ehaecker

ready to start AFF

B|
Ok - I am ready to start AFF. I did my first tandem a couple weeks ago and I was freekin hooked. I have the money in hand right now, and I cannot wait for this weekend. One of my friends told me that I should try to do jumps 1-3 this coming Saturday, then jumps 4-5 the next Saturday, and finally 6-7 the very next day. I have been reading the message boards quite a bit, and also reading all about AFF... this is something I am very serious about.
I am supposed to go in for a few hours of ground school Friday night, and was told to expect to spend the night and start with jumping first thing Saturday morning. Does anybody have any good advice for me? It would be much appreciated…
Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------
"Just follow your heart, that's what I do."
-Napolean Dynamite

dont hit the ground at right angles
dont sleep with unclean women
respect the beer rules
listen to your instructors

Good advice!

To add to this list: don't believe everything you read here on DZ.com.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Does anybody have any good advice for me?

Yes.

Listen, do everything your Instructor tells you to do, relax, pull the handle at the correct altitude and land your parachute safely. :)
And learn no to say these words ever again.:P;)
"I am supposed to go in...."

Let us know how it went.
Good Luck :)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I too just had my first jump..last weekend in fact. I am also hooked and anxiously awaiting the start of my AFF training. I don't have the money however, so it might be a while. Let me know how it goes if you don't mind...I'd love to hear it from someone who is as new to the sport as I am.

Good luck and have fun!

The journey of life is not to arrive at the grave in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out, screaming "Holy Crap!" what a ride!

I did my first AFF when vacationing in Moab last march. As soon as i got back to salt lake i found a drop zone and never looked back. I was kinda worried about spending the money on it, but a rig, altimeters, helmet, and a jumpsuit later its all worth it. I dont know what your dropzones policy is on packers. But my advice would be to start packing as soon as you can. I pack all day saturday then jump all day sunday with the money i maid. It will pay for itself.

It's funny you should mention that. We might be moving soon so I am waiting to see what DZ I should go to, but I fully intend to try to get some type of job at the DZ so I can not only support my habit but learn from the people around me.

The journey of life is not to arrive at the grave in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out, screaming "Holy Crap!" what a ride!

as one who recently did aff ground school... i am hoping to do my level 5 and 6 this friday... what i am glad people told me:

1. always ask your instructor and listen to him. i was not that impressed with my instructor in the classroom. when he began to debrief me after our jumps, i found out what a totally kickass skydiver and teacher he is. pay attention. that time when you both go back through the jump together will be the most valuable for learning right now. it is how i am learning what questions to ask and what to pay attention to.

2. relax. it is what i get written in my book every time and the hand signal i invariably get. we are doing this because we love it so much.

3. know your limits. i tried to do 3 jumps the last time i was out, and after 2 my instructor gently encouraged me not to, that i was getting a little muscle tired, and adapting to the environment takes a little time. so know when to push through, and when not to.

i also never knew how much fun it would be, and how much i would start to like the people i jump with, or what it would be like to be the only student and the only woman on a planeload of 12 guys. ergh.

oh, i would also say to read. some people would hate it, it may or may not be for you, but i am that type. i got the skydivers handbook and the brian germain canopy book (along with a very interesting book on the history of gravity.) and read them both fully. some of it will not help me at all. but i am glad for it, and when i reread after i started doing aff jumps a whole lot of the bigger picture made good sense to me.

have a great time.
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

Remember. Your having fun !!!!! Smile it is easy to relax when your not all worked up. It's hard to be worked up with a smile. If you can think back to a part of your skydives when every thing was right averything was cool and there was not a single worry. It was all good.

That is were your mind or soul (if you will) should be. This will allow you to perform. It is your happy place and will let you do all those things that you have been trained to do. Happy place. sounds funny but it works. Think about what your going to do with this frame of mind when your training and when your in the plane. Nice deep breaths help to, hold'em then let them out. I'am pretty sure some one has said this to you.
Have fun
stay in your happy place
you'll do just great
Do or do not

Thanks for all the advice. I have been trying to read as much as possible. A friend gave me a book of all the AFF stuff she was given when she was going through training. I have read through that stuff - about 3 times, and I have especially going over jumps 1-3. I really want to try to get jumps 1-3 done this Saturday, because my work schedule is such a pain to work out (I have had to arrange to get Saturday off like 3 weeks in advance :S )
Thanks again for the advice,
Eric
-Napolean Dynamite

I have to say it would be intimidating to be the only girl in a place load of guys. I'm used to being the only girl around my friends, but I think it would be hard to be trying something new that I know nothing about and being the only girl.

I also am reading up on the sport. I want to be as prepared as possible when I start my training. I know you (I) will learn most everything through experience, but I am really big on being as prepared as possible.

Would you recommend reading the SIM? I've heard that you will more than likely have to get it anyway to complete your training...any info?

it's not bad at all. all the guys i jump around are great, and they were super-helpful to me and made me feel right at home. those guys are committed to helping me just become a great skydiver, and treat me well. but yes, i definitely noticed. :)

and yes, i am sure that you - and i - will need a SIM. i have downloaded it online and read different sections, but i have not gotten the real thing.
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

One Word : RELAX

You'll hear it a million times during your training and you'll hate it every time they say it, but it's the truth. Relaxing is the key to good skydiving. PM me if you want me to elaborate on my experiences.

Have fun :)

Indeed there is only one thing...RELAX and the moment you'll be it YOU'LL KNOW IT!

Well all I can say is you will have a great time. I just finished my aff anfd from your stats I assume you are jumping at west tennessee skydive and that's where I go to. I hope to do a couple this sat myself. Since I have worked with a lot of the instructors there I can tell you that you are in good hands. Wait till the king air gets back next month!

Well all I can say is you will have a great time. I just finished my aff anfd from your stats I assume you are jumping at west tennessee skydive and that's where I go to. I hope to do a couple this sat myself. Since I have worked with a lot of the instructors there I can tell you that you are in good hands. Wait till the king air gets back next month!

Yep thats where I am going. I will see you there on Saturday if you go. Dane is my instructor, do ya know him? He did my tandem and I really liked him.
-Napolean Dynamite

Well, I had my first AFF jump yesterday. The DZ was so busy that I didn't get to do the 3 I wanted, but it was still a BLAST! I had so much fun, and I thought it went pretty well. The instructors said that my main problem was my legs - they were movin around the whole time, which caused us to turn some. Oh well I guess that will get better with practice. I cannot wait until next weekend, I plan to jump both Saturday and Sunday. WHAT A FUN TIME!!
-Napolean Dynamite