sraja

Economy & Skydiving

As long as the wuffos keep jumping, I can keep jumping. I don't really spend any of my income from my regular job on jumps. It only affects my ability to drive to and from the dz (which is only 25 minutes from home) and how much I can spend on beer.

I agree that the WFFC isn't a good indicator of skydiving.

I also was talking with a friend this weekend about the rising costs of Jet Fuel and how the economy is doing. Right now jump prices at my dz are lower than what I would guess to be a national average because we can squeak by and we are a club. If Jet A keeps going up its gonna drive prices up though.

If the economy doesn't turn around and it doesn't seem like it is going to, I think we are going to start seeing the vast number of boogies shrink. People aren't going to travel so far. I think we will start to see less turbine dzs too. The big ones will stay and get bigger and a lot of other places might end up cessna dzs again. For what it's worth, you couldn't pay me enough money to start a DZ right now.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The cancellation of WFFC is a pretty poor indicator of the Skydiving industry's health.

There are more boogies than ever with turbine and specialty aircraft, and load organizers all around the country. The fact that WFFC had less and less of the "special things" to offer, and those that they did could be easily found at local DZ's is what spelled the death of WFFC.

100% agree. The everglades boogie in Clewiston had balloons, a fighter jet ride, a huey and it was local to Florida.

Personally if I was going to travel for a boogie I'd rather go to Elisnore, Perris or Puerto Rico than to some corn field in Illinois. There are a lot of really good boogies going on all over the place at DZs that have solid reputations and better views.

Perris has views? Could have fooled me (unless you like looking at dust and dirt).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

All of aviation is expensive. Skydiving is just like flying in that the more money you put into it the more you are able to do it. Yuppized? That is all perception. I know more college kids that got started and got their A licences last year then people with "real jobs". Its because the college kids were willing to save and work hard to do it while the others were not as focused and didn't want to spend their money on it. To some people the college kids were "yuppies" since they didn't have a 15 year old car and were eating more then Ramen noodles. To the college kids they were working 25-30 hours a week and doing their full time class schedule just to have money to jump that weekend.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I do make alot of money thanks for noticeing! BTW it is easyer to make money when you spend less time bitching someone is holding you down, or all the rich white men make all the money!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Even though my wife and I make > 200K I'm starting to skip boogies and concentrate my jump $$

Skydiving is a yuppie sport[:/] Judging by that fact that nobody is complaining, I guess a lot of you guys must make a lot of money.

It's more a question of priorities.

Before I became a Yuppy, I split a three bedroom town house for $900 a month total or $300 per person when I'd have spent $650 on a one bedroom apartment. Savings: 17 skydives a month not having a one bedroom apartment. Lots of skydivers have room mates.

Before I became a Yuppy, I drove a 26 year old car. A decent used car at the time would have run about $200 a month. Savings: 10 skydives a month. People like to joke that you can tell when a skydiver started jumping by the age of their car.

Before I became a Yuppy, I didn't have cable or satellite TV which later ran about $60 a month. Savings: 3 skydives a month.

IOW by not doing the things "frugal" people usually do I saved enough to make up to 360 skydives a year; although I usually only made 150-200.

Annecdotally, I don't think the yuppies out number the non-yuppies. I've know plenty of skydivers who were teachers, construction workers, fishermen, military guys, bar tenders, etc.

I do make alot of money thanks for noticeing! BTW it is easyer to make money when you spend less time bitching someone is holding you down, or all the rich white men make all the money!

No Shit! America is the land of opportunity! COME GET SOME!

I know more college kids that got started and got their A licences last year then people with "real jobs".

Normally, I don't really get into these kinda debates but I must be feeling a little "Froggy". :ph34r::ph34r:

While I agree with your comment, I have also seen that Mommy and Daddy pay for that. Going to college (we will not talk about when) my part time job paid for books, gas, car upkeep and whatever else my LOAN did not pay for. With the family structure now, parents have MUCH more income then when I grew up. My brother and I are 10 years apart and the difference was uncanny. My parents gave out more money to "pay for" not being there to buy life experiences. I am always amazed at the young people coming into the sport with a healthy bank account. :)

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

As long as the wuffos keep jumping, I can keep jumping.

That’s a risky bet. Gas is now $4/gallon. In Los Angeles, it is 90 miles to any dropzone. Gas is now a huge determining factor how people spend their leisure time.

If you are making a 6-figure income, I don’t expect you to relate to what I’m saying, however most skydivers are not so financially affluent.

The Tandem and AFF student counts have dropped dramatically in the last 5 years. Back then, dropzones like Perris would do entire loads filled with Tandems. Now you only see a handful of students throughout the day. The up-jumper count has also dropped and there are only half the loads per day compared to 5 years ago.

If you are happy, fine. Don’t acknowledge the decline. Let the DZO’s worry about it. I see the decline in activity everywhere I go.