cpoxon

New Zealand parachutist gets line twists shocker!

I won't be posting this in Incidents! :-P

Slow news day in Haruru Falls?

http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/localnews/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3765432&thesection=localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Parachute twists in skydive

A BAY of Islands skydiver has survived a more exhilarating than usual jump after his parachute became twisted, forcing him to act quickly to avoid plunging to earth.

Keith Grealy, a 21-year-old camera operator for Haruru Falls-based NZSkydive, said he was on a solo "sports jump" with friends and colleagues yesterday afternoon when his main parachute became twisted.

"It's a high-performance parachute, so it's smaller than the ones we use for tandem skydiving and it gets twisted more easily," he said.

Because of his training, Mr Grealy was able to correct himself before he came into any danger.

"It's not very common that something like that happens."
Mr Grealy was not injured in the incident and doesn't appear to be worried about it.

"It was a buzz, actually," he said.

A Civil Aviation Authority spokesperson said the incident could be reported to the New Zealand Parachute Industry Association, which would then lodge it with the CAA.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Meh, probably the reporter just happened to see it.
And admit it - it's way better than the usual "parachute failed to open; death defying experience"-bull. :)
The only thing that is unfortunate, though, is that the reporter made the skydiver look reckless and irresponsible. Some more stuff about partial mals and training would have been nice.

But that's sensationalism for you [:/]
Or alternatively, the reporter got nothing but the "evidence of his own eyes" - maybe stuff wasn't explained properly to him.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

That is one fucking cool video.

I could feel his adrenaline. Not from the line twists cause of course watching that i was in my mind trying to get out of the line twists along with him but after he was out i could place myself within his frame of mind and the whole calming factor.

I have read alot of Brians articles over the years but after that video will watch the rest of his videos he has posted.

I first thought the commentary was cheesy until i realised how educational it was for others to be watching.

Good Job Brian, Excellent teaching/lecturing ability you have! Very impressed with the way you put that together.

To the person who posted about their navigator line twists.... you should watch this as it sounds like after your jump you 'think' you know what line twists are and may go into your next situation 'too calm' thinking you know it cause you have done it before. This video will show you what line twists really are. You will see in this video that you should not try and kick out of all line twists. If this canopy was deployed at 3000 ft and he spent that much time trying to kick out of these line twists, he would more than likely not be here today. It can be very easy to lose altitude awareness when woring on line twists as this video shows exactly how long you can get wrapped up in trying to get out of them.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Slow news day in Haruru Falls?

A Civil Aviation Authority spokesperson said the incident could be reported to the New Zealand Parachute Industry Association, which would then lodge it with the CAA.

:D:D:D

..and in other news, the sheep of Northland are said to be very happy with the grass they're feeding on. 'Baaaaaa' said one.

but what do I know

To the person who posted about their navigator line twists.... you should watch this as it sounds like after your jump you 'think' you know what line twists are and may go into your next situation 'too calm' thinking you know it cause you have done it before. This video will show you what line twists really are.

Dude, don't discredit line twists under a Navigator or this users experience.... My most scary line twists was under a canopy that was flying straight and level and was docile. Sometimes a diving elliptical can "throw you out" of the twists once you start the process.

Yeah I watched that video on like the day he posted it. But I don't understand you when you say I don't understand what line twists are. The canopy was flying straight and level at 4000 feet, my decision altitude is 2500 feet. If it would have been spinning like that then I would have chopped it. I was just going by what my instructors taught me. I know its different when your under a forgiving canopy like the navigator verses a smaller high performance canopy.

It mostly startled me because well it was the first time it happened to me, and that the canopy streamed for so long (it felt like) then spun up just like you got your shirt caught in a drill bit or something. If I ever get into spinning linetwists with the slider all tangled up in them like that guy had, then I'll chop it after a couple spins or less.

Sorry mate, I dont mean that you dont know what they are. What i meant was be prepared to deal with worse line twists and dont get caught up in trying to kick out of them becuase you have managed to do it before.

I think what i said was very wrong on many levels. I have a hard time explaining things in text. Just ignore my post.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store