jmar595

Cheapest DZ?

I don't have a problem with that and you can learn more faster from someone who makes it their profession to teach. But I really think the sport has gotten a "if you're not paying for it, you're not really learning something of value" attitude over the years and it's just not true.

I would hardly say that someone who spent a couple of days getting a USPA coach rating "makes it their profession to teach."

As an educator with 37 years of teaching experience, I find this concept to be absurd. Rather like claiming someone who took a CPR class has made it their profession to be a physician.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I would hardly say that someone who spent a couple of days getting a USPA coach rating "makes it their profession to teach."
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Lets see if someone is a coach and that is there source of income, then that would make it there profession. And last I checked coaches do teach new students. Get off your soap box. No one cares what you do, as a matter of fact some peolple may even think more highly of you if they didnt know that you are a PROFESOR. You are no better than anybody. Just get off your high horse.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

A “D” license can substitute for a coach rating

I don't think that's quite true, but I might be wrong. D-license holder can jump with students, but they can't perform the things that require a coach rating (ie where an "instructional rating holder" is required). So a non-coach can't sign off coach jumps on the A-license proficiency card. Our DZ doesn't allow it at all... mainly for liability reasons.

Dave

I may be wrong, anyone feel free to correct me, but I believe Lodi does AFF with one instructor the entire training. Whereas the uspa program, you would have 2 instructors for your first 3 jumps.

There is a USPA course that uses one instructor through the entire training. My private course (not affiliated with Lodis program), which IS a USPA program that I run out of Lodi, consists of 2 working tandems and then single instructor AFF through out the rest of the course. It has worked great for students for many years, and even when I worked at a USPA drop zone. I have a few students that post on here that can atest to that.
Having 2 instructors doesn't always make the jump better, or safer. There have been many times, at a USPA DZ, that my reserve side funneled our exit and never even made it back up to my students reserve side. Some instructor can handle a student alone, and some cant. Plain and simple....

Lodi is a non-uspa dropzone. They don't have to comply with the rules that uspa dz's do.

Lodi is not a USPA group member DZ, your right. They do not need the advertisement, as the DZ stays busy enough. And if you think that just being Group Member keeps you safer, thats idiotic. I have seen alot of unsafe practices and BSR violations at USPA DZ's over the years. As a matter of fact, you'd probably get kicked off the drop zone at Lodi for doing something unsafe faster then you will at any USPA drop zone.

To the OP. You'll probably save money learning to skydive at some place close to home. One that will be your home DZ is probably the best advice. I have plenty of student fly to the states and go through my private course, but it's probably 10 times cheaper, were as your training will only save you a few hundred dollars. And if you have to repeat any levels, it will be even more.
Good luck with the new baby, you'll need the extra cash, as they aren't cheap......
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

A “D” license can substitute for a coach rating

I don't think that's quite true, but I might be wrong. D-license holder can jump with students, but they can't perform the things that require a coach rating (ie where an "instructional rating holder" is required). So a non-coach can't sign off coach jumps on the A-license proficiency card. Our DZ doesn't allow it at all... mainly for liability reasons.

Dave

You are correct, I meant simply in that they can jump with the student, but an instructor must still sign off on any of the requirements.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

But I really think the sport has gotten a "if you're not paying for it, you're not really learning something of value" attitude over the years and it's just not true.

The industry part of the sport has indeed. Plus, so many people are not comfortable looking past their own small world and considering the multiple ways of helping student and novice skydivers. Some may have never even been to a club type drop zone.

Wow! That is a lot of replies. Thank u all for your input. I am going to take care of my family first and foremost, but I am going to get into this sport. There are things I can do to make some extra money, but things with the house and family will come first. Right now I really want to get that first jump in. I know cheaper is not always better, but I have heard good things about the places I have said, but when you really want something like this and finances are a little short I tend to go to the cheaper way. Please understand this is not something I want to do just because it sounds fun or I'm looking for a little rush. I HAVE to do this as I said before it is what I have dreamed about ever since I can remember. I will find a way, and things may take a little time to start out, I'm fine with that, and family will come first always. The baby is 13 weeks along, a month ago I seen the baby on ultrasound, VERY VERY COOL. That is a really good feeling, I have to wait till about the end of April to find out what it will be. Again, thanks for the feedback.

you are still looking at another ~18 jumps to meet the rest of the requirements to get your A licence. Some of those are going to be coach jumps at close to $50-75 plus gear rental charges.

@ Lodi: $15/jump +gear (don't know how much but it's inexpensive)

NO ONE should have to pay for coach jumps, ask around.

@ Lodi: $15/jump +gear (don't know how much but it's inexpensive)

NO ONE should have to pay for coach jumps, ask around.

$35 for lift ticket, ALL your gear (rig, helmet with audible, goggles, altimeter, jump suit AND a pack job)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Can u give me any more info. on that place, I can't find anything on it?

Are you serious? :D Just go rent the movie "Fandango" (by Kevin Reynolds), or if you want the shorter version, "Proof" (also by Kevin Reynolds). :P (psst. It's a cult favorite of skydivers).

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon