skymom2

New Skydiver-obsessed and wanting to get certified

skymom2,
At SDC you can do many jumps/day. We do not offer AFF, we offer AFP, which is a 20 jump program. It still costs only slightly more than AFF, and you get free video on every jump!
You must do 2 tandems prior to starting AFP, and if you are heads-up and performing, we have had students do as many as 10 jumps in a day. That is rare though. We do often have students doing 3-5 jumps/day. 5 is the unspoken limit unless you are kicking ass and relaxed.
Good luck wherever you go. Do research and pick the best place even if it is a little drive.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

It would be nice to have a video on every jump. I can see that as being very important in learning what I may have done right/wrong. I haven't found a place down here that offers anything like that. I mean you can pay to have a video made, but it's not for every jump. That would be cool.

The journey of life is not to arrive at the grave in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out, screaming "Holy Crap!" what a ride!

skymom2,
Well then, SkydiveChicago is your place. Just checkout our website (www.skydivechicago.com) and see if you like our facilities and the other stuff we have to offer. At SDC you'll be jumping current gear (like what you'll buy for yourself). All our student canopies are PD Sabre2 models. All of our rigs are Javelin fixed harness, Mirage RTS, or Vector student models (we have no adjustable harnesses, we have about 30 student rigs with varying harness sizes/canopies, which means you get the right rig for your size and experience level, not one-size-fits-all like most DZs).
After your two tandems, You go with one JM, not two.
If you come for a week during late spring, summer, or fall, you can complete your license requirements (unless you have serious difficulty in the air). I have seen only two people in the last 3 years that couldn't have finished in a week (if money/time was not a factor).
Anyway, good luck whatever you choose.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

I limit my jumpers to 5 jumps a day absolute max

While doing my post-AFF jumps I did 5 in one day - but I don't recommended it. I was dog tired, in bed by 8:30 that night and had a bruise on my left upper arm from shoulder to elbow from ill fitting harness.

Still lots of fun though :P

Jen

I did 6 post-AFF consolidation jumps in one day while a student. My first lift took off at 10am, I exited my last lift at 8pm. It was fantastic, being on the sunset load, watching the sun drop from under canopy. Finished the day utterly exhausted, but feeling absolutely wired.

In theory it would be fun to come to Chicago but it's really not feasible for me. Time and money and my two main limiting factors. I have 16 mo old twins and needless to say that doesn't leave a lot of time or money left over. Sounds like a great DZ, but I think I will find somewhere closer to home. Plus, I kinda like the idea of 2 JM with me my first jump.

The journey of life is not to arrive at the grave in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out, screaming "Holy Crap!" what a ride!

I had a change of mind after I got my A. I was hell
bent on doing 4,5,6 and 8 ways. Well after 20 jumps
I was able to get stable in couple of seconds, thats
when it occured to me that it's time to forget about
falling, I can track,turn,fall fast or fall slow and get out of the way if I need to. I rambling.... I have decided to devote my entire summer strictly on canopy control, I am going to Eloy in March for a ton
of coach jumps and I just signed up for some coach
courses at my DZ this summer. I want to know my
canopy like my best friend. I will then go to the freefly skills. Just my opinion.

I find skydiving being something that takes both time and money. You regularly have to jump to stay current else you are dangerous to yourself and others. And before taking up the sport I would take this into account, and possibly delay starting until these have been addressed.

Also I would not worry about two jump masters or tandem, I would let the instructors suggest the best course for you. I am just of student status and I would ignore most of what I say, but there are some people who do not pick things up as quickly in the theory portion and they are strongly encouraged to take a tandem. It is not a cop out, its just another form of progression.

If I was to do my AFF again I would have waited till I had enough money to do all 9 AFF jumps and the 10-20 odd jumps needed to complete my accuracy and then taken a week or two off work and jumped. I found myself franticly saving to afford the next lesson so I would keep current (sic), but also if I needed to repeat or I was on a roll I could not just get back up in the sky. I feel this made me have to repeat a few more than I should have because I could not just get back up there.

Also while you are saving I would get brians book, read everything you can on this site and learn how to pack. I feel I am a safer person who skydives from learning as much as I can and then verifing it with my instructor.

For anyone wanting to get into the sport I would strongly suggest looking at how much it costs. As this is one of your factors I would pay more attention to it. Also keep in mind that health insurance may also be an added cost you may wish to consider.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1385146

Also I would not think of the time it takes, you will get weather days where you are standing around waiting. Will you go back home or wait around learning from others and possibly jumping at the end of the day. It is hard to plan how long things take and there can be alot of wasted time, will this be an issue for you. Just another caviet, I am only just off student status and these are only my experiences, thoughts and observations and take it like a grain of salt or the brain farts they are.

I hope to see you up in the sky someday, best wishes and stay safe.

I definately agree. I am about to seriously start reading up on the sport and I would love to get a job packing or even just answering phones somewhere so I can just be around it and learn from others. B/c money is such an object I will not be starting until I am sure I have saved enough to complete my training. We are also goign to be possible moving soon and we will be closer to the DZ I will more than likely so my training at. Also, grandparents will be close for babysitting etc. I am definately taking this seriously and slowly b/c I want to do it RIGHT. I want to feel confident the first time I make a solo jump and I want to feel confident that I can overcome any problems that might arise...even if only in theory. Mainly right now I am just gonna try to learn as much as I can via books etc and I will take a tandem any time I am able, cause the way I see it is, it can't hurt, it can only make me more comfortable and more educated. Here's a question...

Once I am certified, how much is gear rental (approx)? Would you recommend I immediately buy my own gear? I've noticed that most place only charge around $20 to take you up if you have your own gear...

Once I am certified, how much is gear rental (approx)? Would you recommend I immediately buy my own gear? I've noticed that most place only charge around $20 to take you up if you have your own gear...

There are some great articles on gear decisions in the Safety section of DZ.com: http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/index.shtml. I have found them very useful as I start to consider buying my first gear. Of course, you will want to talk with folks ast your DZ (start with your instructors) who will be able to advise you on the specific gear that you should look at, but the articles contain some great general tips on evaluating and purchasing gear.

Also....do you know of any good books to read about the sport?

This recent thread http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1432880 has quite a number of suggestions.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

hi Skymom2,
I'm glad that you have been infected by the sickness:)I first jumped in late Aug. and have only been able to do 3 tandems (required by DZ b/f AFF - but 1 JM at AFF1). I've been eagerly waiting to start my AFF, but due to time and primarily bad weather, i find myself just waiting. Maybe, it just adds to the excitment of my next jump.

As for literature here is a great post by weegegirl
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1432880;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

That should be helpful
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Skymom,
Welcome to this sport we love! :)
But don't rush it. I found I was completely exhausted, emotionally and physically after 3 jumps in a day. I think that contributed to my bad landing on my last jump, I was just worn out. If you do 2-3 jumps a day on the weekends, you will finish before you know it. But just remember, even after you finish AFF, you still have to do a bunch of coach jumps before you're licensed.

On the fear thing -- Yup! I was totally terrified my 1st jump! But I got out the door cuz I just remembered that totally awesome feeling I had in freefall on my tandem. B| I wanted that feeling again so bad, whatever fear I was feeling was worth it! It does get better. I still get pretty nervous when I go up, but once I feel the wind in my face, its all good! :)If you're curious about the student progression, you can read my jump journal which is in the link at the bottom of my post.

Good luck and just do it!! You'll never stop thinking about it if you don't! (Who am I kidding, you'll still think about it all the time, but at least you'll be doing it! ;))

Oh, my gear cost me about $2300. (Its very slightly used.)

I definately agree. I am about to seriously start reading up on the sport and I would love to get a job packing or even just answering phones somewhere so I can just be around it and learn from others. B/c money is such an object I will not be starting until I am sure I have saved enough to complete my training. We are also goign to be possible moving soon and we will be closer to the DZ I will more than likely so my training at. Also, grandparents will be close for babysitting etc. I am definately taking this seriously and slowly b/c I want to do it RIGHT. I want to feel confident the first time I make a solo jump and I want to feel confident that I can overcome any problems that might arise...even if only in theory. Mainly right now I am just gonna try to learn as much as I can via books etc and I will take a tandem any time I am able, cause the way I see it is, it can't hurt, it can only make me more comfortable and more educated. Here's a question...

"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Thank you so mcuh for your post. It is so nice to be encouraged and also to know that I am not the only one who wants this so bad but is still terrified at the same time. I am taking my time and saving up, but I don't know how I'll ever buy my own gear...

Can you elaborate on having to do "coach jumps" before you can be licensed? I don't know anything about this...and I'm curious. :)
I think I am far more afraid of landing then of the freefall maneuvers etc...
I guess there is so much that I feel like can go wrong..of course I have had no training so I am talking from complete inexperience.

During your training, did you find the landing or the freefall to be harder and/or more stressful?

You're awesome! Thanks so much for your post!

I was definately scared my first jump. When I stuffed up a jump it defiantely made me more stressed because I wondered what would stop me from doing the same mistakes. But I would think that if I could do all my jumps in a short period of time, getting back on the horse would have helped a little. I would suggest reading the incident reports and you will get an understanding of what can go wrong.

I am not in america but if you refer to the USPA SIM as someone suggested earlier it states that to get an A license you need to:

a. completed 25 jumps
b. completed all requirements listed on the USPA A License Proficiency Card
c. completed five group freefall skydives involving at least two participants
d. received the signature and official stamp on the USPA A License Proficiency Card or USPA A License Progression Card (ISP)

"With the direct assistance of other qualified staff members, such as the USPA Coach, the USPA Instructor continues to supervise your training and monitor your progress during all remaining student jumps until you obtain your USPA A license."

http://www.uspa.org/publications/manuals.pdf/SIM2005.pdf

You'll probably be afraid of different parts of the skydive at different times. I know that even in my short time I find that there are certain parts of the skydive that I'm apprensive and parts that I'm comfortable with.

Sometimes I'll be nervous going up to altitude, usually I have a little bit of fear right before I get out of the plane, and I have had times approaching the ground (under canopy) that I have been nervous...

Just the same there are parts of the jump that I'm always thrilled about... I realized during my last weekend of jumping that after my canopy opened on every jump I exclaimed "Yahoo!" or "Yee Hah!"... and I just love the feeling right outside the door when I've exited stable and am starting manuvers...

Coach Jumping is used to complete the requirements to become a licensed after graduating from some variation of Free Fall progression... It also good for experienced jumpers to do coach jumps periodically to ensure that they don't develop bad habits or so I'm told...

Scott

As always seek input from instructors at your local DZ...

SkyMom,
I didn't have fear of the landing at all because my tandem master on my 1st jump was totally awesome and set us down tip-toe soft! B| For me, it was sort of a non-specific fear. I was just TERRIFIED. I was excited after ground school, but as soon as I put the rig on, thats when it hit me. I think I was most afraid of taking care of everything myself. Having to rely entirely on myself to keep myself alive and safe. The freefall stuff is hard until you learn to relax. It sounds stupid, but even if you don't think you're tense, you will be. And until you relax, you won't be in control up there. But for your first few jumps the instructor(s) will be holding onto you so your only job is to arch and pull on time.
There is a lot to learn about flying the canopy, but for your first few jumps your instructor will guide you down on a radio. Just remember your landing pattern and to flare and you'll be okay. On my 1st jump, the radio didn't work so I had to land by myself. I landed in the corn field next to the DZ, but I was not hurt and landed safely, so it was all good. :)You will get a ton of info in your ground school. If you are unsure about something after that, ASK! And the biggest thing -- have confidence in YOURSELF. You can do it! :)
If you do traditional AFF, you will need a bunch more jumps after the 7 levels before you are licensed. These are "coached" jumps, which the coach signs off on in your logbook. You need a license to jump at other DZ's or with other people.

You don't have to buy your own gear. At my DZ, the gear rental is $30. So for each jump you have to pay $50 if you don't have gear. I wanted my own ASAP because the student gear is not comfortable for me, and I wanted to learn how to pack for myself. (Not to mention its a lot cheaper! ) It depends on your DZ. Some don't have very many rentals so there may not be a good one for you.

Wow, that was a long answer! ;) Anyway, keep reading up on things and trying to learn more. Then when you're ready JUST DO IT! :)
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Yeah I wasn't scared at all my tandem jump...it's just terriying to me to think about landing all by myself...

I think I can handle the freefall etc (although I'm sure that first step out of the plane will be hard) it's just the landing it properly...SCARY!

What is PLF?

PLF is Parachute Landing Fall. Its basically a tuck-n-roll landing. You want to do that when you are coming down too fast to prevent breaking an ankle or leg.
Your instructors should tell you about it and have you practice. (But in my ground school, they didn't. So if they don't, ask them to show you how to do it. )

A book that you might like is called "The Skydivers Handbook". I read it cover-to-cover after my 1st jump. Lots of great info in there. (including PLF's)

Well the bottom line is you will never know exactly how you'll feel until you're actually up there with your own rig on, about to jump out at 13k feet. It is definitely a totally different experience than a tandem. Just remember to take a deep breath and try to relax. When you are under canopy just remember what your instructor told you and you'll do fine. I was worried I'd forget something, but when the time came I remembered everything she said and I got myself down safely. Trust yourself. Good luck! Let us know how it goes! :)
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site