mjaconetta1

Emergency exit

In most instances that I can think of I would rather hop and pop. But most of the time I get out at 4k, so I would have been out already. :ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

What do you do on an emergency exit of plane. it was at 6000 ft and in control. do you hop and pop or do you hop track away then pop. Just wondering because we had a little of both.

At 6k with an in-control plane, do whatever kind of exit you want. You've got about 28 seconds before you reach 2k minimum opening altitude. Play.

Where am I? If I'm over or near a clear landing area, I'm less concerned about opening immediately out the door. If I'm not over or near a clear landing area but the pilot's telling me to get the fuck out anyway, I'm thinking a hop & pop is my best option because I can cover more ground under canopy than in a track to get to clear ground to land.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

hop and pop, that gives the pilot all the airspace below to get control of the plane without worrying about a canopy being in the way
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

If it is near the dropzone I would do a normal jump (get out all the time dispatching students at 3500)

If it is far from the dropzone, deployment altitude would depend on the congestion on the ground. Heavily treed - higher. Open Country - lower (around 3 grand or so to ensure an opportunity to pick a spot for landing).

Junior jumpers should default to higher openings to allow for the adrenaline rush to pass and pick their landing area and their path to it.

Blue Ones

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

At 6000', I would exit on my main.

I have a cut-off altitude for exiting on my reserve instead of my main, but that's a personal decision that would be different for everyone, depending on factors like gear and experience.

There might be reasons to take a freefall, but I default to hop&pop, any altitude.
Johan.
I am. I think.

We covered emergency exits during Safety Day. I would say about 9 people showed up out of probably 200 that were present. So much for safety day.

If there is a problem that is bad enough for the pilot to tell you to EXIT EXIT EXIT, you should be doing a hop and pop because you won't have time to see where you are other than altitude. And as someone else pointed out, the airplane has clearer airspace below the canopies.

Everyone should be on the same page for emergency procedures. I am really surprised that we are not.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

Does everyone know not to rush the door in a cabin type aircraft, such as an Otter or Caravan? Only a few people should move at a time. If everyone runs to the back of the plane, it can easily stall. If you're in the front of the plane, be patient.

Just wanted to star this note. Thanks for mentioning it. It often gets left out of 'emergency exit' discussions, in my experience, but is obviously crucial.

Especially when the adrenaline is pumping.
Signatures are the new black.

Does everyone know not to rush the door in a cabin type aircraft, such as an Otter or Caravan? Only a few people should move at a time. If everyone runs to the back of the plane, it can easily stall. If you're in the front of the plane, be patient.

Probably the MOST important thing to know in an emergency.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

What do you do on an emergency exit of plane. it was at 6000 ft and in control. do you hop and pop or do you hop track away then pop. Just wondering because we had a little of both.

At 6k with an in-control plane, do whatever kind of exit you want. You've got about 28 seconds before you reach 2k minimum opening altitude. Play.

Depends where the dropzone is and how nice the alternatives are.

An extra 3000 feet under canopy may get you over a mile closer to the dropzone or a more pleasant landing area like a soccer field or golf course.