Ron

Actual hook Knife use stories.

Have you seen the video from Jeffro, Omar and Jeremy (guys out at Skydvie AZ)...Jeffro uses his, it is the funniest actual use of a hook knive I have ever seen (actually on a flying main parachute)

I use mine all the time... It is a beer opener... (the Aerodyne hook knife is a knife so rough and tough you could skin a bear with it...but it doubles as a beer opener, it is all metal)
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

So far no one Personally has used one. Tony has and thats kinda close.

We have a few "I know a guy" stories.

I would venture to say that outside of CRW there is not much a use for one. And that most problems could be fixed another way.

And then there are the stories when the person should have had one. I'm sure you have heard Mike Wolf's story about his cutaway and how he really could have used a hook knife.

Hook knives were needed at the dz twice this year - once in the birdman tangle, and then another when a bootie snagged on the Cesna step and the jumper was stuck hanging upside down. The hook knife saved the day both times. And as it turns out, it was the same jumper in both scenarios.

I don't plan to use my Cypres, but I have one and spent the cash on it. I have a hook knife on my chest strap for the same reason (and I can reach it with either hand).

Have you seen the video from Jeffro, Omar and Jeremy (guys out at Skydvie AZ)...Jeffro uses his, it is the funniest actual use of a hook knive I have ever seen (actually on a flying main parachute)

Thats a funny video - Cracked me up to see how much Jeffro was laughing as he was destroying a precision "something very small". He still had to cut about 10 lines before it really stopped flying though!!!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I have personally used a hook knife.

Video is here. Stills are here.

I think that without the hook knife, that would have hurt quite a bit more. I don't think there was another way to clear the malfunction.

OK, thats a BASE jump where cutting away and using a reserve is not an option.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Well, this is another 'I know a guy story...' but here goes. A bloke had a two out and landed while entangled in his main he couldn't really do anything and when he landed people ran over and found he was turning a funny colour and being strangled by the lines of his main. He had a hook knife (compulsory in the UK) and someone grabbed it and sliced the lines from around his throat. Not used under canopy, but better than someone having to run right back to DZ control or whatever to fetch one.

-----------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------

'Everybody needs a mate called Dave'

I think the quiz was rigged....:D
Remster

I performed a gunslinger cutaway

What do you mean? A canopy transfer?

Nope, it's a cutaway where pilot chute launch and riser release occur simultaneously. Once the cutaway pad is peeled, you pull both handles vigorously at the same time.

As it was, I suffered nerve damage in my left hand (since recovered). Had I gone back into freefall, I may have lost fingers.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I did once. At about 1000 jumps with a conservative wing loading of about 1:1. I had a left brake line become unstowed during opening, and wrapped around the top of the riser, with the ear part of the toggle trapped between some lines with tension on it. I opened in a turn, but not a bad one. I reached up to try to untangle it, but there was too much tension, and when I tried to pull the riser down to work on it, I went in to more of a turn. I then cleared the right brake, and managed to fly straight. Could I have landed that? Probably, and with a good plf would have been ok, although it was about 3/4 brakes the whole way. Could I have chopped it and landed my reserve safely? Yes. But I chose to hold my right toggle in my right hand to fly straight, hold my left toggle in my left hand and reach across with my right and cut the steering line just above the toggle. The toggle came off in my hand, the steering lines slipped on through and trailed behind, and I steered on into the landing area and rear riser flared. But I had it all done by about 1800 ft. The repair cost me $00.00 and about twenty minutes, as opposed to reserve repack possible and loss of free bag, but that was not the determing factor. It was just the right decision for me at the time. Different wing loadings, experience , and opening altitudes would certainly make a difference.
I was jinxed! Before loading the plane for that jump, a nonjumper had asked me what the hook knife was for and if I had ever used it before. I said no, never.
-------------------------------------------------
Lord please help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am.

I've seen lots of actual hookknife use - all during CRW gone bad. Plenty of cut lines, a few canopies sliced and diced, and a number of pilotchutes (including two of mine B|).

I'd never had occasion to need mine until last year's CRW nationals, but luckily for my teammates canopy I couldn't. Cocooned head to toe, I couldn't reach either knife or either handle and my left 3-ring was fouled with fabric as well :S.

Outside of CRW, I anticipate little need for a knife, but I always carry two just the same.

Bob

PS - Chico didn't cut his reserve lines at Ranoul, though he did manage to slice the slider. He was cutting the lines of the other canopy that was entangled with his main and reserve. Talk about mid-air rigging!

So I ask the group:

Outside of CRW there is not much NEED for a hook knife correct?

I mean very few actual hook knife uses have happend compared to total jumps made.

The evidence says that you will not need one, and if you do need one you most likley will not use it.

So why have one?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

For the same reason I have a reserve

You have a reserve because it is required by law....Hook knives are not required.

Why do you have a hook knife?

You have a reserve because it is required by law....

I have a reserve because I trash pack and jump a high perfomance main that *might* spin up. I *might* need it.

The law consideration is secondary to me.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I have a reserve because I trash pack and jump a high perfomance main that *might* spin up. I *might* need it.

then why do you not jump a third reserve? You *might* need it.

Did you make a choice to have one based off of personal experience?
Did you make a choice to have one based off of the SIM?
Did you get one because it came with the rig?
Did you get one cause you were told to?
Did you get one based off of research and analasis of data?

Why do you have one?

The law consideration is secondary to me.

Off topic, but it does not matter what other reasons you might have...You need one due to the law.

I made the choice to have one because the cost of a peice of equipment I might have need for was low enough as not to be a consideration and the incovinence of mounting it was minimal.

That and sometimes you have stubborn rubberbands or an O2 hose that needs trimming......:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Over half my jumps have been with no hook knife. Got one as an option when I bought a new container. I can't say I really feel safer knowing I have it. I never really cared about not having one because I had no clue what I'd do with it if I did have it.

I don't regularly practice grabbing mine. It's not part of any emergency procedure I've memorized or practiced. It's just there... just in case. It's little, it's light, it stays out of my way. I MIGHT really really need it some day.

But for example when I did a couple wingsuit jumps a couple weekends ago, my hook knife was under the suit (on my leg strap). I didn't feel the need to find an alternate spot for it for a couple jumps.

Odds are I'll never need my hook knife (unlike the odds that I'll need my reserve). But what's the disadvantage of carrying one?

Dave

But what's the disadvantage of carrying one?

No disadvantage at all.

I am just have a few questions about some items and trying to find out why people have them.

For you, it came with the rig, and since you don't think you will need it you just kept it incase you might.

Also, you might want to spend *some* time knowing where it is...You know how when things go bad you revert back to training and sometimes judgement is clouded.

thanks for the honest answer.

I have a hook knife. I even know where it is. It's really cheap passive insurance against a very unlikely event. If it were more expensive, I'd probably forgo it.

I have riser inserts, too, even though my main isn't particularly high performance or highly-loaded.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Also, you might want to spend *some* time knowing where it is...

Oh I do... I often touch it just before boarding, right after all my handles. But knowing where it is (and how to find it if my hand doesn't go straight to it) is not the same as repeated practice at removing it from the pocket and getting a good grip on it to use it.

I find mine tricky to grab quickly on the ground. No clue how well I'd do when I NEED it.

Dave

For the same reason I have a reserve

You have a reserve because it is required by law....Hook knives are not required.

I feel its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

The ONE time I won't have it with me would be the ONE time I would need it.

It stays.
Scars remind us that the past is real