autoset

Large canopy in small container = total malf, What about the opposite?

Packing a large canopy in a small container will make it stay too tight inside and it will require a stronger pull force by the PC to take the pin out, there's an obvious risk of having a total malfunction.

What could happen if we did the opposite? Small canopy in large container? Apart from a possible premature deployment?

What could happen if we did the opposite? Small canopy in large container? Apart from a possible premature deployment?

:S

You will drive people crazy from the sounds of the small dbag bouncing around inside the container when you move around.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Where the bag is pulled off from the canopy and the canopy is left in the container. Its kinda like the old pull a tablecloth off a table but leav the dishes in place trick. For a reserve its can be fatal since there is no way to get the canopy out.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

> bag strip? whats that?

When the PC pulls hard enough to force the canopy out of the bag prematurely. It can happen more often when:

-the PC is oversized
-the stows are loose/short/missing
-the canopy is rattling around inside the bag (i.e. it can "fall out")
-airspeed is high

Been there, done that, not proud of the result.

Twenty-some-odd years ago, I bought a new main canopy that packed considerably smaller than my old main. When I packed it into my old container, I revelled in how much easier it was to close. I made a mental note to shorten the main closing loop "sometime in the near future."
Next jump, a guy bumped me during exit, hard enough to knock my main pin out. I immediately felt the main container go slack. A glance over my shoulder revealed a bag in tow/horseshoe malfunction, with my main pilot chute still in its pouch.
Tossing the main pilot chute transformed it into a bag lock type malfunction with a few lines wrapped around it, holding the d-bag closed.
I dragged that down to 3,000 feet before cutting away and pulling my reserve ripcord.
My round reserve set me down softly on the DZ and we spent the rest of the afternoon searching for my shiny new main, still inside its green d-bag, amongst young trees near the river. Did I mention that it was springtime and the new leaves were almost the same colour as my d-bag and pilot chute.

The morale of this story is: if you ask yourself "Should I shorten this closing loop?" quit wasting time and shorten the damn thing!

Packing a large canopy in a small container will make it stay too tight inside and it will require a stronger pull force by the PC to take the pin out, there's an obvious risk of having a total malfunction.

As long as you didn't use tools to close the container the pilot chute is going to have enough drag to extract it at terminal.

With a 135 in a container built for a 205 it falls out when you lean against the plane, the pack job compresses, and the closing loop loses the little tension it had.

The morale of this story is: if you ask yourself "Should I shorten this closing loop?" quit wasting time and shorten the damn thing!

The same goes for a larger canopy in a smaller container. I have had several CRW jumps where I should have lengthened my closing loop (quick/bulky pack job) but didn't. The result a pilot chute in tow till the pull force could pull the pin. A delay of 5 or more seconds on a lightning is going to leave you sore.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

> bag strip? whats that?

When the PC pulls hard enough to force the canopy out of the bag prematurely. It can happen more often when:

-the PC is oversized
-the stows are loose/short/missing
-the canopy is rattling around inside the bag (i.e. it can "fall out")
-airspeed is high

I believe the root problem is that the PC pulls the bag and inertia wants to keep the canopy in the container. The only thing that keeps the canopy in the bag when the PC pulls the bag of the back is the elastics, particularly the locking stoes.

PC over sized means a more rapid deceleration of the bag placing more stress on the elastics, High airspeed means a more rapid deceleration which once again put more strain on the elastics, loose or missing stoes which place a strain on those elastics left.

Other things that can contribute to a bag strip is also a large (heavy) canopy, which is why we use 80lbs elastics instead on the standard 40lbs elastics on tandems, and using wornout elastics.

If we want to reduce the chance of a bag strip, we have replace locking stoe elastics which start to show wear, ensure proper line bights and use the correct elastics for the lines/canopies we're using.

Finally, I can see how a canopy that is undersized can "fall out" or slip between the stoes on opening but I haven't had any exposer to that type of incident.

Just thought I'd clarify the factors because when I'm packing other peoples mains, I'm often shocked at the multitude of various sizes and types of tube stoes and elastics on jumpers d-bags and I've seen too many people use elastics that are holding together by about 5 molecules of rubber!:o
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.