jasleegoyne

whats so wrong with a round reserve??

I have about 60 round jumps, 2 round reserve rides, 2 square rides.

Back in the day, people pretty much never stopped jumping in brisk winds just because they had a round reserve. I think that would be the same now, if we still used them. We knew it would be a bad situation if we needed to use them in such winds, but just put up with the risk.

I sure was glad when I had my last 2 reserve rides on squares. The first was in Seattle, I doubt I could have avoided the trees and made the clearing under a round. The second was at Eloy, again with a fair amount of wind. I landed off the DZ, and the desert out there is fairly dense with nasty vegetation that is no fun to play with.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I don't mind round reserves, but one may want to consider one's DZ environment when making the choice.

My only reserve until 2002 was a round, but I was mainly jumping at a DZ that was "traditional" in that it had a lot of open fields around it. I'd think a lot more about squares if I were at a DZ surrounded by forests and subdivisions.

I'm curious to know who told you there was something "wrong" with a round reserve.

If there is nothing wrong with one why do you not have one in your current rig? They are cheaper after all.
I think the main thing "wrong" with a round reserve is the landings hurt more.

I've only have one reserve ride and that was under a 24' ripstop.... but I was MUCH younger and I weighed less too!

I'll stick to a square reserve now.

Attached is a picture of the one that saved me.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I have a few myself... 1 x 24' ripstop and 2 on a 26' Phantom, all stand-up landings TYVM (I was young and immortal at the time) Of course, this doesn't count the 24' Flat that I unwittingly jumped on my 400th. But that's a different story... ;)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Not sure if this is important or relevant..... but a few years ago my round LoPo reserve was condemned by my rigger after it failed an Acid Test (not sure what that means, other than I have to buy new gear)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

In the UK, any round reserve that is fitted with mesh (in other words, any 'modern' round reserve) has to be acid tested with a bromocreosol solution each time it's repacked.
This is because it was discovered that the mesh used in some reserves can contain an acid residue that attacks the F111 material and seriously weakens it. I think it may also be necessary to perform a tensile strength test on the material, using a modified pair of mole grips and a spring balance - but I'm not 100% certain on regulations about this.

Some people whose round reserves failed the acid test would wash the canopy in plain water, which apparently reduced the acidity of the mesh (at least as far as the bromocreoosol test was concerned).

Personally, I'd say that unless you have a really good reason for using a round reserve then you ought to be using a square. Having said that, I had an incident about 18 years ago which I probably wouldn't have survived if I'd have had a square reserve rather than a round.

Pete.

In the UK, any round reserve that is fitted with mesh (in other words, any 'modern' round reserve) has to be acid tested with a bromocreosol solution each time it's repacked.
This is because it was discovered that the mesh used in some reserves can contain an acid residue that attacks the F111 material and seriously weakens it.

I remember reading about this problem back in the early 80's with Strong 26' Lopos with mesh vents but I thought they corrected that acid problem long ago.
How high are we going? Oh about 9000. Oh Mr. Pilot! How high are we going? Oh about 12000! That's the ticket!

to be honest with everybody,I like my gear,very well,I have alot of fun with the cruislite,its a very tuneable pack,and I like how it handles except when the wind chages direction on final(it gets a little hairy) and as far as rounds are concerned my friend pop has been jumping since the fifties any questions about flight handling I ask him,and because of what he has told me about them I would have no quams about deploying it,as a matter of fact I'd love to get a shot to jump a paracommander one day just to see what it was like,my only reason for questioning a round reserve here is that I have such a hard time finding anyone to repack it,and have gotten blasted at DZ's for even showing up with such a thing,as for me I'm pretty much a newbie to the sport,only been jumping since "03",but I want to be here a long time,and look forward to jumping with the some of you that have no problems with the older gear!!
skydiver fall down go BOOM!!

Attached is a picture of the one that saved me.

Low D-rings too! Ouch. I dumped one of those at terminal once. Not something you forget, is it?:S

I've only had one non-terminal reserve ride... so I can't speak from experience.

All I remember was when I pulled the R3s, both really hard at the same time - just like they were Capewells, that my main ripcord handle flew off my hand and went back into to freefall at the same moment I did. It was falling at the same rate, 10 feet away, and I remember thinking... "I'll never see that again.... crap gotta pull my reserve"

Never did see it again... had to buy a new handle when my reserve was repacked.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Hey get it packed up...I am getting two belly warts repacked for the water jumps... PC and Papillion I have not decided what I am going to jump in the lake this year yet.

I have 5 reserve rides on rounds...one on a water jump...

Main thing to remember for jumping a rig with a round reserve.. ALWAYS... spot for the round...

ANY round reserve can be steered if you know how.. some are steerable with toggles.. others.. you can slip to one side or another very easily to help you miss any obstacles on the ground.

HMM Maybe thats what I will jump.. get out one of the old 26' Lopo's.... and hook it up for a main..:)

Unfortunately I don't own it anymore and its not even in the same province.

I'd do a water jump on a round without any question since I've lost weight. And with lots of jumps from the old days on my own round gear.... it would be fun!