somethinelse

Landing Off DZ

there's this wheat field just right after the student landing area.. i swear, they must have put a magnet in there, coz its like the third time i'm landing in there.. >:(

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Last weekend, my 1st boogie jumping from a Twin Otter. On the drive to boogie me and my friends were talking about checking the spot before because it's a new DZ and let's be sure about it (how foolish of us). We were located in the middle of the plane. Light turn Red then Green then people started jumping and NOBODY absolutely NOBODY before us checked the spot. When it comes my turn I figured that everybody before me knew what they were doing and I see everybody behind me being anxious to jump so I give 6 sec separation and jump. During free-fall I look where is the landing area but I couldn't see it. I figured I'll spot it more easy once I'll be under canopy. Needless to say that I didn't make it back by far (4 min car drive). I've found a nice green spot to land and I've landed in a farmers yard 30 m away from a cow with a perfect upwind stand up landing. The cow give me a friendly look and went Moooooooooooooo. Luckily the Owner of the DZ (a very nice man I might say) was chasing people like me that landed out and was already there with his car.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

I figured that everybody before me knew what they were doing and I see everybody behind me being anxious to jump so I give 6 sec separation and jump.

That will learn ya :P. Out of curiousity, how did you come up with your six seconds of exit seperation?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

me and my friends were talking about checking the spot because it's a new DZ.
NOBODY before us checked the spot.
I figured that everybody before me knew what they were doing - so I give 6 sec separation and

Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Out of curiousity, how did you come up with your six seconds of exit seperation?

the 45 degree rule - how else?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't hyjack this thread to another spotting thread. There are many, many, many threads on this.

(How I get 6 seconds... I know the speed of jumprun from the pilot, I know my separation I want in feet, so I know how many seconds it takes to go X feet).:P

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't hyjack this thread to another spotting thread. There are many, many, many threads on this.

(How I get 6 seconds... I know the speed of jumprun from the pilot, I know my separation I want in feet, so I know how many seconds it takes to go X feet).:P

Hey hey hey!!! I know how YOU would come up with 6 seconds. :P No hijacking, I promise, but it is an important question with important lessons. :)
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I've asked before boarding I've been told 4-5 sec should be enough. I think the pilot didn't slow down the plane before the giving the door signal. Something about a big way exit. I've actually counted 6 sec on my fingers before jumping.

Was that bad?

Edit to add: I've opened @ 5000 ft just to have enough time to find the landing area. I was going back with the wind and still didn't make it back. MANTA 288 was the gear.

I've asked before boarding I've been told 4-5 sec should be enough. I think the pilot didn't slow down the plane before the giving the door signal. Something about a big way exit. I've actually counted 6 sec on my fingers before jumping.

Was that bad?

Edit to add: I've opened @ 5000 ft just to have enough time to find the landing area. I was going back with the wind and still didn't make it back. MANTA 288 was the gear.

Not bad at all.

The only thing I would add is that you should be more aware of the spot before you get to the door. It was your first Otter jump, so I know you were probably pretty anxious, and probably tripping on the coolness of the whole thing. Next time, as the plane is lining up on jump run take a look out the windows. You can (and should) do that no matter where you are in the exit order, or which side of the plane you are on. After some experience you will begin to recognize big landmarks, and most of your "spotting" will be completed before you reach the door. That gives you a big heads up as to how close you are to the actual spot, what the line of flight is, and how far from the DZ you will be.

Early spotting helps jumpers to make it back to the airport, and that's really the topic of this thread.

So, congrats on jumping the Otter, and on handling an off field landing so well.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I was going back with the wind and still didn't make it back. MANTA 288 was the gear.

What exactly do you mean by "I was going back with the wind"?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Even with the wind in my back I was still not able to make it.

What sort of wind? Strong, medium or light? and what canopy control inputs did you utilize to try and get back? Or did you just sit there in full flight?

There is no guarantee that anyone can get back from a long spot. But there are canopy control inputs that people should know about that will help them in the downwind scenario you speak of. With strong winds at your back it is often best to fly in brakes since it allows the canopy to stay aloft longer and allows the winds to push you more since you are exposed to them longer. In moderate winds it is toss up between brakes and rear risers, but in light winds it is best to fly your rears. In all cases ball up your body and try to create the least amount of drag.

But ... what must you decide by 1000 feet AGL? You must have already decided where you are going to land by the time you get to 1000 feet above the ground.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

A lot of things that I expected to be a certain way were totally different. With Cessna we do a lot of turns until the jump altitude. With TO I it was just one 180 degree turn and it climbs really fast. With Cessna the pilot slows down the plane on exit, this didn't happen with the TO. With Cessna we usually gear up (put to goggles and helmet on do a last gear check re-practice EP) around 10.000 feet and we exit at 11.000. 1k buffer it's almost 2 min with Cessna. With TO I give it 2k buffer so I started at 12k and the door was open before I finished my gear check. 2k climb went fast. I've checked the altitude was 14k and there was only 2 small groups (4-5 people maybe) before my turn. Everything went pretty fast for me and I kinda went with the flow. I do agree that it was not the brightest thing to do.:(

but ... well no butts :(.

The wind was like 10-15 km/h (6-9 mph, 5-7 knots). I did full flight :(. I did spend some time to find the landing area that was far away. It was full with plans B everywhere. Some of them even without power-lines. At 2k seeing that I will not make it I've started towards a plan B and kept in mind what direction should I walk to get back to DZ. Lucky I didn't need to walk.

I've made a full pattern over the plan B. Don't know if it was a good idea since it might confuse the other pilots in the air that might want to use the same spot. In the car nobody complained about that and the all the others landed close but not in my spot.

That is SO FUNNY! Almost EXACTLY like what happened with me, since two groups went out before me, and the coach with me just stepped out for a posed exit with me, and with everybody only taking enough time for seperation, I thought everything must be a ok, and didn't even check for a spot, but at that point... timing seemed to be- hurry up and get out alread, since it was the last bit of the jump run...

But from freefall, I couldn't make out anything familiar, so looked all around for something... ?!

Wow. I learned something big time. But even on the ride up- faster in a caravan big time than from cessna- ya know? It was hard to make out landmarks from the windows on the ride up- and really, I was trying, too!

:)
I guess we both got lucky and lived to tell & learn.

:)
But now I have a dilemma and maybe someone can bring some answers.
If you land out is it good idea to do a full pattern around your landing zone?
Other pilots might want to land in the same spot and while you are heading for the upwind playground they might think you choose another spot.

Any thoughts?

Edit: for grammar.

Ya, it ISN'T "lucky" per say at all.

Ya still gotta be SMART consider altitude, speed, winds, that you may or may not be able to see wind indicators for, and NO, sometimes you cannot do a typical block like approach to land either.

In my case, initially I was heading with the winds towards the dz but still looking towards it ahead of me and to the right... but THOUGHT I was gonna OVER SHOOT the DZ, so spiralled a couple of times, and beginning to PLAN to turn to the right but then I was at 1.5k flattening out but now the winds seemed to have picked up, and I knew I was coming down right where pretty quickly...

So!

Sometimes ya gotta think fast on yer feet and do the safest thing even tho its a deviation from the training you got as a student.

And when in doubt PLF... RIGHT?