and jumping upperwards and then the head comes down, then the wash off the back catches your legs and pushes you on over.

Now..... I do have fun out of the Skyvan doing this exact thing on purpose now.... solo dive and just going head over heals out of the back..... love it and coming around to belly to ground feels really great.

Anyway, keep practicing and trying new ways with little changes, listen to your instructor and if you can have somebody watch you go out and tell you what happened it helps too. I found what I THOUGHT happened was different than what DID happen! LOL

Blue Skies!!