Malta_Dog

Hard pull with B. Germain's pilote chute packing on an Icon

Since I'm off student status, I've used Brian Germain's pilot chute packing method on a rental Performance Variable Omega Student container. Pulling was just a bit harder than the 'conventional' method but didn't gave me any problem.

When I received my gear 2 weeks ago, I did some 'packing' training and noticed that the BOC was much tighter than what I was used to. I used Brian Germain's pilot chute packing method and tried to pull WHILE NOT WEARING THE RIG: it was hard but manageable (I now realize that this was a mistake not to do it with the rig on).
This saturday I had the opportunity to try my brand new Icon / Pilot. I was the last one to exit the plane as I wanted to dump higher to give me time to try stalls and flares up there.
When I pulled the pilot chute stayed in the BOC. I gave it a second (and last) powerful pull and out it came. The pull force was way beyond what I would call a reasonable level though.

I find B. Germain's method a clever guard against horseshoe mals, but as I experienced it I doubt that the pull of the D-bag on the bridle would be enough to extract the pilot chute from the BOC.
Is this method not compatible with the Icon's BOC or do I have to pack the pilot chute much tighter?

Your advices/recommendations are welcome.

All your dropzone are belong to us!!!!111!

The club I jump with had an issue just like this on an old club rig. The boc was a replacement after the last one wore out and was tight to say the least.

We had a rigger show us a way to pack the PC so that it took up much more of the length of the boc, disbursing the material as much as possible so the pull force was managable.

That may be a way forward for you. Or you can just have a new, loser boc put un... just remember they're tight for a reason.

I don't have an Icon, but I do use Brian's pilot chute packing method. What I do is "pound" on the pilot chute once it's in the BOC so that it is as flat as possible, and I've never had a hard pull yet.

**knocks on wood really quickly**
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I don't have an Icon, but I do use Brian's pilot chute packing method. What I do is "pound" on the pilot chute once it's in the BOC so that it is as flat as possible, and I've never had a hard pull yet.

**knocks on wood really quickly**

I DO have an Icon, and I do the exact same thing with the pounding. It's been a habit of mine after a really hard pull on some student gear. It does seem to flatten out the pilot chute more and make it fill out the BOC better, IMO.

I've used B. Germain's packing method for my PC for the last 140 jumps on my icon, never had any issues, but as other jumpers have already said, I always pound the BOC to flatten out the PC before jumping.

Blue skies

Warwick University Skydiving Club

Malta Dog,

give it a few jumps to let it strech a little bit,
work on the way you pack the pilot like B. Germain's methode and you will see that it will work out fine.
B. Germain's pilot chute pack method is not that much bigger then other methodes.

A FreeFly Gypsy

You might also try pounding on the pilot chute pouch before you put the pilot chute in it. Pushes the D-bag out of the way just a little bit. It makes the pouch slightly looser.

Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving