Philly215

Dad trying to prevent me from skydiving as much as possible...

Well, my dad is one of the people who buy into the media portraying skydiving as insane and practically daring death and for people who have no will to live...

My money for sky diving was going to come from side money during football season. Each week, I usually make like 80$ a week selling football pools and then I'd figure 20$ of my own, and I get 5 jumps a week while only paying for one out of my pocket.

Now he threatens to cut my source to the bookie, who he knows, to keep me from getting $ from that...

Any of you guys know a good article on easing peoples anti-skydiving views and proving that it's dangerous but the sport is relatively safe if the jumper is too?

From what it sounds like, no amount of news stories about skydiving is going to change his mind. It might be best to just wait until you can fully fund it yourself a little more...that way it'll be your decision...

Even my parents who support me (they've come a LONG way) aren't really excited. They ask about jumps and everything but are still scared, and you can't blame them, esp. since i'm the youngest.

People who don't skydive will never truly understand the behind the scenes, the friendship and camaraderie that you develop and a TON of other things that you get from the sport. Each person is different in regards as to why they do this or what they get, but its an intangible quality of the sport that is only felt if you experience it first hand from more than just a tandem.
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Yeah your right.

I'm 18 soon so technically I am free to do what I want. But just the money from football pools would've made it a whole lot easier and affordable.

Thinking just go do the tandem without him knowing and toss him the video when I get home, show him I'm still standing after and it might lessen it? Ha

Does your dad pay any of your bills? If he's providing any of your financial support and doesn't want you to jump, listen to him and don't jump. Especially if you are going to school and he is helping pay for it - he won't take you defying him and jumping anyway as appreciating what he's doing for you, guaranteed.

Skydiving will still be there when you are supporting yourself. Your dad might not be. Don't risk lifelong animosity with family members for a sport - and skydiving is a sport that you don't even know if you are going to like yet.

btw, isn't selling football pools just a little bit illegal? Might not be something you want to openly discuss on an internet forum...

Thats awesome that your dad doesn't want you skydiving, but has no porblem with you associating with and doing business with bookies.

I'm sure he's using the same logic in approving of the bookies that he's using to disapprove of skydiving, so good luck working through that.

Really, if you think about it, maybe you shouldn't jump. You may end up getting a visit from a 'friend' of your dad's, and getting your knee caps relocated to the back of your legs.

Thats awesome that your dad doesn't want you skydiving, but has no porblem with you associating with and doing business with bookies.

I'm sure he's using the same logic in approving of the bookies that he's using to disapprove of skydiving, so good luck working through that.

Really, if you think about it, maybe you shouldn't jump. You may end up getting a visit from a 'friend' of your dad's, and getting your knee caps relocated to the back of your legs.

You make it sound like we might belong to a "certain italian subculture..." lol. In philly, football pools are a huge thing that's been around so long it's normal to everyone pretty much. He figures it's side money that's not getting out of hand, 5-20$'s/pool, no one gets nuts.

I think I might be getting him to give in though, because now he asked about going to watch at the dropzone of other people jumping, sound good?

If that was his suggestion, yeah why not...it'll give him a chance to see everything first hand. IMO, I would find an instructor (if you know of any that you're cool with) at the dz and have them talk to your parents about their concerns.

My parents did that and it definitely helped and your instructors kind of "go to bat for you" in a way. They won't persuade them to let you do it, but they will break it down and not bullshit them just because they're non-skydivers

----Hellfish #707----

If your parents are paying your bills ... you should try to respect your parents decisions. If you are paying your bills ... your parents should try to respect your decisions. It can be a safe sport or it can be a dangerous sport, it all depends on the decisions you make (or don't make). Stop asking if it is a risk and start learning what are the risks and how to avoid them. This will show your parents that you are attempting to be as safe as possible.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Yeah thats about right. Let him see a busy day at the DZ, and the people going up and coming down happy.

Have him talk to first timers at the DZ before and after they jump. Let him speak to an instructor of whatever.

I'm pretty sure that once he sees it's not Patrick Syawze yelling instructions at you in freefall, he may ease up a bit.

On the other hand, if you're a good earner for the bookie, maybe your dad gets a visit......

I've got money to the side to pay for the AFF if I indeed do go all the way with it and enough $ for my own gear down the road. I was saying at 20$ a jump, the 80$-140$ I make a week just from pools would be a good and easy way to pay for the jumps themself. 140 = 7 jumps for doing nothing but pools.
On top of that I take home 1400 from working a month, and college is free.

I've got money to the side to pay for the AFF if I indeed do go all the way with it and enough $ for my own gear down the road. I was saying at 20$ a jump, the 80$-140$ I make a week just from pools would be a good and easy way to pay for the jumps themself. 140 = 7 jumps for doing nothing but pools.

Wait wait wait....hold on there young grasshopper...

$140??? Your AFF is going to cost just a tad more than that.....unless you're getting an AMAZING deal on AFF.

AFF costs me about $1400. Is that way you meant?? Maybe I misunderstood??

----Hellfish #707----

thats what the $20 is for.

I think he saw the price of a fun ump and thought it was the price of every jump.

Young grasshopper:D, go look again.
The certification is quite a bit more, but so worth the money.

My photos

My Videos

Wait wait wait....hold on there young grasshopper...

$140??? Your AFF is going to cost just a tad more than that.....unless you're getting an AMAZING deal on AFF.

AFF costs me about $1400. Is that way you meant?? Maybe I misunderstood??

Yeah the AFF is 1595, I have money aside for that already.

I was saying if I go along with the AFF and proceed to jumping on my own and being licensed, jumps are 20$ here and that during the season pools would pay for the jumps. I was saying to the guy who said "5-20$ a pool? skydiving's an expensive sport", that 140 from pools = 7 fun jumps.

lol im only 18. unless theres someone who'll teach me how to pack who wants a case of beer for the teaching ha

Nobody cares how old you are when it comes to paying your beer fines. You'll have no trouble finding someone over 21 to hand your money to so they can go buy your case and put it in the dz fridge.

The only possible out is if you are a recovering alcoholic. And even then you'll be expected to bring a case of something for a first, even if it's a case of water.

btw, packing is an excellent way to make money. And it's legal, too.

Yeah your right.

I'm 18 soon so technically I am free to do what I want. But just the money from football pools would've made it a whole lot easier and affordable.

Thinking just go do the tandem without him knowing and toss him the video when I get home, show him I'm still standing after and it might lessen it? Ha

Well, it's usually better to not mention the subject prior and then throw down the video. In your case it would be a direct act of defiance and you could get a wide range of reactions, up to 'get OUT of my house.' Somewhat lower risk to do it for 6 months and then mention it. But if you get caught...

I am a bit amused by the acceptance of petty book making. Though harmless in my eyes, it can have legal as well as physical consequences. Of course, you're raising most of the money during the least jumpable part of the year (I'm assuming, I'm from California). And 18 yo's find a lot of ways to spend 140$ in easy cash.

I felt I had a lot of strings pulling on me while I still was assisted by my parents though colllege. The crazy shit started pretty soon after though - with a small motorcycle purchased right before graduation. Your best bet if to get him to sit out for an afternoon at the LZ and see all the 'normal' people survive the tandems. If you can get a grandma to go, even better.

lol im only 18. unless theres someone who'll teach me how to pack who wants a case of beer for the teaching ha

Nobody cares how old you are when it comes to paying your beer fines. You'll have no trouble finding someone over 21 to hand your money to so they can go buy your case and put it in the dz fridge.

The only possible out is if you are a recovering alcoholic. And even then you'll be expected to bring a case of something for a first, even if it's a case of water.

btw, packing is an excellent way to make money. And it's legal, too.

Yeah I've been reading that but I don't wanna go and look like im ahead of myself, not even legal to jump just yet. Keep thinkin their gonna be like "Wtf, this kid doesn't even know what he's in for and he's trying to learn to pack?"