Skylark

Unfriendly UK dropzones

Have you lived in England? My family used to - in the 1700's. They moved to Africa and each generation since then has returned to the UK to "find our roots" only to discover our clever ancestors had obviously chopped them out and shipped them to Africa.

If you had to live there, and listen to the tripe they talk, you'd also be grumpy.

eg. Pom says... "Nice weather we're having..."
Tonto looks outside. "It's fucking RAINING!"
Pom replies "Yes, but it's not coming in sideways or anything...":S

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Ah, thought this was semi-normal :)
There's a few hardarse, usually true veterans, in every club here. If you get caught making a mistake (even if you haven't been informed about some obscure bit of policy), they'll chew on your arse and spit it out.

Annoyed me to no end in the beginning. All the nice people make up for it though. They may be blunt and their approach leave a lot to be desired but I'll listen and learn and whenever necessary, appear to be attentive and then let their noise flow through one ear out the other when they're just being gits:)
It's not good for the sport though. Know of some students who've been so intimidated/put off by this attitude that they didn't continue.

While these guys and girls (the hardarses) are right 99% of the time, they may get better result if they deliver their message in a different way. Then again, they are who they are.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

I'm really enjoying all of your cute british "accents." :P

Just curious (i know its a bit off topic ) but do people around the world think that all us brits talk either like Londoners or the Queen? Cos beleive me, we dont!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

Seeing as we are shamelessly plugging UK dropzones here :-) Thought i would join in.

Come and try Target Skysports (its grim up north) owners of the three fastest turbines in the UK. Two twin turbine Dornier 28 G-92's and a Single Turbine SMG G-92, all can get to 14,500ft in about 11 minutes. Though Weston seem to be enjoying one of the Dornier's at the moment.

And no I'm not on the staff. They were always good to me when I was a visting jumper so it became my regular dropzone when I eventually left university and got a job. large bar, skydivers day room, canteen, covered packing hanger.

Tom

Yeah - weston has one of the Dorniers at the mo, the other one is bust and Redlands is getting the SMG very soon - no matter how much H bitches about it - have it on good authority from the owner.

PS - anyone ever had a run in with Kenny at Hinton - now thats an arse...

Yeah - weston has one of the Dorniers at the mo, the other one is bust and Redlands is getting the SMG very soon - no matter how much H bitches about it - have it on good authority from the owner.

PS - anyone ever had a run in with Kenny at Hinton - now thats an arse...

Did you tell him that to his face? Or did you fuck up and are a little embarrassed?
"Don't ever knock on deaths door, just ring the bell and run away - it really pisses him off"

No - didnt tell him to his face, in fact I make sure I get on very well with him - I seem to be one of the only people in the world he's not bawled out.

I have however seen him be incredibly nasty to many students and even shouted so much at one woman (including pulling her round by her rig) that she started crying and when it came to jump bottled it and went down with the plane.

Just no need[:/]

Have to agree with Ian, only got bit by Kenny when I deserved it. Mostly;)

Now there are a couple of other characters at Hinton and Headcorn and Chatteris and.... who throw thier wieght around. As a newbie if you can hang on in for a while you get to see that its generally nothing personal, just how these types are. But I do reckon there are a proportion of newbies who give up, because instead on receiving mentoring and coaching, all they get is bull$h!t and public humiliation. As a visitor to a new DZ it doesn't make you feel welcome to be put down in public.

A certain videographer at Hinton loudly put me down because I didn't dock with a friend on a tandem:(, cheered me up no end when it turned out he switched his camera OFF just before climbout:o:D:P.

Pretty dissapointed for my friend though.[:/]>:(

I guess its up to us friendly, welcoming, helpfull and happy skydivers to keep an eye open on our local DZ arseholes. When we see someone being unfairly blasted, I guess the point is to make sure the victim knows we're not all like that.

I guess its up to us friendly, welcoming, helpfull and happy skydivers to keep an eye open on our local DZ arseholes. When we see someone being unfairly blasted, I guess the point is to make sure the victim knows we're not all like that.

And make sure that they know its nothing personal - some people are just like that to everyone

Agreed.:)

I made my first jump at a UK dropzone yesterday, after many jumps in Europe and the United States. I had been told that some UK dropzones were particularly frosty to newcomers and was disapointed to discover this was indeed true.

Shame is I've heard this from lots of visiting foreigners and now I've been to DZ's abroad I have to agree. Question is what to do about it? I can't believe that DZO's here really want people put off from visiting us. Maybe they don't see it happening, after all who is going to bite the DZO?

I had asked to borrow a jumpsuit and inquired whether there was somewhere I could change. I was thrown a look as if I were stupid and told I should change in the reception area

Fuck them,....... I am NOT bashfull.... I would have done it........................

"Where's your hook-knife?", he barked.

"I don't have one".

-->"Right, get this person off the load!" he angrily shouted.

fuck them twice...........

spend your money somewhere you can have fun..... some jerks are just that..........JERKS.......

Kinda like when I am around Los Angeles........ I would prefer to go to Elsinore.......... they have fun without the major ego's..........

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Id say the more unfriendly dzs are the "Tandem factories" as they just like to get the cash in and the people through.

With the DZs that rely more on regular jumpers and fewer tandems cos they need the regular jumpers to make some money.

What made me laugh last year at peterlee was the people moaning about not having a turbine, but yet they turn up week after week :)

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Id say the more unfriendly dzs are the "Tandem factories

You are probably right, but as an example of a "tandem factory"..... here in washington state Snohomish has a rep of being a tandem and student factory, and they supposibly will snub/slot/smack and make you feel like a piece of shit........ if you are a up-jumper...........but my experience with them has been nothing but positive..........yes they make most of their money from tandems and students, but I havent ever been made to feel like I should have gone elsewhere..........

Roy

I used to jump at a drop zone in Kent - moved to the north east now jump at a place called peterlee - best move i ever made.

Is this the peterlee fan club forum?

I'm sure if Ian did more than 20 lifts in a day, he'd probably have a little less time, but are we ever going to see 20 lifts in a day up north?

do people around the world think that all us brits talk either like Londoners or the Queen

--- AWWWWW HELL............. when women talk like that it really gets me turned on.............you mean its all fake???:P

Roy

I'm sure if Ian did more than 20 lifts in a day, he'd probably have a little less time, but are we ever going to see 20 lifts in a day up north?

I'm confused, easily done many would say, but what would I have a little less time for?
[:/]
"Don't ever knock on deaths door, just ring the bell and run away - it really pisses him off"

:

I'm really enjoying all of your cute british "accents."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just curious (i know its a bit off topic ) but do people around the world think that all us brits talk either like Londoners or the Queen? Cos beleive me, we dont!

LOL - at my DZ here in OZ one of the staff is from Newcastle. Nobody understands what he saying... especially when he had a few beers - not even his girl friend ..... It is always "sure Davie, yes Davie (i.e. no idea what you said mate):)
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.