tafarezz

PLF on video

I search the forum archive about PLF and did not find any video of it... As a complete whuffo wanted to start AFF next spring, I'm quite curious how an PLF look like. I tried to imagine through the descriptions found on the forum, but it would help a lot to see a real one... Any idea where I can find one? Thanks !!

Clicky

It's drawings, not video, but should help if you need the visuals...

Also, I can't speak for what training you will receive from your instructors, but I was taught to PLF in my FJC, and had to demonstrate it again when I went through my refresher training...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I search the forum archive about PLF and did not find any video of it

Video anyone??? This is a good idea... I know the written text and pictures convey the concept, but until you see it as a fluid motion, it just does not click... My paragliding instructors a few years ago taught me to do a PLF off a swing set into gravel - and until I saw them do it once, it seemed impossible from the pics in the manuals...

I for one would also be interested to watch a few other people do it with different ground speeds and headings to fine tune my skills.

Exactly. All those illustrations show a slow horizontal speed PLF when you landing speed is mostly vertical like when landing a round parachute.

But what a 20-30mph horizontal speed PLF should look like? You can't smoothly roll from the balls of your feet to thighs.

Anyone?

But what a 20-30mph horizontal speed PLF should look like? You can't smoothly roll from the balls of your feet to thighs.

This has come up in a couple of threads recently, general feeling is that a PLF is for high rate of descent landings. For high horizontal speed landings (like a honking downwinder) without much vertical speed its best to try and slide instead of roll.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Video anyone??? This is a good idea... I know the written text and pictures convey the concept, but until you see it as a fluid motion, it just does not click...

exactly my point. I already saw some drawings, but I just don't catch the move. I know I'll be trained to PLF during my aff course, but I'm just curious.

Again, please doublecheck any information you get with your instructor!!!!

Feet and knees together, arms and elbows in during the flare.

Your feet / legs are going to point slightly across your direction of flight, as in, off to one side or the other. Please notice I said SLIGHTLY!!!

As you land, you will take the initial shock in your tensed legs. Your knees will move in the direction opposite of the way your toes are pointed. (Watch a woman sit down with her legs tucked up under her - same sort of move)

You will continue down, with the ground contacting your leg, and roll across to the other side.

Feet
Calf
Thigh
Hip
Shoulders

Read this as you look at the drawings in the other post I made and it may clear it up.

Again, PLEASE VERIFY ALL INFORMATION WITH YOUR INSTRUCTORS!!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I went through the PLF in the AFF training, but I already knew how to do it from watching war movies and playing computer games.
I think they show it pretty clearly in the first episode of Band of Brothers, but don't worry about it - they'll go through it in your AFF training.

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1855

Dunno if the PLF was on purpose, but it sure looks like this one woulda been BAD if he had tried to land on one foot or something.

Doesn't look like a PLF to me.
Just one luck Mother*ucker instead. :o

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com