jeffcadieux

Newbie on Sabre 2 150 at 1.2?

I'm a new jumper, just off of A license, and my instructor is recommending a Sabre 2 150 for my first canopy. My weight without gear is about 160, putting my exit weight at roughly 180, right? This would make my wing loading 1.2. The man has almost 30 years of experience, and is the DZ SO, so I'm inclined to listen. But then I'm reading all of the advice on dropzone.com, and realizing that this maybe isn't the smartest move. My instructor has promised to keep me on the radio for my jumps, and teach me to fly the canopy well. Also, the DZ is huge and wide-open, no obstacles except for the clubhouse. Does this make a difference in anybody's mind?

I don't know the square footage of the student chute, but we all know that they are big. I suppose the radio is to get me used to the timing of the flare on the smaller canopy? I'm being told from my instructor that I should listen to him, since he is my instructor.

I see a lot of the forums saying that 1.0 is good for a newbie, but other people are saying they started at 1.1, or 1.2, all the way to 1.25.

Are there other instructors at your DZ? Do they agree with him?

You will find a list of people who started at a WL similar to that who were fine and probally a list of people who started around there who got hurt. Its just how it is.

Typically speaking, its better to take the advice of your local instructor over that of people on DZ.com who have no clue about you or your situation.

Though it is clear that it is not wise to go from a large canopy to a much smaller one all in one large step. You have to work it down over time. Ideally skills are developed on a larger canopy before progressing to a smaller one.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

My first canopy was the smallest student one I flew on (230). My instructor (also the S&TA) also advised this size at least till I have 50+ on my own and then consider moving to a 190 - 210 range for the next 100 or so jumps. My exit weight is about 190.

my .02

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Check your logbook. Your JM should have noted it. It doesn't sound like your instructor is doing his job. Before you even finish AFF you should probably have an idea what size parachute you are jumping. Do know what size and make your reserve is?

Ok, I just spoke to my instructor on the phone, and he backs his suggestion of a 150, but says that the final decision is mine. Here are all of the facts that I can give, based on that discussion.

The student mains were 270's, made of F-111.

It has been a while since my last jump (months).

The dropzone is big and open, but has a small plane (5 jumpers), so there is little chance of collisions if I stay alert.

I will be living at the DZ for several weeks, hopefully doing 50-60 jumps.

I will be on radio, being coached to fly the canopy, including practice of canopy techniques and flare timing. He seems to love taking the time to train new jumpers to fly a canopy proficiently, and says he does this all the time. He acknowledges that it will be fast and scary, but says I'll be well-coached.

Apparently, the harness that I've bought will accommodate a 170 main (putting my wingloading at 1.05) if that's what I want to do.

your instructors reccomendation is a bit too agressive, the difference between 1.0-1, and 1.2-1 wingloadings is more than the numbers make it seem. small mistakes can create big problems quickly, would you rather brush yourself off after making a mistake or would you rather contemplate it from the hospital bed......
You say the dz is wide open with no obsticles, what about the clubhouse, auto's, other jumpers, and people on the ground, they are obsticles too. What happens if you get a really bad spot from the aircraft and have to land in some less than optimum area.....
If everything goes right, yes you could probably get away with this wingloading, Its your decision, the dzo has already given his blessing, but in my opinion its not a good one...... you can learn tons from a canopy at a 1-1 wingloading or less, and they are far less intimidating.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

when I decided on a 170, it was explained to me like this. "a 170 is a good canopy, it is fast enough to be able to get a good amount of performance out of, but forgiving enough that you should be able to walk away from most botched landings w/ nothing more than a few scrapes. When you start getting in to things like 150's, you're talking about broken bones"

It is my opinion, that you do not really go anywhere with learning to flare, when you have someonen telling yoyu when to do it on every jump...

I dunno if this is a concern, but w/ that wingloading, you're probably not going to be able to jumpm at many DZ's for awhile due to lack of jumps

I think your progression under canopy will be slowed dramatically (if you buy a 150 rather than a 170) because, chances are, you'll be trying too worried about keeping yourself from smacking the ground, to really think about getting anything out of your canopy

believe me, a 170 is more than enough to have fun on, I'm having tons of fun flying mine, when you want more speed, just start getting in to using risers and HP landings. I think people that downsize too quickly, downsize because they're compensating for lack of skill in getting everything they can out of their canopy.

Early on in your progression, you WILL have a couple of lesson-learning landings. make it under something more forgiving.

Besides, if you pick up a 170, you'll have no probs selling it off, every student wants a 170

BE THE BUDDHA!

Thanks all for the advice, please keep it coming. I admit that I'm concerned about the recommendation of the 150, which is why I made the initial post.

I have been doing my own research, I just finished reading every post in the incident forum where the term "wingloading" was mentioned. It seems that most of them are people flying ellipticals at obscenely low experience levels, etc. There aren't many incidents posted that are jumpers of my experience and proposed wingloading, but those seem to be caused by low turns.

Am I more likely to be caught doing something dumb like a low turn if I have a smaller canopy?

Oh, I should point out that I do understand what several of you have mentioned about the small mistakes becoming larger and more painful on a smaller canopy.

I'm becoming convinced that this isn't such a good idea for me, especially since I will not be staying current. I only plan to jump during one or two time periods a year, on my vacations. I don't have a home DZ.

Also, the DZ is huge and wide-open, no obstacles except for the clubhouse.

What about the ground? ;) The rig i just bought has a 150 in it and my DZO wont let me jump it although he says im a good canopy pilot. Doesnt worry me, it's going in the cupboard for 100 jumps while i use a 170. :)

Your instructors that have seen you jump and know you can give you the best advice about what's right for you. But I think the best advice is that you can always go bigger. My instructors recommended a zero-p 135 for my first canopy. I went with an F-111 150 (loaded at about 0.87 or so). I was a little scared I had bought something too similar to my student canopies (PD-230s) and I'd get bored of it right away. Turned out to be a great first canopy. MUCH faster and more agile than my student canopies, but still not overwelmingly fast. I went to a Sabre2 135 about a hundred jumps later (still loaded a little under 1.1), but I'm really glad I didn't go so small (and fast) right away. It just would have been too big a change. Much much faster descent rate, much faster approach speed, and totally different flare. I definitely needed an in-between canopy.

If your container will hold a 170, go for it. Find a used one. If you get bored of it after a while, move down to a 150.

By the way, I never did get bored of my 150. It was plenty of fun and I woulda kept jumping it if I hadn't demoed a sabre2 at a boogie. Actually I was demoing a javelin that happened to have a sabre2 150 in it. During the opening, I was thinking "oh, so that's what a snivel is..." and then the flare sold me on it.

Dave

>and my instructor is recommending a Sabre 2 150 for my first canopy.

A few comments:

1. If you are trained from the get-go on HP canopies this is less risky. Unfortunately, you now have all the bad habits from the student canopies and none of the new habits for heavily loaded wings. This means your risk will be significant.

2. If he's really going to spend ten jumps with you on radio, that's good. The purpose of the radio (in my mind) is not so much that he's going to tell you when to flare but that he's going to watch you land and critique it. That's the important part. At 1.2 you will plane out, and there's no way he can talk fast enough to talk you through a planeout.

3. You'll probably learn as much on a 210-170-150 progression, and take less of a risk. Perhaps ordering a Sabre2 150 and then borrowing a 210 for a month or so, then a 170 for a few months, might be the ticket.

>>I have been doing my own research, I just finished reading every post in the incident forum where the term "wingloading" was mentioned. It seems that most of them are people flying ellipticals at obscenely low experience levels, etc. There aren't many incidents posted that are jumpers of my experience and proposed wingloading, but those seem to be caused by low turns<<

remember a Sabre2 canopy is tailered elipitical, although not fully elipt.

remember low turns do not have to be intentional, a low level jumper, landing off in an uncharted field can lead to unseen obsticals, and low altitude decisions.

......A jumper with 19 jumps, jumping a ZP canopy loaded at 1.2 for the first time and not current.

I'd like to jump in here from another newbie perspective as well. I fly a Strong ZPO which is by no means a popular mainstream canopy.

It is a 190, and when I started flying it, I weighed in at 204.

Nevertheless, even after losing considerable weight, now down to 186 pounds, this thing still brings me in like a rocket.

I've flown next to a buddy on a Sabre2 170 and were neck and neck all the way...

The canopy performs incredibly well, front riser turns, dives, fabulous toggle response and straight in approaches that take some fairly good timing to level out and step off of.

That said, with a week or two off without jumping, I find it challenging in low wind situations to keep up with when coming in to land.

I'm moving damn strong, and I've even felt the potential exists to break something even with the lower wing loading.

At this point I've only got 63 jumps in, but I can see this canopy challenging me for at least a couple hundred more jumps in the future.

Don't be in any hurry to move up that quickly, all it's going to do is take you out of the sport with a strong injury, where you'll have to start all over again in your progression.

No hurries, we got all the time in the world.

peace, blue skies, and most importantly, SAFE LANDINGS,

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...

AND BEFORE ANYONE FREAKS B|

All the reference to FRONT RISER GAMES

Are above my hard deck.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm being an idiot and attempting this shit upon approach.

I fly everything straight in like I should, no games, just land it.

(of course, a few hundred/thou more jumps, and canopy training, etc... well, then that'll be different :P)
It's a gas, gas, gas...

by "tailered elliptical" you mean tapered, right?

fully elliptical and semi-elliptical (unless I'm mistaken, please correct me if I'm wrong) are quite different from tapered, which is what the sabre2 is.

anywho,

Jeff

Am I more likely to be caught doing something dumb like a low turn if I have a smaller canopy?

It's not whether or not you're more likely to be caught "doing something dumb like a low turn" close to the ground. IF you're going to whip your toggles close to the ground and freak out when something happens, you're going to do it regardless of the canopy (unless you're super nervous about smaller canopies over your head and it adds more stress to you) The difference is that (for instance) whipping the toggle down on a 220 and a 150 produce drastically different effects on the system.

the smaller you get, the more touchy the canopy, the more touchy the canopy (when combined with an inexperienced OR experienced jumper's freak out), the more you pay for your mistake if you don't know how to get out of it.

I just saw your thing about how often you plan on jumping. I put a little under 100 jumps on my 170 (have been jumping it since jump 14) in a 4 1/2 month period and I"m still loving it, the with jumping as little as you say you're going to, you will definately have fun with the canopy for awhile. the only guys i see complaining about their canopy being too big with less than 150 jumps that ar ejumping a 170 are those I see comming in straight-in every time, that obviously don't know anything about canopy flight.

Edit to add: When I say "the smaller the canopy, the more touchY" I'm talking specifically for YOU and your weight, jumping, obviously everything changes when you start talking about different weights.

BE THE BUDDHA!

There's something else which has been mentioned that I need to consider, especially since I don't really have a "home" DZ. Who has some idea of how many dropzones will or will not allow me to jump at 1.2 with under 100 jumps? Any instructors or JMs want to inform me of their personal/DZ's rule?

Switching from 230 to 150 is definitely bad idea. I'd recommend to jump a 190 and 170 for a while. If your W/L under a 150 is 1.2, then under a 170 it will be ~1.0. Good point to start from! Buy your rig and borrow a 170 from somebody for hundred jumps.

I fully Agree with this.

I started of on a 280 Manta (de-tuned student canopy), dropped via a Fury (220?), PD 190 to Sabre 170 (in approx 90 jumps). ALL instructors & the local rigger etc. reccomend a similar staged downsizing (I am happy to stay at 170 but others going smaller would have then dropped to 150/135ish after more than 100 jumps or so).

Going from 230 to 150 is like passing your driving test in a Nissan Micra then driving home (at top speed) in a Porsche, not recommended! At 20 jumps or so it's almost suicidal. Our CCI would NOT allow you to jump it unless you had over 100 jumps & he still would be unhappy if you had not done a number of jumps on something inbetween such as a PD or Sabre of 190/170 sqft. I would also think that he would have a few words with any instructor giving advise like this.

Get out, Land on a green bit. If you get the pull somewhere in between it would help.

I'm being told from my instructor that I should listen to him, since he is my instructor.

These look like potential famous last words to me...

I'm actually in the same position now- looking for my first rig, that is.... although I've decided exactly what canopy I'm going to get- a Sabre 170- now I just have to wait for the right one to appear on the classifieds page. (the loading should be about 1:1 that way)

A 150 might be perfectly fine, but you have to consider that you will be stacking the odds aginst yourself that way. Remember when Murphy likes to show up...

>>There's something else which has been mentioned that I need to consider, especially since I don't really have a "home" DZ. Who has some idea of how many dropzones will or will not allow me to jump at 1.2 with under 100 jumps? Any instructors or JMs want to inform me of their personal/DZ's rule?<<<

Well, your instructor will let you jump the 150, when you make thoes 50-60 jumps this season and leave you will have the # (79-89) to probably jump elsewhere, but I cant speak for everyone.

also, have you considered you may not be the best packer, or the most knowledgable. Do another search looking for hard opening with Sabre.

make your first jump an student gear, or someones rig that has a bigger canopy to re gain currency in the sport. good luck, :)