JoeJ

Question to skydivers from Joe Jennings

But I think I may have an idea that caught me off guard when I joined the sport. Get people to add what they do for a living. When I found out what the jumpers did, I was shocked to see how broad it was. I think this would benefit the video/posts because if people can relate, it will hit closer to home. It's to show people that we're not psycho skatboarders, and motocross experts, or crazy extreme people, most of us hold a 9-5 and this is our escape.

I know lawyers, doctors, dentists, nurses, military members, police officers, auto mechanics, IT guys, pilots etc... It shows that everyone and anyone can be a skydiver.

Hope that helps.

This is an aspect that appeals to me as well, although Lippy's story resonates a little more overall. Maybe you could even do a short commerical spot like:

Hi, My name is Joe. I work in media and I'm an alco...uhh....a skydiver.

Hi, my name is Jane. I teach 1st grade and I'm an alco...uhh...a skydiver too.

Hi, my name is David. I'm a mechanical engineer for Lockeed and I'm an alco...uhh...a skydiver too.

Hi, my name is Mary. I perform open heart surgery and I'm an alco...uhhh...I jump out of airplanes on the weekend.

Etc....

Just a thought.

Heey, my name is Wesly and i'm from Belgium. You can read my introduction on the forums if you want to know how i got addicted to skydiving :)

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2962129;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

A few short answers:

[B]What drew you to the sport in the first place?[/B]
Wanted to fly like the birds, be free!

[B]What kept you in the sport?[/B]
If you go skydiving, every problem you might have at home, at work,... it just slips out of your mind. It sends your mind free, its all about freedom! Other things are that it is soooo FUN! Just jump all day, have fun in the air, have fun and laughs at the DZ. You get to know new people, even from other country's! At the end off the day most of the jumpers stay and talk, laugh and DRINK with each other :p

[B]Has skydiving changed other areas of your life?[/B]
Yes! Before i did skydiving my life style was all about going out. Here in Belgium you have clubs that open at 11PM and close the next day at 11AM ... In the weekends i was up all night partying! I don't regret it because it was fun, but i've had enough off it! Now my clubbing money goes to skydiving :D

[B]Has skydiving affected you personally?[/B]
Yes a little bit. Ive always lived by the rule "You only live once, and your live could end tomorrow" I laugh everyday, make fun everyday, chase my dreams everyday, do the things i want to do everyday! Skydiving was one of my dreams and it pushed me even more to "LIVE YOUR/MY LIFE" There are many things i want to do, but if i die tomorrow i can say ive lived every single day of my life!

[B]Why should someone try skydiving?[/B]
Because all of things i said above! Its fun and it will change your live in some way!

Hope you liked my story :P

Pictures from me: http://www.myspace.com/cabfahrer

Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Will the people who are selected be notified beforehand, and given the opportunity to revise/shorten their essay as needed?

But more importantly:
We told you our stories, Joe.. What's yours? :)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

What drew you to the sport in the first place?
Always wanted to try, made a tandem, and fell in love not just with the sport, but the family

What kept you in the sport?
The exhiliration of free fall, the family, and BEER

Has skydiving changed other areas of your life?
Skydiving has totaly changed my life. I used to be quiet stayed home and watched tv after work. now everything is skydiving. there is an american flag infront of my office, and when i pull in in the morning I decide on my pattern and try to figure out what my spot would be.

Has skydiving affected you personally?
hate to quote a shirt but... "My girlfriend told me I had to choose, her or skydiving... I'm gonna miss her" but it was worth it '

Why should someone try skydiving?
you dont ride in a boat to experience swimming...

Other thoughts?
We are one crazily diverse group of people, I work in hte music industry and jump with army vets and nuclear engineers, where else could all of us meet and become brothers other then a c182.

Man! There are so many cool stories and the responses will very much affect the video I produce for the sport. The answers also generated other questions for me that I'll post sometime shortly. Dropzone.com is, no doubt, a wonderful resource.

Regarding your question about notification - I'll probably post the letters as they were written. It will be a while because I want to complete the video project first. If you're concerned about it, you might want to email your revisions to me. Also, nothing is posted in stone, so I'll be happy to make adjustments or even delete posts if requested.

Joe Jennings
http://www.skydive.com
http://www.skydive.tv

Hey Joe,

Love "Good Stuff".

The reason I started is quite different from why I keep doing it.

My earliest memories are from Edwards AFB in the late 50s and early 60s. Test Pilots, Sonic Booms, etc. My dad and uncle were working out there on different projects and I remember being just tall enough to stand next to the kitchen table and hear the stories about all those FANTASTIC airplanes, B-70, X-15, F-104, etc. Somehow those stories got off course a little and brought in those crazy people who jumped from planes for fun. In my little mind test pilots and skydivers were the same kind of people and that was what I wanted to be.

Imagine flying faster than the speed of sound or passing a baton in midair!!

Fast forward a couple decades and I'm a 49 year old pilot who was lucky enough to fly some pretty cool jets, the one thing I hadn't done was skydive. I gave myself AFF for my 50th birthday. My plan was to graduate from AFF, do a couple solo jumps and put an X in that square and move on to the next adventure.

I had to work through some fear things, but by the time I walked through the door of the school for my first jump course, I was feeling pretty excited. In hind sight, I was already addicted.

My reason to jump was to conquer the fear and fulfill a longtime dream of flying my body.

The reason I got hooked is the people I jump with. It seems that everywhere I jump there are some pretty cool people that really enjoy life and all it has to offer. All of these people influence me in the very best way. That is the main reason I kept jumping, the people. I've found that I love all the little rituals of jumping too. Hanging around at the airport, the packing area, pies for milestones, beers for debriefing the day...

Being a competitive type A person another attraction is the sporting side of it. If I can go out with 3 other skydivers of similar ability and we can get 6 points on skydive, why can't we get 10? Perfect the exit, work on levels and proximity, avoid mental mistakes and keep improving. A few weeks ago I went out with 3 people of considerable ability and we got a 17 point skydive. I am still buzzing from that and would love to rise to that level.

I could go on for a while longer but will close here with an answer to your last question, "Why should someone try skydiving?"

You might find something you weren't originally looking for. I've found a bunch of slightly crazy friends who challenge me on several levels, and I'm grateful for it.

Mo

(no picture readily available)

Woow! I love reading these stories! Skydiving can really change your way of thinking about life :)
Wesly

Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

What drew you to the sport in the first place?

The adventure and danger of it all. I was 4 years old living in Florida when Wide world of SPorts covered the nationals. I remember thinking freefall looked amazing and I wanted to do that someday. It was the baddest thing I could afford to do at the time. I liked the reaction I got from whuffo's when they asked about it.

What kept you in the sport?

The people. I would much rather spend a weekend at the DZ then any other place. My first divorce was directly related to my ex's not wanting to hang at the DZ.

Has skydiving changed other areas of your life?

Self confidance, self-esteem, all of those types of things.

Has skydiving affected you personally?

Too many to list....the death of a good friend on a demo knocked me out of it for 9 years. During that time I felt a huge part of who I was missing.

Why should someone try skydiving?

Get out of your comfort zone and do something amazing.

Other thoughts?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Regarding your question about notification - I'll probably post the letters as they were written.

OK, then I'm not worrying anymore. I was thinking, what if he wanted an essay of about fifty words, instead of fifty pages... :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom