SoCalJumper

I'd like to learn a thing or two about spotting

>I would take my helmet off so they could get a good look at my face…..you know in case they wanted discuss >the issue on the ground.

Yes you would. Here's one instance where taking my helmet off was the last thing I wanted to do though. It was my first week on staff @ perris after 5 years @ elsinore....

Shooting video and my tandem, pax, and myself where last out of the otter and we were long. Like really long. Like on the other side of the power lines on the other side of Ethenac road long. And I knew the uppers to be relatively light that day. Pat Connatser was flying and had a pilot-in-training in the right seat. She was about 20 something wearing a pair of shorts that if you pulled them out of the dryer and held them up they would be about 8 inches tall. Point-being, he was distracted that day.
So....I toggle the switch and refuse the spot and he shuts off the light, yanks the a/c into a tight 270, flies right over the top and continues towards the southern end of the 215. By the time he gets there he's wondering why the hell I'm not going and screams "what are you waiting for"? I yell back through my helmet and bite switch...."the green light". Now well past the 215 he turns on the light and I say "you want me to take this now??". Another really tight turn, back over the top and me and my tandem guy leave. Fast forward a bit and I'm not even off the landing area and Moley is out there asking me " tell me what happened?". I can only imagine that when Pat called down on the radio the conversation went something like this..."who the hell is that guy and why is he still working here?".

To both of theirs credit, I continued on at Perris for another 3 years or so. I wore my helmet as often as possible around Pat C though...:-)

rmarshall234

>I would take my helmet off so they could get a good look at my face…..you know in case they wanted discuss >the issue on the ground.

Yes you would. Here's one instance where taking my helmet off was the last thing I wanted to do though. It was my first week on staff @ perris after 5 years @ elsinore....

Shooting video and my tandem, pax, and myself where last out of the otter and we were long. Like really long. Like on the other side of the power lines on the other side of Ethenac road long. And I knew the uppers to be relatively light that day. Pat Connatser was flying and had a pilot-in-training in the right seat. She was about 20 something wearing a pair of shorts that if you pulled them out of the dryer and held them up they would be about 8 inches tall. Point-being, he was distracted that day.
So....I toggle the switch and refuse the spot and he shuts off the light, yanks the a/c into a tight 270, flies right over the top and continues towards the southern end of the 215. By the time he gets there he's wondering why the hell I'm not going and screams "what are you waiting for"? I yell back through my helmet and bite switch...."the green light". Now well past the 215 he turns on the light and I say "you want me to take this now??". Another really tight turn, back over the top and me and my tandem guy leave. Fast forward a bit and I'm not even off the landing area and Moley is out there asking me " tell me what happened?". I can only imagine that when Pat called down on the radio the conversation went something like this..."who the hell is that guy and why is he still working here?".

To both of theirs credit, I continued on at Perris for another 3 years or so. I wore my helmet as often as possible around Pat C though...:-)

Pat is a pretty good kid. You were lucky his old man was not flying. B|

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

BigMark

At Perris before GPS we had cloud cover and everyone was shouting GO GO GO, we refused and asked the pilot to circle down under the clouds, good thing as we were over a Mountain somewhere East.

I noticed your Bad Spot Bill avitar.....there's a good chance we know each other.

Sparky

http://www.airtrash.com/
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Old schoolie told me once, the spot should be in such a way, that when there is a cutaway, the main should land back on the dz........For everyone.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

SoCalJumper

Who does it anymore, in skydiving actually over an operating DZ?

Obviously if you look out and you're somehow over a lake I wouldn't jump. But all I've ever seen for the most part is a green light and I'm in the exit order somehow.

The only time I've actuality spotted in 600 jumps where the hot air balloon jumps, and I've landed off fewer times than that.

I'd recommend that you put this into action by actually practicing spotting. Your going to have to speak with the pilot, and finding the local dz owner is also a good idea. Perhaps they can let you practice on the provision that your first out or last out, so that you don't affect anyone else as an idea. You might have better luck with places that make multiple jump runs? Or traveling to a place like Eloy and seeing if the 206 is available, or for that matter any place that has a 206 / 182 and you offer to pick up some of the operating costs? Just some suggestions to take the many great ideas already mentioned and put them into practice!
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

If you're way, way off, move over and invite the loudmouths to go ahead.

+1... B|:D

Personally, I look for the roads... Look out the door, and take one road out to the horizon, then stick your head out the door and take another road to the horizon. Look down, and see where things are intersecting. That will put you close most times, assuming you know the roads...
We are all engines of karma

rmarshall234

>That was before turbines and 15 sticks per pass.

I know most of the jargon, but... "sticks per pass"?

Sticks, also known as groups. "Groups per pass".
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Get a round, get out at 10,000' and you'll learn how to spot.

This is the best idea I've seen on learning how to spot. But, what 200 jump person will have the balls to do this? B|

I had around 500 jumps. Jumping an old container, and I had packed the bag too tight, with a loose closing loop. Front floating on a 2-way out of a beech that day. The person in the door suddenly had an absolute look of horror in their eyes. Looked behind me, my bag was out, and the beech tail was 5 feet lower than my bag. Immediately stepped off the rail, had a plate of spaghetti above me, got stable, and pulled my pilot chute around 11K. Big, big time bag lock, because everything was still a plate of spaghetti. I'm 11,000 feet above the earth, standing straight up at 100+ mph, and I didn't want to cut away, because I could not afford a new canopy. Spent a good 5 minutes doing two things:

1) Keep the risers from twisting up to the back of my neck. Absolutely E-ticket ride, like I've never had since.
2) Looking at the roads, and other landmarks, because it seemed like the right thing to do.

I cut away around 3K, opened my square reserve, landed way out in the middle of a wine/grape field, and spent the rest of the day looking for my canopy. Thank God Stretch knew me, and spent another week looking for it. He found it, and I bought him a 6-pack of beer.

Spotting is good.
We are all engines of karma

Hmph. I just jumped a round in October; threw a streamer, spotted, and jumped. Landed about 20' from the peas.

Of course, I've done it a few times :D, and it was out of a 182, with absolutely no one yelling at me about the spot, because I was the one with the round

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)