JohnnyBoulder

Second audible altimeter freefall warning altitudes ...

I am curious to hear how those of you who have two audible altimeters use them. I have an L&B Optima II and am considering adding a second audible. The subject of why someone might want two has been discussed in a number of posts on the forums. Below is a link to a recent discussion on warning altitude settings, which is related to this topic.

Currently I have my audible warning altitudes set to 500' before break-off, 500' before pull altitude when I should be flaring and waving, and a hard deck of 2500. Assuming I stick with this setup, one thought I had would be to set the second unit's altitudes the same so I would hear the warnings in stereo and also provide a backup to normal use. I am curious if those who have taken this route notice differences in when the warnings sound, particularly if different models. Another thought I had would be to overlap the warning altitudes - for example set the second audible first warning altitude at the hard deck, then the other two 500' lower, respectively. This might get confusing though. Another thought would be to set the second model at 500' below the hard deck and so on - the point being if I ever hear the second audible warnings things have gone bad.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4589736;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I set them both to the same altitudes. They're the same model, but they're rarely perfectly in sync, which I'll notice on the ride up when they chime at 1000 feet, usually a little offset from each other.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have two and they are set to the same altitudes. They're generally synced fairly well but there can be a little variance...nothing large enough to get excited about. Mine are set to 2, 3, 4.5, I think. I move the top, depending, but never the bottom two.

I found staggering the altitudes to be annoying and not worth it - particularly for the type of skydiving I do...based on your setup, it seems, you'd be looking at a new beep every 2-3 seconds for 2K feet...4 beeps is a lot for breakoff, turn, track and pull, in my opinion.

I found 2 audibles to be obnoxious, even with different tones.

I prefer to keep it simple now, use only one, and set tones to break-off, pull, and stop dicking around altitudes.

I'm not a fan of setting them early or 500ft high since the purpose of the sound is to trigger a warning or reaction in my mind... hear first tone: turn and track... hear second tone: brakes and pull... if I even hear my third warning (occasionally): is my parachute scaring me?

I played around with a lot of settings over the years but have settled on this now.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Glad to see this thread. I jump personally with two audible altimeters (TIME OUT and Protrack). Even if I have a weak batteries warning on both devices, you never know when one of them will indicate such a warning. It can be in the middle of the jumping day or anytime. OTOH proper replacement batteries are not always available on location. Obviously I use my Protrack data to fill up my logbook on the evening. Both device alarms are set the same (5000, 2500 and 1500). I highly recommend people to jump with two audible altimeters especially camera jumpers who can be very focused on in order to get a good shot
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I don't jump with two audibles, but I do jump with an optima with the led light in front of my eye. I get two different types of warnings so I suppose it accomplishes the same thing if you are setting two to the same altitudes. I definitely hear my audible and the flashing light is enough to catch your attention.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

mcordell

I don't jump with two audibles, but I do jump with an optima with the led light in front of my eye. I get two different types of warnings so I suppose it accomplishes the same thing if you are setting two to the same altitudes. I definitely hear my audible and the flashing light is enough to catch your attention.

Not really. People use two audibles so that if one fails to work on a jump they still have the other. I want that redundancy because I do certain types of jump (speed) where a visual alti is not really an option so I have to rely on an audible. I really don't want to be screaming through 4k ft at 250+mph waiting for an audible alarm that never comes.

I use an Optima and an old Pro Dytter both set to the same altitudes. The Dytter seems to be the more reliable of the two.

Yea I don't do jumps where I can't use a visual so I wasn't thinking along those lines. I'm usually turning to track just before my audible goes off because I keep a good eye on my viso throughout. I can't comment on anything but belly flying since that's what I do....
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

ProTrack and Neptune, same settings.
4.4 - turn/track
3.1 - should have pitched by now, close to last chance.
2 - Time to get the shit out fast.

They are never the same, and the beep sounds different, but close enough.

Purely cause I don't trust a battery, and one CAN loose alti awareness.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I use one optima II, but I have thought about getting another one and just setting one alarm on it to the hard deck... just incase one fails the hard deck alarm could be backed up.
I have thought that 2 wouldn't be very comfortable inside my G3 though... i guess its worth a try.