minmal

first solo dive after aff

Yes there is one rule. Have fun. Enjoy that you are not trying to accomplish anything for your instructor. Just stay stable and altitude aware and pull at the right time. Enjoy the scenery.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

hi ppl

was wondering if there are rules on what i am allowed to do on my first solo dive regarding body position

ty

ps yes cant wait this will happen on Sunday (woot)

The way you are asking the question makes it seem like you have intentions of trying a body position that you never worked on during AFF?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Just enjoy it! I found my first solo was my best jump, no pressure meant i was rock steady and could move where i wanted without any trouble! Pull with time to enjoy the canopy ride and take your goggles off to really take in the panorama! there is a moment about 4 seconds into the jump where you think "THIS is why i took up skydiving"

The clue is in the name. They are "consoles", short for "consolidation jumps". ie, you're meant to be consolidating the skills you were taught during your AFF levels.

You should therefore be doing the kind of things you did during your AFF levels – all round awareness, stability, turns, tracking, maybe a flip or two etc etc. Anything else is just fucking about. You're still a student learning how to skydive. Treat your skydive like what it is - a learning experience.

Now your first jump after getting your A-licence.... that's where I'd say go have fun. Try whatever you like so long as you do so after getting an appropriate safety brief (so you don't endanger others) and are jumping kit suitable for whatever it is you're wanting to try (ie freefly safe if you're going to be doing something other than pure belly to earth.

Note I emphasise "try". My recommendation would be to concentrate on getting your belly skills up to scratch before truly exploring any other disciplines... but trying something out a couple of times for fun and to celebrate graduation is a little different.

I'd also encourage you to run all this by your instructor. If they give you a dive plan, stick to it. If they contradict anything on this thread - listen to them, not us.

most of all, have fun!

being able to just jump is already pretty cool!

enjoy your well earned and deserved freedom to be able to go alone, and not having to have tasks accomplished!

dont forget to pull!!! :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I think you're getting some dangerous advice in this thread about just going off to have fun and not worrying about having tasks to complete. From your posted jump number as "6" I take it you're asking about your consoleS?

Those are working jumps. You DO have tasks to complete and goals. They may or may not be given to you by your instructor, but they're there nontheless.

They are not simply an oportunity to just go fuck about. It would be good if an AFFI could chime in here as at the moment you only seem to be getting crap advice from people with around 100 jumps. :|

what did you do on your first solo? enjoyed the scenery? did a couple of flips? tracked? thats what i did.. pretty much the same shit as i did before.

nobody here gave dangerous advice. if you dont know that skydiving is about having fun, you might should consider taking up golf.. :P

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

My first solo I arched and counted to three :P

I think an AFF student should be getting advice from an instructor, not people with 20, 85 and 115 jumps.

I don't think any of the advice given by the above people with 20, 85 and 115 jumps is very good.

At best it's pretty useless, at worst it's dangerous. Consoles are training jumps. The STUDENT should have tasks to perform that should at least be self set, if not set by their instructor.

Given the tenor of the OP, it looks rather much like they're thinking about going off and trying sit, HD or who knows what. Sounds to me like a brilliant way to track into the next guy out the plane or cause a premi on the loose AFF kit student's jump. In short, it sounds like a pretty good way to get the OP or someone else killed.

Advice which tells someone simply to crack on and have fun while doing so is not just bad advice, it's dangerous advice.

My first solo I arched and counted to three :P

I think an AFF student should be getting advice from an instructor, not people with 20, 85 and 115 jumps.

I don't think any of the advice given by the above people with 20, 85 and 115 jumps is very good.

At best it's pretty useless, at worst it's dangerous. Consoles are training jumps. The STUDENT should have tasks to perform that should at least be self set, if not set by their instructor.

Given the tenor of the OP, it looks rather much like they're thinking about going off and trying sit, HD or who knows what. Sounds to me like a brilliant way to track into the next guy out the plane or cause a premi on the loose AFF kit student's jump. In short, it sounds like a pretty good way to get the OP or someone else killed.

Advice which tells someone simply to crack on and have fun while doing so is not just bad advice, it's dangerous advice.

You sound like my instructor: After my last jump, which was my graduation jump, he pulled me aside and gave me the same rundown. After thinking a bit about it, it sounded reasonable.
But I will still take a few seconds to look around :)

frankly, i did ask my instructor at the time what to do. his answer: "dont do stupid shit, just have fun!"

people here have stated about the same stuff here: dont do stupid shit, have fun! after aff, which basically teaches you only to survive in an otherwise rather hostile environment. well, the ground is..

having mastered aff and given the ok by his instructors, he should have learned the basic skills. he should know to track away from jumprun. he should know enough about his gear and what it is being capable of. he also should know that "doing stupid stuff" can easily kill or maim him and others. that responsibility was given to him by the people that teached him. its now up to him to put that knowledge to good use..

to quote my instructor once more, after i've expressed concerns on my first solo: "you learned what you need, now leave the nest and fly, young bird!"
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I almost wish people would sign a disclaimer to say that they will talk to instructors so not to worry as it seems to be the default answer to many questions, hopefully anyone who has got through their AFF will know this so it doesnt need to be said. OBVIOUSLY dont be stupid, but i got out of the plane enjoyed the ride then thought "perhaps I should use this time" did about 4 backloops countless 360s a track and still had time to have another look around, YES, talk to your instructor but since you are asking regular jumpers and for the most part not instructors it seems as if for consol 1 anyways BE SAFE for for christs sake ENJOY! you have a lot to do on the last few AFF levels that you barely have a chance to take in what you are doing! you paid all of that cash and worked you ass off so you can jump out of planes, for one jump atleast soak it up! you have 9 others to perfect your skills and if you cant do it in 9 then perhaps you shouldnt have passed your AFF ;-)

you know, you sound like many of those mindless people out there, i'm not saying that you are.. but your instructor isnt going to hold your hand for the rest of your jumping career, or is he? especially in a sport like skydiving, people should take responsibility of their actions. they can die or kill if they dont.

or maybe we should limit skydiving on work jumps only and cross out all the fun. maybe we should get back to rounds and not allow freeflying anymore. the speeds reached on your belly are fast enough, to much danger already. with rounds, no swooping! basically you just let yourself fall down. thinking about it, skydiving is so dangerous, nobody should be allowed to take that responsibility up on their own!

sign my petition today!

edited to add: having freedom to choose what you want/can/could do, does not necessarily mean you are going to "abuse" that freedom. but that is only a valid argument for responsible people, so it might not apply to you.. :P;)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

You're being silly now; this guy isn't yet onto "the rest of his jumping career". He's still a student. He doesn't have his A yet, he's on his consols. He's still under instruction, even though his instructor isn't actually physically with him on the jump.

The rules require that he still has his hand held, instructionally at least if not physically, because he's not yet licensed.

Once he's licensed it's a slightly different issue. Note the difference between my advice in my first post re his first jump post qualification, and his first consol jump.

I am an instructor - S/L though not AFF, hence why I invite an AFFI to comment. I would expect to have to hand-hold someone with 6 jumps and advise them against free-flying in student gear and without a safety brief. They're not yet experienced enough to know any better. Personal responsibility can ONLY work with knowledge. As we've just discussed, this guy's still in the process of acquiring his knowledge as he's still under instruction.

Until he's licensed his freedom extends only so far as his instructor lets it. As for abusing it - it really does sound from his question like he's considering abusing it, either through ignorance or otherwise. That's why he needs something more than just a slap on the back and a "have fun".

i would advise against freeflying at all, i wouldnt even give him a safety brief on ff. dont want to give the young man the wrong ideas. you know, i'm an instructor too, indoor-skydiving that is.. :P

and i really like belly-flying!

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Why are you arguing with me? We appear to agree.

wouldnt even give him a safety brief on ff. dont want to give the young man the wrong ideas.

So you wouldn't let someone with 6 jumps freefly... but you would advise someone with 6 jumps who's clearly asking about freeflying on his first consol to just have fun without having to worry about practicing things he learned during his AFF levels, not warn against freeflying and then proceed to attack anyone else who suggests he shouldn't be freeflying??? That's a rather odd position to take.

yes, we are!

all i said is, dont worry to much, have fun, enjoy the dive! DONT DO STUPID SHIT!!!

i've also said, its now his responsibility. he is RESPONSIBLE for what he does.

that first solo of mine, you know, what a freeing experience! doing it ALL ALONE, no such hard tasks to focus on. dive into the blue, and enjoy the ride..

what i felt in your posts was that you tried to scare the guy off. personally, i dont think thats a good thing! being able to freefall on your own is quite an accomplishment. enjoy it for at least one jump! again, DONT DO STUPID SHIT! and if he only "falls down". have fun doing so!!!
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

all i said is, dont worry to much, have fun, enjoy the dive! DONT DO STUPID SHIT!!!

The problem is someone with so few jumps won't always know what stupid shit is. Once you leave AFF you have the basics to save yourself, be safe in the plane, land, etc. But there's a lot of stuff you still don't know that can harm you and harm others.

To the OP, there really aren't any rules for AFF grads in my area but you should still be talking with your instructor about trying new things. They should point out any dangers you might be creating for you and others and help you plan the jump so you don't create a safety problem.

minmal - please disregard any advise I gave you here. Aparently, I don't have a clue as to what I am saying in regards to skydiving as I am pretty new myself. Of course, I would just like to say that yes, you need to speak to your instructors about your jumps and what you intend to do... opps, sorry, there I go again... please disregard.

BTW, if you need any advise on aviation safety related items (besides skydiving), let me know. It's part of what I do for a living.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

DONT DO STUPID SHIT!

No, the stupid shit is what you do AFTER you get your license;)

like wingsuiting with less than 80 jumps? dont tell nobody!!! its a secret.. and i didnt want to do it anymore.. but yet, IF i go jumping this weekend.. well!
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

very funny you recommend that, my first hop n'pop was so far the only jump that nearly killed me.. pulling, and realising something was wrong when i see my pilot chute is tangling between my legs is kinda.. well, disturbing!?

needless to say, its a necessity here to get your license. needless to say too, i had to repeat that jump!

glad i had all those skydivers around me, on my first and second hop n'pop, to wish me "good luck" and "it was nice meeting you!" on the plane and before.. :D:D:D

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

minmal - please disregard any advise I gave you here. Aparently, I don't have a clue as to what I am saying in regards to skydiving as I am pretty new myself. Of course, I would just like to say that yes, you need to speak to your instructors about your jumps and what you intend to do... opps, sorry, there I go again... please disregard.

The problem isn't that you don't have a clue, everyone doesn't have a clue compared to the guy who has X times more jumps than them. It's that you're talking to a 6 jump guy who's basically still a student.

There's a lot of learning yet to do between AFF graduation and 30+ jumps and since local instructors already know what the low jumper knows, doesn't know, has issues with, etc, they're the best people to get this kind of advice from.