thirdworld19

Tipping AFFI

I know it's good practice to tip your tandem instructor. If/when you start taking the classes for your A license, do you also tip your AFF instructor(s)? Each time you jump? What about if you're doing an accelerated course (week long)? What would be an appropriate amount? Thanks.

Just give them beer. Lots of beer.

;)

No, you don't have to tip your AFF instructors. People usually buy a case of beer for everyone when they get their A licence, that's usually enough.

IMO, when you start jumping by yourself, as you do when you do AFF jumps, you are no longer a "paying passenger", but a real skydiver, and in a whole different class than a tandem student. You will probably pay for coaching from time to time your entire skydiving career, if you were going to tip all the time, you wouldn't have jump money left.

So: pay for your AFF jumps, and buy beer when you have your A licence.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Tipping in Australia is just... well, VERY odd... I would nearly find it insulting.

I bought a carton of VB ($35) for my AFF1 instructors and we sat around a round table having 2 - 3 beers each (along with a few skygods) and everyone was happy... plenty of fun conversations followed.

Come my AFF graduation, I will buy a carton of beer for the dropzone and a carton/bottle for my instructor (still got to ask my AFF instructor what he drinks, he's been with me from stage 2 - 6 so far and I'm assuming he will see me through) and a bottle of scotch (Glen fidditch 12 year, sussed it out) for my chief instructor/DZO.

It pays to be generous in your skydiving career, but handing money over is very impersonal, paying (gifting) in a carton of their favourite beer or in a bottle of their favourite spirits is well and truely enough IMO.

It pays to be generous in your skydiving career, but handing money over is very impersonal, paying (gifting) in a carton of their favourite beer or in a bottle of their favourite spirits is well and truely enough IMO.

I'd say you pretty much hit the nail on the head. The gift of a beverage also gives you the chance to enjoy it with them after hours and get to know them and the sport better. ;)
Less talking, more flying.

I know it's good practice to tip your tandem instructor. If/when you start taking the classes for your A license, do you also tip your AFF instructor(s)? Each time you jump? What about if you're doing an accelerated course (week long)? What would be an appropriate amount? Thanks.

I wouldn't dream of tipping. I order a service and pay for that service - The end.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Wow - thanks all. So basically anytime I jump, to be on the safe side, I should usually have a case of beer with me.

The list on the VT website was great, although someone will have to explain what some of those 'firsts' are - I am very new to this.

Naked jump - really!?! Wouldn't the wind chafe?
In the peas?
Kiss pass - can you really get your mouth into the pucker during FF?

Wow - thanks all. So basically anytime I jump, to be on the safe side, I should usually have a case of beer with me.

The list on the VT website was great, although someone will have to explain what some of those 'firsts' are - I am very new to this.

Naked jump - really!?! Wouldn't the wind chaf?
In the peas?
Kiss pass - can you really get your mouth into that shape during FF?

Basically, if you show up at the dz... bring beer :ph34r:
Which reminds me, I still owe some beer... :S

Not sure if the wind would chafe during a naked jump, but I'm sure there would be some shrinkage due to the cold :D:D
In the peas.. in the pea gravel target....
Yes, you can get your mouth into "that shape" for a kiss pass... one of these days I might find out first hand... [:/]
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Benjamin Franklin wrote (about a loan, but pretend it is a tip) in a letter dated April 22, 1784:

I do not pretend to give such a Sum; I only lend it to you. When you meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him; enjoining him to discharge the Debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands, before it meets with a Knave that will stop its Progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money.

In other words - the best tip is not cash to the AFF instructor (although some of my full time working friends appreciate these gifts to pay rent in the wintertime).... But instead, when you get good, helping someone who is trying to get good...

I'm with everyone else... bring a case of beer and save that tip money for future jumps. If you want to give us the warm and fuzzies, listen to what we have to teach you during your debriefs, thank us for the jump, give us a great big grin afterwards and tell us you had a blast and want to do it again... and then do it again :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I tip my AFF instructors, video guy and packer after each jump. I usually have to force them to take it though. I'm sure there is no right or wrong amount. Just what ever you can afford.

What about your pilot?!>:(:o

Last I checked, most pilots enjoy a beer at the end of the day. And for those hard working people during the day, a Gatorade or energy drink is also very appreciated.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

What about your pilot?!>:(:o

Last I checked, most pilots enjoy a beer at the end of the day. And for those hard working people during the day, a Gatorade or energy drink is also very appreciated.

Tip everyone else and their brother, but leave out the pilot...:S I'd luv to see how much jumping gets done without a pilot. Hmmmm..... But, it's typical.....[:/]

I tip my AFF instructors, video guy and packer after each jump. I usually have to force them to take it though. I'm sure there is no right or wrong amount. Just what ever you can afford.

Early on, level one or two, tip the AFF I's if you're so inclined. They're doing a job, and don't mind being paid.

Same for the video guy, the first jump or two with a guy, go ahead and tip.

Beyond level four or five, you're part of the family, and tipping is too much. Like others have said, beer is a good substitute at that point.

If you use a packer, tip them every day. They work hard, and don't get to jump for free like AFF I's and camera flyers.

If I'm not on sunset load, I do my best to pull a cold frosty one out of the frig and hand it to the pilot as s/he walks into the packing hanger. I help fill the thing and don't even drink beer. I don't think the elevator operator should ever have to chip in to the beer fund.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

You know, I probably would if he introduced himself. I don't know who he is. All I ever see is the back of his head.

I reckon! I literally was in shock the other day when the pilot came up to me after my AFF 5/6 jumps and said "how did your jump go?" and we chatted about skydiving.