4wayFly

Does the USPA hate US skydivers?

So it would be ok, by you, if a pic of some US team taken in France by a French photographer made the calendar cover shot instead of a foriegn team taken at a US DZ by a US photograhper? Some how, I think you'd complain about that too.

I think that would be fine. Although there are many shots of US jumpers taken in the US by US photographers. Mike is one of them and I'm sure he submitted many. The content of the photo makes a statement whether you *think* it should or not.

What if the photo was some boogie or invitational type jump and you did not know the nationalities of all the jumpers. Would you still complain? Pretend for a monent that the jumpers were from several nations, including the US, would you complain about it then?

No I would not complain. The objection is straightfoward and consistent as you will see in my posts. It is the national team of another country on the cover of the national parachute association of the Unites States' calendar. It makes no sense.

Why don't you check out the French and Brit calendars and see if they are so PC?

>The World Team is nations working together to achieve something.
>World Meets as you know are teams from other nations competing
>against each other to win. It's not that hard to understand, Bill.

You asked for opinions. Mine is that I am glad that USPA is not so provincial that they would refuse to print pictures based on someone's nationality. You will not change it by being insulting.

> Collective 'world' events with members from several nations is an
>entirely different issue.

So using a picture of the team that represents Australia at the World Team in Thailand is OK - but using a picture of the team that represents France at the World Meet isn't?

I guess I'm just not going to understand your thinking on this.

Sorry Bill, I did not mean to insult you. I thought you were being deliberately obtuse by implying that partcipants on the World Team and competitors at the World Meet had the same relation to one another.

Why on earth would the USPA put the world champion eight way team on their calender?

Same reason they put the French 8-way on the cover of Parachutist when the USA won the 8-way World Meet in 2001?...

http://www.uspa.org/publications/parachutist/2001reprints.htm

OR....just *maybe* the selection process is for the quality of the photo and aesthetics and not some sort of "we really hate U.S. skydivers" conspiracy?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Can somebody in Eloy ask AZAirspeed to give their opinion about this thread, so that this discussion can be closed? Ppppppppppppppplease.

A non uspa, non american citizen dropzone.com member.

Jurgen

BTW ever seen a pirelli calendar? http://www.pirellical.com/thecal/home.html
They don't show a lot of tires, but nevertheless people like that calendar :P

Can somebody in Eloy ask AZAirspeed to give their opinion about this thread, so that this discussion can be closed? Ppppppppppppppplease.

The members of Airspeed are a class act, I doubt they'd touch either side of this discussion - doing so would be a losing option no matter which position any of them would take. Anyway, they have all the trophies, so that's what matters :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Same reason they put the French 8-way on the cover of Parachutist when the USA won the 8-way World Meet in 2001?...

http://www.uspa.org/...ist/2001reprints.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OR....just *maybe* the selection process is for the quality of the photo and aesthetics and not some sort of "we really hate U.S. skydivers" conspiracy?

You seriously don't think it's even a tiny bit weird that the USA 8-way team (Airspeed) wins the World Meet in 2001 and the USPA official magazine puts a photo of the (losing) French 8-way team on the cover of the magazine that contains the official write-up?

http://www.uspa.org/...ist/2001reprints.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You seriously don't think it's even a tiny bit weird that the USA 8-way team (Airspeed) wins the World Meet in 2001 and the USPA official magazine puts a photo of the (losing) French 8-way team on the cover of the magazine that contains the official write-up?

No, I don't...but I'm also an amateur photographer that has submitted pictures to magazines before, so I understand a little bit on how pics do/don't get selected for things.

I do find this whole conspiracy flavor in the conversation a bit weird, though...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

this is my theory -

ready for it?

"Airspeed was going SO FAST, that there wasn't a single still picture in the appropriate format that had all grips in place, or not fuzzy from the sheer speed of the team members"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I do find this whole conspiracy flavor in the conversation a bit weird, though...

1 - USPA does not include a single photo of the team that won all 4 categories at USPA Nationals in the write-up of the event

2 - USPA puts of a photo of another country's national 8-way team (which is in direct competition to USPA's own 8-way team) on cover of its calendar

3 - USPA puts a photo of another country's (2nd place) 8-way team in the cover of USPA Magazine which contains the write up of the World Meet, at which USPA's own 8-way team took gold.

If it's not a 'conspiracy' (a word I have NEVER used on this thread), it represents some insensitive photographic selections which deserve questioning.

Please take a look at other nations' associations' magazines and what they do when their teams win the World Meet.

1 - USPA does not include a single photo of the team that won all 4 categories at USPA Nationals in the write-up of the event

2 - USPA puts of a photo of another country's national 8-way team (which is in direct competition to USPA's own 8-way team) on cover of its calendar

3 - USPA puts a photo of another country's (2nd place) 8-way team in the cover of USPA Magazine which contains the write up of the World Meet, at which USPA's own 8-way team took gold.

If it's not a 'conspiracy' (a word I have NEVER used on this thread), it represents some insensitive photographic selections which deserve questioning.

Please take a look at other nations' associations' magazines and what they do when their teams win the World Meet.

You've now made 44 posts on this topic and don't seem to have changed anyone's opinion. Give it a rest.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

As a Brit skydiver, I agree with 4wayfly, seems deliberately inflammatory or slightly naive not to include a single photo of the the team that won all 4 categories at the Nationals. If it was me, I'd be offended.

With the calendar I am less convinced. If you had to have a picture of the French 8way team in the calendar, would you rather have it on the cover, that gets turned over and never looked at again OR on one of the pages that you have to stare at for a whole month?

I was more concerned that there were going to post pictures of them from when they were hopping around the swimming pond at Skydive Chicago wearing those thong swimming suits. That was slightly unsettling.

Well, I think that closes the debate in my favor nicely. You'd never catch a US skydiver doing anything like that. :|

Well, not in a thong. :|:|

Well, not in public in a thong. :|:|:|

why not!?
:o:o:oB|B|B|

how boring your little world you live in must be, to keep your mind on something that idiotic so busy, so much!? suck it up, cupcake! ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

You've now made 44 posts on this topic and don't seem to have changed anyone's opinion. Give it a rest.

You counted my posts? Crikey dude. I think you're the one who needs a rest. And a nice cup of tea, probably. :P

the "search" function does the counting.:P

As a Brit skydiver, I agree with 4wayfly, seems deliberately inflammatory or slightly naive not to include a single photo of the the team that won all 4 categories at the Nationals. If it was me, I'd be offended.

That's untrue - they had a full page picture as the endpiece of the magazine. Bigger than all the other Nationals photos.

Storm in a teacup!