Unstable

You know you're a Midwest Skydiver if....

Shaun I'm confused. So does the green light always mean go? Just because they've got GPS in the big planes doesn't make the spot right or does it?

Plus what's wrong with asking for a go around if you are in the front of the plane and get a bad spot?

PS: Happy belated birthday.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Getting out of the plane at 3500' doesn't make you nervous

It always suprised me to hear turbine babies sound upset at that idea. Comeon - just pull off the step!! :)

I would pull off the step at 2000' but at 3500', I'm going tracking! :)
You know you're a Midwest Skydiver if ... you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt and everyone else is shivering.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Shaun I'm confused. So does the green light always mean go? Just because they've got GPS in the big planes doesn't make the spot right or does it?

I guess you had to be there man - I think I should have phrased it better too - It's just basic spotting skills. Your right, don't get out at a bad spot - but you need to take into consideration the rest of the load...
=========Shaun ==========

I guess you had to be there man - I think I should have phrased it better too - It's just basic spotting skills. Your right, don't get out at a bad spot - but you need to take into consideration the rest of the load...

It was pretty bad on Monday. I got to walk the entire airport (this means clear the fence, walk up the dirt path, to the gravel lane, to the feeder pave, to the end of the service way to the end of the long runway/taxiway to the other corner of the airport - in retrospect it would have been better to land short of the security fence and likely some nice people would have given a ride). Fortunately, the golf cart arrived once I got to the camping area :S. We were 3rd out, the back of the plane was even farther out. However, that just meant we stopped completely for the day and packed up to go.

2 - SDAZ don't usually accept a request for go around - there's reasons for it.

3 - But a downwind jumprun is just plain stupid on days like that. the first group waited 20 seconds after the light went on. And the (2nd out) 3 way in front of us took about 20 seconds too to get into, and then Fail to launch their tube. In essence, the first group got out about where the LAST group should have.

I have no issue with those that know how to spot an Otter doing it. I do have issues with those that only know how to spot a Cessna, doing it for a large plane on a zero wind day with a bad jump run direction.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Must be neither of you were on Otter 1 on Sunday. We were hosed right from the start all but one guy landed off but, hey what would CF be without an off landing. Also did you guys seem to notice the green light comming on way to soon. Seemed like almost all the loads I was on were a little short, maybe it was just me.

Shouldn't complain SDAZ's piolots do a great job and I had a blast. can't wait untill next year.

1. You order all your jumpsuits a little bigger, to allow for all the extra clothes.

2. You wear a full-faced helmet, not for protection....but so that your lips don't freeze to your teeth.

3. You've used a cowpattie as a spotting reference.

4. You've dodged a pi**ed-off bull, to retrieve your freebag.

5. No matter which direction you look, it all looks the same.

6. You smell something nasty at 10,000 feet, on the ride to altitude but you don't know if someone farted...or if it's just the field below you.

7. You fear jumping during hunting season.

8. The DZO drives a pickup truck, with a wooden flatbed on back and is the chief of the local "Five-Oh" (fire police).

9. The dz is about 15 miles away, as the crow flies but it still takes an hour to get there.

10. It's a fifteen minute ride to altitude but the wind speed and direction changes 7 times, between takeoff and the time you land.

11. You have 2 primary concerns, during an off-field landing.....snakes and coyotes!

12. Every car in the dz parking lot has "deer dents".

13. Every time someone mentions "thermals", you think they're talking about long underwear.

14. You've had a near miss, with a turkey buzzard.

15. You know what a turkey buzzard is.

16. 60% of your training jumps, ended up being cross-country.

17. You keep a compass, matches and money in the pocket of your flightsuit....just in case.

18. Half of the season, 60% of the people at the dz smell like wood smoke.

19. There's a heavily used ATV trail to the dz.

20. You keep a coat and a kite in the trunk, all summer.

HA!!! Were you on Skyvan 6 (I was on that one- second group out) or Otter 7? Both got totally hosed due to the first group out disagreeing with the spot.

We were on a skyvan (I don't recall the load number). The 2nd group out took way too long - I counted to 20 slowly after the first group out before the 2nd exited. They seriously added to the hosing that the first group did. Were you on a 3 way tube attempt that broke up on exit?

Edit: no biggie, it happens every year

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Also did you guys seem to notice the green light comming on way to soon.

Downwind jumprun, I think. Means you get a ton of throw. So it's not as short as you think.

Normally they do spot short at this boogie - even for an Otter. But that's because they don't account for good uppers. Not on the last day though. They did fine. - it was a good time.

Bill can you tell me some of the reasons for it? I've never been on a plane (Elsinore, Perris, Z-Hills, Skydive Dallas) where a go around wasn't given if requested.

Just curious that's all.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Bill can you tell me some of the reasons for it? I've never been on a plane (Elsinore, Perris, Z-Hills, Skydive Dallas) where a go around wasn't given if requested.

Just curious that's all.

I'm probably wrong, then. It's what I've heard, not experienced. But with 4 planes being run (or more with the specialty craft) I'd discourage go arounds.

We were on a skyvan (I don't recall the load number). The 2nd group out took way too long - I counted to 20 slowly after the first group out before the 2nd exited. They seriously added to the hosing that the first group did. Were you on a 3 way tube attempt that broke up on exit?

I think you were on the Van before or After me. I was the seond group out doing a 3 or 4-way belly - 3 groups went then the pilot hit red and did a go around. what was funny was how all the loads for monday afternoon were named "Green Means go - Jackass", "Go On Green- Fucker" or something of the sorts.
=========Shaun ==========