northcave

Cloud Surfing at Sunset

Was on the golf course yesterday and these clouds look amazing.

http://www.timgood.net/temp/1.jpg

http://www.timgood.net/temp/2.jpg

I thought how great it would be open just above them and be able to flying around it from the ultra-bright sunny side through to the shadow and back. It was around 9pm in the UK.

Has anyone had the pleasure of being under canopy around clouds like this or even better when the sun is going down? Any pics anyone?

i think canadian vfr rules say 1000 feet horizontally and 1 mile vertically from clouds. i assume the same applies to canopies.

that said, it is a lot of fun!
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Is there anything actually wrong with dropping next to big cloud formations like that. Or for that matter opening high next to them? (obviously you'd need to let everyone know thats what you're doing)

Nope.

As you say, high openings need to be planned in advance and checked with DZ/JM, but otherwise it's all good.

Really thermally active summer days with towering cumulus clouds are awesome for jumping.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Is there anything actually wrong with dropping next to big cloud formations like that. Or for that matter opening high next to them?

Nope. As you say, high openings need to be planned in advance and checked with DZ/JM, but otherwise it's all good.

Um, here in the U.S. the FARs state that you must be no closer than 1000' above, 2000' horizontally, or 500' below. So technically, you can't legally go swooping clouds.

Is there anything actually wrong with dropping next to big cloud formations like that. Or for that matter opening high next to them?

Nope. As you say, high openings need to be planned in advance and checked with DZ/JM, but otherwise it's all good.

Um, here in the U.S. the FARs state that you must be no closer than 1000' above, 2000' horizontally, or 500' below. So technically, you can't legally go swooping clouds.

I don't think Mr Cave, location Liverpool, UK, really cares very much about the FARs.;)

I don't think Mr Cave, location Liverpool, UK, really cares very much about the FARs.

I didn't suppose that he did.

But most readers wouldn't have bothered to notice that he was from the U.K., therefore a warning was in order to jumpers in the U.S., who might otherwise take that as bad advice for where they jump.

Do you have some problem with this clarification?

Just curious John, are you all about rules or common sense? Staying clear from clouds is common sense obviously but what is the reasoning for you pointing out the rules in that post?

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Just curious John, are you all about rules or common sense?

I'm in favor of common sense rules. And there are good reasons for the cloud clearance rules, even though we skydivers sometimes break them, either by accident or intent.

what is the reasoning for you pointing out the rules in that post?

Education, because some people here are advocating swooping clouds, which is against the rules in the U.S. Do you have a problem with skydivers being well-informed about what's legal? Do you want them to remain ignorant and do something which may endanger themselves and others in the air?

If I see friends shooting guns in the air, should I just let them have their fun, or should I caution them about the dangers and potential legal trouble from their activity?

Do you want to be safe and responsible, or unsafe and irresponsible?

Sheesh...

I understand that you are from the UK but why are you jumping all over John? You realize this is an internatioal forum right?

a few people gave their clarification of cloud swooping. Why are you all over John for stating the FARs? He clearly stated these were US FAR's?:S
He WAS answering the question form the original poster. (northcave)

northcave (from UK)said:
Is there anything actually wrong with dropping next to big cloud formations like that. Or for that matter opening high next to them? (obviously you'd need to let everyone know thats what you're doing)

King bunky (from canada) said

i think canadian vfr rules say 1000 feet horizontally and 1 mile vertically from clouds. i assume the same applies to canopies.

that said, it is a lot of fun!

Jakee (from UK) said:
Nope.

As you say, high openings need to be planned in advance and checked with DZ/JM, but otherwise it's all good.

Really thermally active summer days with towering cumulus clouds are awesome for jumping

John Rich (from US) said:
Um, here in the U.S. the FARs state that you must be no closer than 1000' above, 2000' horizontally, or 500' below. So technically, you can't legally go swooping clouds

My photos

My Videos

Hang on a minute, surely you have that backwards?

I would struggle to see the logic in demanding greater vertical seperation than horizontal.

I would struggle to see the logic in demanding greater vertical seperation than horizontal.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, not being a member of the CSPA council etc... but I am guessing it has something to do with most skydivers going faster vertically in freefall than they are travelling horizontally.

:PB|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, not being a member of the CSPA council etc... but I am guessing it has something to do with most skydivers going faster vertically in freefall than they are travelling horizontally.

:PB|

Re-read the original post, he was talking about VFR flight rules and assuming they would apply to canopies. There aren't many aircraft that go faster vertically than horizontally.

We've been dodging clouds for the last week here, and yes, they can be a pain in the ass, both legally and safety-wise. What are you to do?

There is a thread in the incidents about crw jumpers getting mixed up in high winds and thunderstorm activity. These things tend to suck you in.

Never try to make a pilot take you where they don't want to go.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone