hackish

Brian Germain's Book: Canopy and its Pilot

This weekend past I went on a nice long thanksgiving trip (Canadian Thanksgiving). During the 5h car ride I finished reading the Canopy and its Pilot.

I really enjoyed the first half for its ease of reading, good technical content and humour.

The second half was a bit puzzling. In fact I wondered if it was written by the same person. I had a lot of trouble following what was written. My better half is presently working on her PhD in Clinical Psychology so I asked her a lot of questions and she strongly disagreed with a lot of points written. She often said things like "that's not really true - maybe a higher percentage but you can't just state something like that as fact."

Maybe it's just the science oriented part of me wanting something more technical rather than a really dumbed down psychology discussion without any references. I have no psychology education so I'm naturally at a disadvantage here. One comment made was "it sounds like he's trying to make up psychology buzz words"

I'd like to write an article about the physiology and psychology of our adrenaline rush but being so uneducated in that domain it will take a lot of reading and research on my part. I had hoped to get a solid grounding from reading those chapters.

I plan to re-read the whole psychology part again to see if I can better understand it. I'm wondering if any others more educated than myself have read this and what their evaluations were.

I also don't want to take away from the excellent material on canopy control but I am curious if I'm the only one who had trouble with the second half.

-Michael

My better half is presently working on her PhD in Clinical Psychology so I asked her a lot of questions and she strongly disagreed with a lot of points written. She often said things like "that's not really true - maybe a higher percentage but you can't just state something like that as fact."

One comment made was "it sounds like he's trying to make up psychology buzz words"

Well, given that Brian is _already_ a psychologist, and has already written a book on the psychology of skydiving I somewhat doubt he's "trying to make up psychology buzz words."
I had no trouble reading the second half of the book, nor did I have issues reading "Transcending Fear." I have no psychology background other than my better half being an MSW.
But I'm kinda dumb, so maybe I don't know what I really read.:D

I'd like to write an article about the physiology and psychology of our adrenaline rush

-Michael

Speaking of buzz words or phrases, I'd say the whole "adrenaline rush" thing is overblown.

Adrenaline makes me feel like shit.

If jumping still gave me a noticeable surge of adrenaline, I wouldn't be doing it any more because its a shitty feeling, not a good one.
__

My mighty steed

I thought the book was great, especially the second half. I have also read "Transcending Fear", which I highly recommend. Brian is the foremost authority on the psychology of fear. The military is one of his biggest, if not the biggest client. The guy knows his shit...
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting,
".... holy crap....what a ride!"

I've never felt the adrenaline. But then again I'm naturally hyper (mild ADD) so maybe that's why I can't feel it.
I've felt the adrenaline effect (or maybe some other substance produced during the jump) only when I've broken me ankle. No pain. I've put my ankle back right away and still no pain. Half hour later :S

How does adrenaline feel?

Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Thirty nine jumps, 184 posts? Seriously? A lot of people have benefitted from Brian's advice, and interest in the sport.

Have bought a couple old Jedeis, and he gave me invaluable advice when I asked. (FOR FREE). Like all good teachers, I think he gets more from giving.

Maybe think twice before chastising someone with as much experience, and knowhow as Brian, especially on an international forum.

I've read that book 3 times, and each time learned something new out of it as I was at a different place in my jumping each time. I plan to continue to read it once a year. I also took his canopy course this year, and learned so much from him. Brian made me a better skydiver... not just with the logistics of canopy flight, but helped me gain the confidence that I lacked in myself.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Is the second half of "The Canopy and its Pilot" much like Transcending Fear? TF helped me through so much, and I've learned so many things from Germain, I cannot thank him enough.
I keep meaning to buy the Canopy book.

Similar writing style, different subjective approach.
IMO, *everyone* should be force-fed "The Parachute and its Pilot" at some point sub 100 jumps. I have two copies, one in my bathroom for the relaxed reading moments, and the other in my locker at the DZ. I refer to both often.

thats what I figured, I'm sure its chocked full of valuable information. I took his canopy control course as a mere student, and I learned valuable information from him, somethings that helped me get to where I am today. Without Brian I probably would not be jumping anymore. I want to pick up the Canopy book so I can recall many of the things that were over my head at the time of the class. Its just finding the time to read it during this busy semester. :S

Thirty nine jumps, 184 posts? Seriously? A lot of people have benefitted from Brian's advice, and interest in the sport.

Have bought a couple old Jedeis, and he gave me invaluable advice when I asked. (FOR FREE). Like all good teachers, I think he gets more from giving.

Maybe think twice before chastising someone with as much experience, and knowhow as Brian, especially on an international forum.

The jump to post ratio comes from working hard to educate myself on the subject. Part of this education is challenging what you're told and what you read. I really enjoyed the first half of the book and learned a lot. I didn't get the point of the second half and am hoping someone else with expertise on this subject can shed understanding.

I don't have any psychology education and I'm interested to know if the details are just severely watered down or so specific to skydiving that they are not relevant in other areas of psychology. My better half certainly had her criticism but she is merely a PhD student not an experienced skydiver and her area of research is in insect behaviour, not stress.

This post is about understanding what that section is really about - not chastising anyone as I definitely don't have the background or intention to do so. The second part of the book is written very differently from the first and was very hard for me to follow - that's all.

-Michael

I have an advanced degree in Psychology and over 500 skydives. The books and the canopy course are first rate to me.

Get more jumps in and revisit the book and your thread then. Don't overintellectualize your experiences now. Focus on DOING them. (psychology in action!)

There are a few threads on dz.com about writing papers on adrenaline rush and other body/mind issues relating to our sport, do a search. Other related topics I have enjoyed relate to visualization in RW, and the book Mental Training for Skydiving and Life by John Derosalia.

yours in safe skydiving,
marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Did Brian write a new book?

Sorry, just my grumpy and smart ass way of pointing out that the book is actually titled The Parachute and Its Pilot.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

i am not that experienced in skydiving. but the parachute and its pilot was the best ever addition to my skydiving education i could have had, and transcending fear is even better - that book changed my perspective and made me a better jumper by alot.

and i agree: brian germain seems (over email/internet at least) to be one of the best kinds of people, and really committed to just giving back to others and making skydiving better for everyone.
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

Get Brian's book "Transcending Fear". It speaks to the psychology of fear, the physical reactions, and how to deal with it. It is not skydiving focused, though it has a few plainly spoken skydiving anecdotes. My wuffo wifey even enjoyed it as she was starting a new highly stressful job that had her scared.

I got it after taking Brian's canopy course. It helped me with some of the anxiety I still get every once and a while, climbing to altitude, or trying a new challenging jump.

My better half is presently working on her PhD in Clinical Psychology so I asked her a lot of questions and she strongly disagreed with a lot of points written. She often said things like "that's not really true - maybe a higher percentage but you can't just state something like that as fact."

Brian has a degree in psychology and a Masters in Contemplative Psychotherapy. The last third of The Parachute And Its Pilot is written for skydivers, not as an academic paper. Therefore it's missing citations, rigorous peer review, and professional sub-editing. It's still the best introduction to the psychology of skydiving that I've come across.

Transcending Fear is, again, not a peer-reviewed research paper. It's aimed at a mass-market audience. However, the website has a bibliography.

Maybe it's just the science oriented part of me wanting something more technical rather than a really dumbed down psychology discussion without any references. I have no psychology education so I'm naturally at a disadvantage here. One comment made was "it sounds like he's trying to make up psychology buzz words"

If you're going to abuse the book for not being technical enough, you should at least get the title correct.

I plan to re-read the whole psychology part again to see if I can better understand it. I'm wondering if any others more educated than myself have read this and what their evaluations were.

Look into yourself rather than out at the book. What were you expecting from the book? Who is it written for?

Well, given that Brian is _already_ a psychologist...

Are you sure about that?

- David

From "Transcending Fear" book description: As a professional skydiver, test pilot and psychologist, Brian Germain offers a unique personalized perspective on the phenomenon of fear. Reflecting on his many intense experiences with fear, Brian sorts through the most current psychology research on fear, and presents the ways to de-escalate the emotional response in provocative situations.

From "Transcending Fear" book description: As a professional skydiver, test pilot and psychologist, Brian Germain offers a unique personalized perspective on the phenomenon of fear. Reflecting on his many intense experiences with fear, Brian sorts through the most current psychology research on fear, and presents the ways to de-escalate the emotional response in provocative situations.

Thanks for the clarification. The info that I had was from transcendingfear.com. It must be out of date.

- David

Educational Background:
B.A. Psychology, University of Vermont,
M. A. Contemplative Psych, Naropa University

The contrast between the two parts was that the first part was very technical and technically accurate and complete. This is what I appreciated most about reading the book. The second part seemed so different one could almost believe it was written by a different author.

Sorry about getting the title wrong. I read what was between the covers more than what was on the cover.

As for the psychologist thing I again asked the opinions of the lady more in the "know". She said that it is a very grey area because someone can legitimately call themselves a "therapist" without any training. Someone may also call themselves a psychologist with only a Masters degree. To be a clinical psychologist or to put the letters after one's name requires them to be a PhD with the appropriate requirements satisfied, for example she has to do a year of supervised practice similar to a lawyer as they article. This is again specific to the country/province/state's requirements.

Alas, the author's resume has little to do with the purpose of this discussion. I was unsure if the section of the book was intentionally watered down or just the author's personal feelings applied to his skydiving experience. Without any formal training I wasn't sure where it fit into things. I think bob.dino says it best that it is not a research oriented paper and not subject to peer review.

I may order "Transcending Fear" and give it a read through as many have recommended it.

-Michael

The contrast between the two parts was that the first part was very technical and technically accurate and complete. This is what I appreciated most about reading the book. The second part seemed so different one could almost believe it was written by a different author.

The information about parachutes is quantifiable. Hence a lot of numbers, math, and sensibilities that can be measured.
Psychology cannot be specifically measured; it is at best a very educated guess made on baselines established in a unique environment.

My better half is presently working on her PhD in Clinical Psychology

her area of research is in insect behaviour

Usually clinical psych research is not on insects, but on people. ?????

So many straight lines. So little time.

I second that thought!!!;)

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton