ttoy

My friend decided not to jump with me :(

We are all friends. Get video and pics so you can show her how bad ass you are compared to her. As soon as she sees the big smile on your face she'll want to do it
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Get used to it, that happends all the time. You can go to work and get 25 people who all will sign up for a group outing and when the day comes to go you'll be lucky if 5 show up, but at least you'll get to hear some really good or lame reasons as to why they can't go.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

5 out of 25 is doing really good. out of about 100 people that have asked me about skydiving then said they were going to do it 4 have actually done it, still waiting for them to go thru aff like the said they were going to do.
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

She backed out on me this evening. >:(
So looks like I will be doing my first jump alone... well with a person strapped to my back.

Do the jump, bring back the video, then show it to your friend and tell her what a chickenshit she is. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

So looks like I will be doing my first jump alone... well with a person strapped to my back.

sounds like an oxymoron to me..

first jump "alone" with a TM
or
first jump "alone" with two AFF instructors

I have always thought that first jump 'alone' meant you stepped off the plane all by your lonesome - as in S/L or IAD.
No one around to save your ass except yourself.
Didn't matter how many friends were in the plane with you.

I think a different level of temerity is required to do a first jump 'all by yourself' with no one around to help you as opposed to going to the DZ all by yourself and doing a tandem or aff jump.

But anyway, go do the tandem jump - you really won't be alone.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

sounds like an oxymoron to me..

first jump "alone" with a TM
or
first jump "alone" with two AFF instructors

I have always thought that first jump 'alone' meant you stepped off the plane all by your lonesome - as in S/L or IAD.
No one around to save your ass except yourself.
Didn't matter how many friends were in the plane with you.

I think a different level of temerity is required to do a first jump 'all by yourself' with no one around to help you as opposed to going to the DZ all by yourself and doing a tandem or aff jump.

WOW , Jan....youre starting to sound like an old fart. ;)

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

WOW , Jan....youre starting to sound like an old fart. ;)

Hey, I have an IPod to 'trick' people into thinking I'm still in my 40's.
As soon as an Apache web server with mysql, php and local wireless network support can be set up on an IPhone, I'm gonna buy one.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

i think he meant alone, like hes going to the dz by himself and he's the only one of all his friends making a jump

enjoy!

I am pretty sure I 'got' that part of the post.

Let me rephrase the 'old-fart' view:
Going to make your first jump 'all by yourself' was not big deal many years ago. That was how it was normally done.
And it was an 'all by yourself' jump once you left the plane.

So someone today saying that their friend(s) won't come out to the DZ with them and watch or participate in their jump is kind of in the 'WTF-who cares' regime.

Sorry I don't have empathy for the people that need someone to 'watch their first jump' or do a first jump with them.
I think the folks that actually do become jumpers are the ones that don't need an audience and jump because they want to.
That was true 25 years ago and it is true today too.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

You are totally right which is why I am still going to make the dive even without her there. I am too excited not to jump and it's not like she would jump with me at the same time or anything. My family will be there though. I have a husband and 2 kiddos :)

I literally waited for years to start skydiving because I wanted to go with some friends who talked about doing it, but always backed off whenever I started talking more seriously about skydiving.

I'm glad I finally decided to go by myself, and I'm also glad I didn't intimidate them into doing something they probably didn't really want to do.

I did my FJC with a mate, but then I decided to continue - he decided he wanted a motor bike and license, LOL.

He sold the bike after about 18 months, but still hasn't made the commitment to come back jumping. Each to their own eh.

You'll enjoy it just as much without your buddy :)

Out of 10,000 feet of fall, always remember that the last half inch hurts the most — Captain Charles W. Purcell, 1932

WOW, I'm really sorry to hear you feel that way. I (still) have all of one tandem to my name and have tried to do my AFF Level 1 jump twice, but have missed out both times due to rain. I'm going to get there eventually. In the meantime, I can say unequivocally that having friends there who are being supportive really helps. Will I ever have your jump numbers and expertise? I don't know. But while I can appreciate what you are saying generally about jumping "alone," it also sounds a little hostile to the newbie who could use the encouragement of some friendly faces around. You may not have meant it in a hostile way, but that's not the kind of thing that would make me think your DZ is a friendly one. Maybe you're far enough removed from those first jumps that you've forgotten, but please don't sell it short when people would like their friends to be there. It's still going out of the door of a plane and you're still responsible for saving yourself in the end, even if you do have a couple of instructors along for the freefall. So, WTF--who cares? *I* get it.

Edited to add:

Sorry, I got distracted. I meant to tell the OP to enjoy the jump! It'll be great, and maybe your gf will become newly inspired to try it herself. If not, the DZ can just be YOUR playground (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, either).
TPM Sister #102

i think he meant alone, like hes going to the dz by himself and he's the only one of all his friends making a jump

enjoy!

I am pretty sure I 'got' that part of the post.

Let me rephrase the 'old-fart' view:
Going to make your first jump 'all by yourself' was not big deal many years ago. That was how it was normally done.
And it was an 'all by yourself' jump once you left the plane.

So someone today saying that their friend(s) won't come out to the DZ with them and watch or participate in their jump is kind of in the 'WTF-who cares' regime.

Sorry I don't have empathy for the people that need someone to 'watch their first jump' or do a first jump with them.
I think the folks that actually do become jumpers are the ones that don't need an audience and jump because they want to.
That was true 25 years ago and it is true today too.

Wow...I guess everyone can't be a fearless skygod like yourself... :|

I always wanted to skydive....just once. I was very scared and nervous and I probably would have kept on making excuses not to if someone had not bought me a tandem for my birthday and went out to the dropzone with me to make a jump.

Sometimes the support of friends make all the difference.

I have brought close to 30 tandems out to the DZ to make a jump...and a lot of them were nervous and glad that they had a familiar face in the plane with them. One of them said he would have never done it "by himself"...and now he has gone back and done 2 more tandems!!

I agree with Jewels...why don't we show some support? Don't you remember what your first jump was like? :)

No one does a first jump "alone." Even with SL or IAD, you still have a jumpmaster in the plane assisting the student with deploying the canopy, and a jumpmaster on the ground radioing the student down. Jan, why don't you take a break, and ease up on people a bit?

As far as the OP's comment, as other posters have accurately pointed out, if you pursue skydiving as an avocation, you can't expect your old friends to follow you. I did my first jump with three buddies. Two never jumped again, and the other did maybe 10 more jumps and quit. I stuck around for a bit longer. :)

Blue skies! :)
BTW, I told my TI that I wanted it to be an instructional tandem and not just a ride, so he gave me a LOT more information than the other tandem passengers were getting. If you think you'll be doing this again, you might consider asking your TI to go over what the jump will be like, showing you some of the gear (altimeter, etc.) . . . stuff you can apply going forward. I got a lot more out of it than the people who just rode the plane up and came back down again.

TPM Sister #102

I am too excited to let it stop me... I wish I could go today... so pretty out. This is all I can think about.

Now that is what a future skydiver sounds like.

Go for the jump and have a good time.

I hope you get hooked.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I am too excited to let it stop me... I wish I could go today... so pretty out. This is all I can think about.

Hey, TToy -

What Jan said is very true.

A friend of mine was the one who talked me into it. She was supposed to pick me up at 7:30 the morning of our first jump...and instead, she called at 7:15 to tell me she wasn't going.

83 jumps later on my part, and she still hasn't gone. But I've met a bunch of awesome people, had a lot of indescribably beautiful experiences, and discovered something I truly love doing...which obviously wouldn't be any different had she gone or not.

Hope you have a blast, and hope we'll cross paths sometime if/WHEN you decide to get your license. :)
Have a blast!
Signatures are the new black.