BrianSGermain

New Canopy Flight Program

I try not to climb into the aircraft unsupervised whenever possible. I was very fortunate to have a friend that introduced me to the sport to insist on coaching after student status. I have a few very experienced skydivers that jump with me to help on freefall skills. At my level solo jumps are, in my opinion, almost worthless if not detrimental because you can develope bad habits without realizing it.

As for being stable and pulling at the correct altitude that is not a problem. I am stable and aware. After the pull and under canopy I do well, at least I think I do because I have no one else around to judge that. This is the area I want more instruction. So item #1 will be getting your book and self ground school.

We just had a new course open up at my DZ that goes from packing to landing. This is my very next endeavour, to have someone with me or watching my manuevers on set-up, approach and landing.

In an overall opinion of the requirements you suggest, I think they are excellent. Our instructor's will need to improve their teaching skills to handle the accuracy landing with stand-ups. If the teaching is good then we the students should have no fear or pressure that some others speak of. We have fear or pressure because we don't fully understand and comprehend the fine techniques involved. ie we haven't been sufficiently taught at that point.

Since my B license is within sight, every jump is now a determined accuracy jump for the 10 meter circle. I make the best of the freefall for fun but when I drop into the saddle it is concentration, awareness and performing the job the best I can. I expect with the new coaching available to me that in about 15 jumps I can get the accuracy signed off. Even 10 meters though seems a bit loose when I see 30 or 40 coming in for a landing off of a formation dive. The Big Ways are impressive to me in the coordination, precision and knowledge in the landing. So I too will be constantly improving to the "postage stamp" standup landing.

With good instruction, tighter landing areas will not be "harder" or create more "pressure", it will just make us better skydivers.

Thank you to all the experienced skydivers that give us the input we need so very much.

landings that are videoed and discussed at debrief. But someone is going to need to stand in the landing area and do that.

This is one of the problems with how people view this type of training. The idea of adding jumps and the best way to do it, is missing the point.

This type of training needs to be included with the current ISP. What is it, like 20 supervised jumps to get a A license? We can't make a decent canopy pilot in 20 jumps, given that wwe have a clean slate to start with?

By making every jump a canopy control exersice, you give the student a solid foundation to build from. Subsequent training and the related jumps would be easier, as you're starting with a better student, with a better foundation of knowledge and experience.

As for someone standing in the landing area, my impression is that an instructor is supposed to land in the student area, and wait for the student to land. Extend this to the coaches, and now you have an experienced jumper on hand, to watch and critique the landing.

I have a few very experienced skydivers that jump with me to help on freefall skills.

This is still unsupervised in the sense that they are not filling the role of instructor. When you were a student, an instructor was there to ensure a good spot, and give the pull signal at a higher alt if you were too far off field. The people you are jumping with are not responsible for you in that way(nor should they be).

As for being stable and pulling at the correct altitude that is not a problem

I was 99% sure of this. The point is that you have the basic survival skills in freefall, but not under canopy, and yet your advaced training is in your freefall skills. See how this seems a little off?

I also notice that your post includes the phrase "accuracy with stand ups". Standing up a landing means nothing. Don't equate that with a good landing. Your priority is to land with a soft impact, free of obstacles. If that includes a stand up, then fine, but that should be your last concern on any landing.

Again, your situation is not your fault. This is how they teach skydivers, and most jumpers out there come away from student status with freefall skills as their top concern, giving little thought to improving thier canopy skills.

I do appluad your recognition of your situation, and your plans to change it.

Dave:
As for someone standing in the landing area, my impression is that an instructor is supposed to land in the student area, and wait for the student to land. Extend this to the coaches, and now you have an experienced jumper on hand, to watch and critique the landing.

Gary:
Yes, I'm sure most do, and I was saying that this part of canopy control evaluation works fairly well. It is adding stuff up at altitude that I have doubts about.

However, it seems that video is still needed for some students, who will not believe for example, that their flare is not symetrical and that is why they are landing badly. unless they see it for themselves.

It seems to me that what "canopy control classes" best provide is landings that are videoed and discussed at debrief. But someone is going to need to stand in the landing area and do that.

I agree. Video debrief are the reason why the sport of freefalling has excelled to the extent that it has. Canopy flight must be video taped. There needs to be someone videoing every single landing. The best way to ensure that is to grab a camera and film when you are on the ground. The stars of your film will be so appreciative that they will film your landings so that they can get more film themselves.
+
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

The point is that you have the basic survival skills in freefall, but not under canopy, and yet your advaced training is in your freefall skills. See how this seems a little off?

A last note. Point very well taken. I have thought of this many times and in looking at the incident reports, which I do to remind me, I don't see deaths in freefall. I do see.... "under spiraling canopy", "impact with light pole", "collision under canopy", "failure to pull", "hard impact after low level turn", "collision on landing" etc. Our canopy is the only element truly between us and the ground so it should be of primary concern to have the best canopy piloting and landing skills that we possibly can.

Thank you again.

Q for tdog:
How are these demonstrated skills at altitude evaluated? Instructor on the ground with binoculars or something similar?

I am assuming you are referring to the list of skills required to get the paragliding licence that I cut an pasted into the forum... On paraglider - you have a radio at all times. I owned/own the radio. It was not hard for an instructor to tell you stuff as you were flying, and them to watch you from the top of the hill. And since you are often so close to the hill, sometimes they just told you as you passed by:S.

Our canopy is the only element truly between us and the ground so it should be of primary concern to have the best canopy piloting and landing skills that we possibly can.

At 40 jumps, you have achieved the wisdom that so many others seem to lack.

Consider how frequently some instructors use different jumpsuits, weights, etc. to stay with students in freefall. Chances are that most instructors can get another student rig or other canopy that will allow them to hang with the student during the canopy training.

Most students are not able to discern when a canopy may be approaching in a controlled manner for no-contact CRW. If they are briefed on the plan for the hop-n-pop and who will be in the air with them, perhaps they will be more comfortable with another canopy nearby.

Perhaps the task of flying within 100 feet of another canopy for no less than 60 seconds would be the place to start training. That might help the student become more comfortable and allow the instructor to fly closer to better watch and film the remaining jumps.

If I may respond, with my very limited knowledge on this subject, to a JM flying within 100' of the student....
I am all for it! Being a student, under canopy, I always had better to near perfect landings with a chute to follow in. I had no fear being close to another canopy, on the contrary, I felt safer. I knew what to expect before boarding the plane and our excersise was implemented, and I felt confident through the whole procedure. I am also fortuneate my JM wears a cam on these jumps, so I have the best of both worlds.
Ironically, the two jumps, where I was on my own, in the lead, I had bad landings and got hurt.
So, I pose this question...Have I become dependent on the "no touch CRW" method? Or just too dependent on my JM lead?
Just curious....

"Don't waste the pretty"!

tdog:
I am assuming you are referring to the list of skills required to get the paragliding licence that I cut an pasted into the forum...

Gary:
Correct, sorry for the confusion.

tdog:
On paraglider - you have a radio at all times. I owned/own the radio. It was not hard for an instructor to tell you stuff as you were flying, and them to watch you from the top of the hill. And since you are often so close to the hill, sometimes they just told you as you passed by.

Gary:
2-way communication with you having a voice operated transmission? Or just the instructor talking to you?

I can see now that I was thinking more along the lines of skydiving canopy flight, where there is a large altitude span during the descent.

I suppose it is much more efficient learning paraglider flight because many flights can be made in a short period of time, and with the I close by.

Still, perhaps it tells us that we should have radios on our "students" for more jumps and for a much different reason than for when they had only a few jumps...

Losing 4 jumps of progress on a scorecard because of one “learning mistake” is high odds.

Get used to it, that pressure will be with you as long as you jump and continue to learn.

But what is the gain in this, as opposed to the obvious downsides? While the idea of having all jumpers be able to reliable land a random (rented) parachute in a 10m square is nice, why do we need it? Even the landing sites for B rated jumpers is far greater, and the number of circumstances where a jumper can only plan for a backyard landing site is rather small. The incident reports are pretty light on this scenario.

The last day of jumping to get my A, I did 3 jumps to meet my remaining requirements: 1 more RW session and 1 HnP. Skydance likes to do a trial 5500 as the first clear and pull, so off we went. It went well, I was under canopy no lower than 5100. And then thought I was going to black out. Light headed and nauseous, I had to concentrate for my final approach. I stayed on the ground for a couple minutes to recover. And I then promptly mentioned nothing about it to the DZ so I could do my remaining two jumps to graduate.

I correctly decided it was a pinching by the thin leg straps, rationalized that it wasn't a hypoxia concern given that it was a 5500 exit. And the next two jump went fine. Was it intelligent, no. My responsibility, of course.

Is such decision making likely on jump 4 or 5 of a consecutive accuracy requirement, I think so. Unless the canopy instruction improves dramatically so that students can easily achieve the low timer equilivent of the Pro Rating, landing injuries will increase markedly.

It's much more reasonable to jack up the requirements for B, rather than stick people on student status where each jump costs more money.

[reply
How about we change the idea to something like 5 landings within 10 m of the target on five consecutive jumps, all of which must be deemed "safe and soft" by an observing instructor?

Also, another possibility to consider would be landings on a 50 foot long line, say five feet wide.
+

Brian, I think that altering it to a "safe and soft" standard is a huge improvement, but with the catch that it's a less discernable standard than stand ups are. End result is more variation by instructor.

I still believe the consecutive requirement to be severe. I take it your main concerns with the current 5 jumps of 20m is that: a) not terribly hard to meet, and b) they can be 200m off on 20 other jumps?

What about making it 5 of 10, or 5 of X, but the count get reset after a really bad one - either unsafe or say more than 40m off?

5x50ft line: giving a little more lattitude (15m) in the long/short would be kinder to the renters who have to deal with new glide ratios along with the different winds. The < 2m wide part is a bit steep, depending on how important you rate the skill of heading selection on landing. I don't feel qualified to judge on that aspect. Do you alter it each time for the wind line, or just keep it constant, like the grass strip typical at a place like Perris?

The big catch of course, is that typically post AFF and none coached student jump landings aren't being watched. At Skydance I would land at the Barn, nearly a mile off the DZ and main landing area. Someone would come in the van, usually before my landing, and usually a skydiver, but often not an instructor. Would the students be paying an extra 5-10$ a jump to make sure someone is there to observe?

I'm right there with you. The money, the pressure and bad, bad decisions as students.

But I think what the experienced are saying is absolutely a must eventually. Maybe instead of the student jumps being just freefall and very, very little canopy teaching we could get both on each jump? I know it is asking a lot for a student to remember and do but I always felt the jump was four parts anyway. Exit, freefall, canopy and landing. If we could get freefall AND canopy on the same jump I think we just might get a lot more out of it. I had to practice on my own every time under canopy and landing. I think the only comment that was made on a landing was...... "you like downwind landings?". I had to figure a better way to detect wind on the ground from 1500 or so.... shadows, small movement, etc. all on my own... with the help of a few friends after the jump day was over.

Do you alter it each time for the wind line, or just keep it constant, like the grass strip typical at a place like Perris?

Excellent point for wind and our experience with cross wind landings!

On the another point, all one has to do to understand the real point behind this entire thread is to watch a Big Way come in for landing at Perris. We better learn excellent accuracy and heads up landings.

Gary:
2-way communication with you having a voice operated transmission? Or just the instructor talking to you?

One way normally because you are doing what they say with both hands, but you can talk back as needed.

I suppose it is much more efficient learning paraglider flight because many flights can be made in a short period of time, and with the I close by.

No way... Try hiking up a 1000' hill (45 minute hike) with 70 pounds on your back in the hot summer day. And, you cannot fly in the peak of the day because the air is too rough... Three flights from the training hill was my max in any one day, and I went home very tired. I normally did two.

Still, perhaps it tells us that we should have radios on our "students" for more jumps and for a much different reason than for when they had only a few jumps

Perhaps you are right. I read of a team of freefall coaches that were using special noise cancelling microphones to be able to communicate to students in freefall. "More arch, kick your legs out." This might catch on...

But take the next line of my comment that you did not quote: "Leave that kind of pressure to someone who has the skill to know when to abort the bet instead of risk it all."

That was my point. When your skills improve, you move to a bolder canopy and attempt to make those decisions at a lower altitude. You will make your swoop approach a little hotter. As long as you strive to improve and continue to learn, that pressure to make the right decisions will be there.

And that is before you even get into peer pressure to do something stupid.:S

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

First off, Brian, Your book "The Parachute and it's Pilot" is awsome, it is honestly some of the best money I have spent since getting into the sport.. I got it after a really bad 4th jump, and I feel that I have learned more from that book than any of my "formal" canopy training.. I would also like to say, as a recent student, that I agree with what most of this thread says.. Canopy training needs to be improved, and after reading this thread I have every intention of enrolling in a canopy control course eather at Skydive San Diego or Perris Valley as soon as I hear of one starting that fits my work schedule... Also just wanted to comment on the "consecutive landing" ideas that have been thrown out, .. One person mentioned that such a approach might not be a good idea with someone who is too new, ... I just wanted to say that I also agree with that statement... I think that mabey the accuracy requirements could be increased for the 'A' license, however I dont think there should be any "consecutive" requirements, or atleast requirements as large as *5* in a row, until you have a slightly more mature jumper, mabey for a 'B' license requirement? If you wanted some kind of consecutive requirement mabey something like 5 out of 7 in a row meeting the requirement for the A? This would allow some room for the student to not think about loosing the last 4 jumps worth of effort. I was also kind of curious as to what people in this forum consider a "good point" to start experimenting with no-contact CRW, just getting in close proximity to other jumpers under canopy... I have already done it a couple of times, and feel completely comfortable with it as long as both jumpers are aware of the other at all times....

Thanks for reading my mess of mind dump..
B|

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Brian
I am going to use the Skydiver's Information Manual
as my reference. AFF instructors will typically spend about 15 minutes going over freefall dive flows with their students. The canopy dive flows are often completly disregarded. Students deserve that same amount of time for the canopy dive flows. If you review the categories A thru E you will find that most of the canopy control criteria you are requesting are already there. I typically jump my 230 ft F-111 canopy when jumping with students and try to fly the pre-planned flight pattern as I open below the students and they can watch and mimic what I do.

One area that could be improved on is post-AFF canopy dive flows. On category F clear and pulls , a good opprotunity exists. On both dives , a coach could wear video, a student rig, and a radio. The dive flow on the 5500 ft jump could include slow flight, follow the coach, and flying in formation while above 1000 ft and then flying the landing pattern slightly behind and off to one side of the coach to observe and mimic.
On the 3500ft jump, work on any areas that need improvement , as noted on a video review, and then during the pattern have the coach behind and off to one side to video the student land. The radio would be used as little as possible on the second jump.
If the student has already purchased his own gear, then the coach should jump a canopy that should match the performance of the student's gear.

Let's remember that student jumps are all about the student's learning as much as possible. That's what we are getting paid for.

Later,

William Caldwell AFF-I, D5598

you know its amazing...I did not really do any no contact crew until I met Jon Stewart at sussex this summer...what a great introduction, if you read this jonny thanks. I definately agree that not as much effort is put into what to do with your canopy except what not to do.

Then of course the line slack argument...at 38 jumps I scared the dickens out of myself by line twisting a perfectly good canopy at around 1500 ft above sandhill road...boy did I learn lmy lesson as I kicked out and entered the pattern late...

at a similar time, I met a guy by the name of Tom Rose (brilliant photographer btw), he introduced me to a game known well at the ranch as "win tom's money".

This game involves landing in the pea pit.

He gets 2 dollars if you land out of the peas.

you get one if you land in.

and he critiques and teaches you for the "fee"

I have to say that Tom Rose has given me the best accuracy teachings I have ever gotton since I entered the sport, and it has saved my ass when landing off at the ranch as well.

More time needs to be spent on accuracy with students. For accuracy, the other tenements of canopy flying need to be addressed, one day it will either make or break them if they are given this time and effort.

I have to say from Toms instruction and help, I have landed in the peas so many times and on so many different drop zones that I can literally and factually wrote in twenty jump numbers in a row and then 5 in a row for the rest when going for my C license. thanks Tom.

Cheers and Blues.

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Hope you have recovered from the bad landings.

Regardless of how you setup and approach the landing area, you will always be individually responsible for landing your canopy. Even if you are dependant upon your JM for your landing pattern, the actual landing is up to you.

You were able to safely land your canopy when you followed someone else in the pattern. However, it doesn’t matter if you followed someone else to the landing area -- you landed the canopy using your own knowledge and skills.

It may have helped to have someone in front of you because you were able to relax and think more about proper flare and landing technique. As that becomes more second nature, you will be able to incorporate that skill with the other skills required to navigate in a landing pattern.

It is interesting to watch some jumpers who started at small DZ’s when they first get to a larger DZ or boogie with more canopy traffic. This transition causes some jumpers more difficulty with their landings because of the other distractions.

You may have been distracted when you first had to pick and fly a pattern on your own. This distraction may have affected your landings.

You have a very valid point...and hit the nail on the head....I was distracted and felt alot of pressure.

I am still in favor of having my JM fly by me, rather than a two wy radio that only works some of the time.
I hope Instructors don't find this to be too much like babysitting, but it does keep my mind on the most important thing....flare....land!
Thanks for your perspective!

"Don't waste the pretty"!

Brian,talked to Jim Crouch about this.Yes,canopy flight does deserve more study.Coming up with a set of standards means USPA plans to take more of a leadership role?As of this date it's more up to You Scott M. and Jim S. to pass this knowledge on by way of your courses.I know it doesn't make much sense does it?Oh Well,we don't know everything?

1) Flying a definite, presribed pattern from 1000 feet to the target.
2) Slow flight for no less than 60 seconds, demostrating 45 and 90 degree turns.
3) High speed level flight turns of 45 and 90 degrees, performed at 1000 feet so the instructor can observe.
4) Stand up landings within 10 meters of the target on 5 consecutive jumps
5) Accuracy requirements demonstrated in both low and high wind scenarios.
6) Flying within 100 feet of another canopy for no less than 60 seconds.
7) Demonstration of Dive-Arrest techniques at 1000 feet AGL.

+

OK here's my newbie perspective.

Some of this I was taught during my AFF jumps, one maybe two I did on my first jump, before getting my A license I was taught half brake turns, full toggle 90/180s etc, rear riser turns, planning my pattern with varying wind, naming hazards and alternates, awareness of other canopies etc.

Item 4 is extremely tough for a student, you will not get most students passing this. You can teach all you like about setting up and adjusting your check points, most students or even moderately experienced jumpers won't be able to do this because they lack consistency and they won't do this until they get beyond the flying by rote stage IMHO. A requirement like this may even make genuine skills progression less likely. What are you *teaching* them, confidence & flexibility in the pattern and flying it with awareness is probably better than obsessing about the 20m circle.

The main contribution to safety (or difference) w.r.t. what I was taught is item 7 I think, but without a ground plane as a reference I don't know how useful it is and getting stududents to perform anything like a dive at 1000 AGL may be dangerous, they still have to land and not all DZs have a load of space.

I saw some comments on vetoing the 90/180 turn sequences due to line twists, this is a requirement for an A license now, I was taught to do this, I was warned about line twists I was taught how to kick out line twists and I was told not to attempt any radical turns below a safe altitude. It was also extremely difficult to induce line twists in the student canopy I flew, the 90/180s were some of the most fun I had as a student and built confidence.

There's also a distinction to be made between what you teach someone and proficiency testing. For example, a requirement to do a standup landing within 10m of target 5 jumps in a row is a proficiency test, it doesn't teach the student anything new. Is this supposed to make someone safer? How, what new information have you taught them?

Considering the danger zone seems to be when people transition to more agressive landings something that teaches this may have better results. I really don't think my current skills shortage is in flying the pattern and doing 45 & 90 degree turns. I've been on a canopy course and actively sought additional canopy training so maybe I'm not typical, but I'm no hot shot by any means.