timmerk

Looking to skydive for first time.. possible at 300lbs?

I really want to go skydiving for my first time, and eventually jump enough to get certified (class A). However, I can't seem to find any place where I can jump because of my weight - 300lbs. Despite the weight, I am pretty healthy. My weight without fat is about 260lbs, which I write here to show that I'm not just a total blob of fat. :)

So my question is, anyone know of a place that will let me jump in Michigan and/or Arizona? Maybe they have a big boy rig? What about if I buy my own equipment used - could I then find a place that would train me and let me jump with my own equipment if they checked it out and packed the chutes?

Thanks!

There was a thread a few weeks ago about the same situation, one of the experienced posters (maybe a mod?) helped the larger jumper (280lbs) out via PM/email.

I think the general consensus was that it's got more risk but it IS possible.

This is the thread that Chubba referenced... should give you a good idea of the challenges involved.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3174738
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I work at Lodi and we have larger tandem rigs and routinely take very large passengers; each instructor has his own limit. There is a surcharge of one dollar a pound for every pound over 200 but the tandem itself is only $100. For more details call Bill Dause at 209 369 1128.

The chap is new, couldn't hurt to help him out a wee bit eh?

Here y'go mate

Although I am a member of a different niche community (www.deafskydivers.org) your niche is www.anvilbrothers.com --

There's a listing of members (and emails) there with names of dropzones, that should help you track down a dropzone. Ask dropzone.com member BIGUN and many others, I witnessed some useful threads in the last two years. Good info!

before anyone gives you the WRONG advice. there is no harness out there that is TSO'd for 300lbs. while a tandem system may be able to carry 500lbs total, or whatever. the harness that YOU are wearing, a single harness, is still no TSO'd to carry 300lbs.

It is a sticky and gray area, even PD makes a reserve that carries more weight than the TSO of any harness that it can be packed into.

S suggestions of a 100lb tandem master and the 300lb passenger being legal, is not really. Or at least I am not interested in testing those legal waters.

bottom line is that even if you find a place willing to take you does not mean that it is safe for you. 100lb people do not play pro football and 300lb people do not skydive.

bottom line is that even if you find a place willing to take you does not mean that it is safe for you. 100lb people do not play pro football and 300lb people do not skydive.

I keep finding plenty of people who exceed 300 out the door to jump with though...fun stuff I have to arch..;)

Lots more fun than flying like a board trying to stay with people who weigh half of what I do on some of the jumps I do...freakin little floatybutts:P

What do you mean by "larger"?

I believe Parachute Center is now using Sigmas?

Are you using large mains (i.e. Precision 400, or Sigma 395), or larger Drogues?

Is Parachute Center still putting heavies out at 6000 ft AGL?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

before anyone gives you the WRONG advice. there is no harness out there that is TSO'd for 300lbs. while a tandem system may be able to carry 500lbs total, or whatever. the harness that YOU are wearing, a single harness, is still no TSO'd to carry 300lbs.

Sorry TK but I've got to call you on that. My Mirage is Cat B and therefore doesn't have a max weight, only a max speed.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

do you mean tso-c23b? That refers to parachutes, not harnesses. Mirages website does not appear to refer to any weight limits so maybe you are right. However, I also said:

"bottom line is that even if you find a place willing to take you does not mean that it is safe for you."

if what you say is true, then I could be 550lbs and still use a Mirage harness, which regardless of what any documentation says, would not be safe and would most likely be considered gross negligence in the legal world.

if what you say is true, then I could be 550lbs and still use a Mirage harness, which regardless of what any documentation says, would not be safe and would most likely be considered gross negligence in the legal world.

550 lbs, might be stretching it. However, I've got a copy of Mirage's droptest data laying around in a box somewhere (just moved). The max tested weights are very high and that data should be sufficient to move it out of the realm of gross negligence for someone who is 300 lbs.

Ultimately, it's a question of safety. ie Can the gear handle it? In '05, through a combination of inexpexerience and related bad decision-making, I personally discovered that the Mirage is able to withstand a 180 mph deployment with a weight of ~320 lbs without any damage to the harness (verified by a factory inspection).

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

we are nit-picking, their manual says never exceed 130kts deployment speed, therefore it does not matter what you have experienced. It is what is documented by the manufacturer that the FAA looks at.

If you advertise TSO C23xxx whatever, then whatever that spec is is what your gear is rated for. to exceed it is 'violating federal law'

we all know that a Twin Otter can do aerobatic maneuvers, but the manufacturer prohibits it, therefore you cannot.

If it is a question of safety, then the gear alone does not answer that question. Whether the gear can handle it or not is not the only issue, there are exits, landings, deployment speeds, canopy control and a host of others.

The sport as it is today is not designed to teach 300lb people to skydive (as a general rule). There may be exceptions, but I have yet to see one.

I keep finding plenty of people who exceed 300 out the door to jump with though...fun stuff I have to arch..;)

300lbs. exit weight and 300lbs. body weight aren't the same. A possible solo rig for someone in the 300 lb. range would be a MC-4/5 military rig. So figure about 350lb. Exit weight.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

300lbs. exit weight and 300lbs. body weight aren't the same. A possible solo rig for someone in the 300 lb. range would be a MC-4/5 military rig. So figure about 350lb. Exit weight.

There are several off the shelf sport rigs that can handle jumpers that heavy. A short but by no means all inclusive list would be Racer, Mirage, and some Vectors.

There is no need to strap someone into a military rig. And honestly, IMO as an owner of both a sport and military freefall rig, the miltiary rig is not a good idea for several reasons.

1. The military rig is unnecessarily heavy (due to military-specific mods) which excaberates the weight problem. A comparable sport rig will run somehwere between 25-35 lbs, ie around half the weight.

2. The rig uses a dual pin ripcord which is utterly different in both rigging/closing and pull procedures/location than the sport gear a jumper will eventually transition into. This requires an extensive bit of gear refamiliarization, and, IMO, comprimises safety for a number of jumps until the jumper becomes totally comfortable using the throw-out system. Ripcord jumpers are trained to hold onto the ripcord after deployment and this can lead to issues such as horseshoes or complications during emergency procedures because you only have one hand free since you revert to training in high-stress scenarios and you were trained to hold onto that ripcord.

3. The gear is not designed to be flown in a sporting type manner. This leads to issues such as the non-collapsible pilot chute coming over the nose in agressive manuvers or the quick-release legstrap hardware coming undone when some one grabs it wrong or when something snags the prominent and unprotected ejector lever.

-Blind